PDA

View Full Version : mem leak in .20 ?

robk
04-29-2005, 05:01 PM
I notice that after an hour to hour and 1/2 show eq slows down quite a bit as well as the system and is only fixed by a reboot of my suse 9.2 box. I admit I have not spent a great deal of time looking into why just wondering if anyone else is seeing an issue.

My box is fully patched suse 9.2 733 p3 512 ram 1024 swap 40 gig drive 100meg connection. Running top shows no zombie 1-2% load and low mem utilization.

I am running the rpm version for suse posted here.

On a side note any new maps for the new baz and dragons expansion?

Thanks

Rob

any info I can provide is yours just ask.

tanner
04-30-2005, 04:28 PM
Could run it through valgrind, not sure how it will perform on your system, but it will tell you where memory is being leaked.

purple
05-02-2005, 06:36 AM
I ran valgrind on a tcpdump file from about 12 hours of playtime and it only leaked about 1k. I have a hard time believing a day or two grinds your machine down. Can you cut and paste the starting shpiel from when you run showeq? Just up to Loading preferences file. It'll have compiler and qt version numbers in it.

monster69
05-06-2005, 02:36 PM
I am having a similar problem. I don't believe it's a memory leak problem. It seems to be a problem between showeq and QT.

Showeq will run great in some zones and terribly slow in others, to the point where even hunt circles blink slow. If I resize the screen, most of the time it will clear up the problem.

I am not sure what to capture information wise to help troubleshoot this, so feel free to bash me about the head.

It has nothing to do at all with packet capturing as I just started showeq at work (no EQ packets to capture) and it is exibiting the behavior now.

Monster

p.s. Running:
Using GCC version: 3.3.5
Using glibc version: 2.3
Using Qt version: 3.3.3
Using headers from linux version: 2.6.8

purple
05-06-2005, 03:03 PM
What zones? Is it always the same ones? Are those always slow or is it just rarely?

monster69
05-06-2005, 09:52 PM
Sorry, I worded that poorly. It's not tied to particular zones. i.e. sometimes PoK is great sometimes its slow. resize screen and it will clear up. Zone into Draniks and sometimes its good sometimes it's slow.

I wish I could nail down something concrete but it really does not seem related to anything particular about the game. I could be wrong of course.

Cryonic
05-06-2005, 10:34 PM
the fact that resizing clears it up suggests that it is still something odd about X that is going on. I'm guessing if you bring top up when SEQ seems to be misbehaving, you'll see X using most of your CPU time.

monster69
05-07-2005, 05:13 AM
Yes, your right Cryonic. Normal on my PC is ~34% for X, when its running slow its ~99% for X.

I remember this problem for a long time ago, so gonna spend some time searching to see what was done to resolve it.

Monster

p.s. xorg version 6.8.2-r1 although I remember this being an issue well before xorg.

purple
05-07-2005, 07:15 AM
How do you have seq set up? How many docked/undocked windows and what which components are open? Is it possible to reproduce this somewhat or is it just totally random? If you can reproduce it, try to reproduce it with the map closed.

Assuming it's the map, do you do anything special with it? Do you have filters for the zones that it screws up? Do you zoom?

What do you have for the following options:
- Options -> Fast Computer
- Spawn List->Immediate Update
- Map -> Map Optimization
- Map -> Always Repaint Map Cache
- Map -> Cache Changes
- Map -> Frame Rate

Do you have any freakin' huge files in ~/.showeq/logs? How about you /usr/local/share/showeq/spawnlog.txt?

monster69
05-10-2005, 08:35 AM
How do you have seq set up? How many docked/undocked windows and what which components are open?
A picture (http://members.cox.net/neffab/snapshot1.jpg) is worth a thousand words.
Left side is 'Spawn List 2', 'Spawn Point List' and 'Spell List'
I don't have any undocked windows. What you see is what I run.

Is it possible to reproduce this somewhat or is it just totally random?
Pretty much random although it happens quite often. Approx. every other time I load or zone. Also, it has nothing at all to do with EQ. I can start SEQ with no EQ to sniff and sometimes it will be fine, sometimes slow.

If you can reproduce it, try to reproduce it with the map closed.
I could NOT reproduce it with the map closed. As a matter of fact, I had saved prefs with no map, opened/closed a dozen times; no problems. With it up and running good, I opened the map window (still docked) and it choked to death.

Assuming it's the map, do you do anything special with it? Do you have filters for the zones that it screws up? Do you zoom?
I don't do anything particularly special. Some zones have filters (no more than a dozen entries) but it makes no difference if its a filtered zone or not. I normally do not zoom. If SEQ is running slow, zoom is miserable. If SEQ is running normal zoom works normal.

What do you have for the following options:
- Options -> Fast Computer
- Spawn List->Immediate Update
- Map -> Map Optimization
- Map -> Always Repaint Map Cache
- Map -> Cache Changes
- Map -> Frame Rate
Fast Machine = checked
Immediate Update = not checked
Map Optimization = Normal
Always Repaint Map Cache = Not checked
Cache Changes = checked
Frame Rate = 5 fps

Do you have any freakin' huge files in ~/.showeq/logs? How about you /usr/local/share/showeq/spawnlog.txt?
global.log is pretty huge although it hasn't been touched in a long time:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 281260 May 10 07:14 exp.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 30427022 Jan 23 22:05 global.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 728510 May 10 07:14 newexp.log
spawnlog is getting a bit out of control as well. I had turned it on to collect spawns for BA for his filters and forgot about it.

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 39293006 May 10 09:15 spawnlog.txt

I really appreciate your digging into this, although it sounds like it may be as simple as running with the map undocked might make a difference. I still wonder why it is exibiting this behavior though.

Monster

Zaphod
05-10-2005, 12:55 PM
I'll place my 2cp on you having an ATI video card and having X font anti-aliasing enabled...

Try going into the KDE Control Center to the "Appearance & Themes" -> "Fonts" tab and unchecking "Use anti-aliasing for fonts" and see if your performance improves...

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

monster69
05-10-2005, 03:07 PM
Bingo.

Anti-aliasing was definately it. 15 clean starts in a row.

So, ATI + anti-aliasing == bad mojo. Is this a common problem across a lot of X apps?

Thanks Zaphod, purple and Cryonic.

Monster

purple
05-10-2005, 03:25 PM
Man, Z always wins.

BlueAdept
05-10-2005, 05:06 PM
spawnlog is getting a bit out of control as well. I had turned it on to collect spawns for BA for his filters and forgot about it.

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 39293006 May 10 09:15 spawnlog.txt

Drool...

Ftp it to me. ftp.blueadept.net Login:[email protected] Password:spawnlog

I have been doing quite a bit of work on my site and will eventually get the filters updated for all the zones (at least the ones I can get to).

Please either tar and gzip it or bzip it (prefer bz because it takes up a lot less space). If you can, run Cryonic's script on it to filter out the mounts, pets, and what not, that would also help. You can find it here http://www.showeq.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=370 There is also one that isn't as good on my site.

I lost my log parser a while ago after an HD crash but still manually go through the logs I get (usually my own logs). I just got DoN and am slowly building up enough to create some new filters.

monster69
05-10-2005, 06:36 PM
No bingo, still happening.

BA, I will get that to you tonight some time.

Monster