PDA

View Full Version : Packet encryption change?

Barshamm
04-30-2005, 06:43 AM
Guys, I've been using Showeq for 2 years now, and I play on test server a lot. Showeq always gets SOME information and sees packets just fine, it's even worked when I'd change a few offsets before. Now, since a patch this morning, it does not see ANY packets except the SEQClosing one. I've never seen this behaviour before. Everything works fine in EQ Live.
Any ideas?

*edited for stupid title*

purple
04-30-2005, 07:15 AM
Opcodes all changed, net layer looks fine. Oh joy.

BlueAdept
04-30-2005, 07:31 AM
NM. Purple beat me.

Damn sony and their opcode changes. At least it wasn't an encryption change.

Barshamm
04-30-2005, 07:37 AM
Whew, thank God for that. I was scared to death hehe. I've always gotten SOMEthing before, just never no packets at all.

purple
04-30-2005, 08:06 AM
They used to just bump opcodes a little bit, so changes were incremental. Recently, instead of small changes, every single opcode changes. Needless to say, this is a pain in the ass.

There's also some struct changes as well I think, but I didn't take a lot of time to look into it. So I'm guessing next patch we're gonna have a bit more downtime than usual.

Barshamm
05-08-2005, 07:18 AM
Ok then, is there any docs on what to look for in Opcode changes that a person could use to identify the changed opcodes so that I can get the changes made for my test client? It'd sure help me and seems like it might just get me back into coding, I've not done any programming since the 80's /grin

BlueAdept
05-08-2005, 08:17 AM
Search is your friend...

Anyone can help with mapping opcodes if they have time. To do so:
1) Pick an opcode from the unmapped list (the zoneopcodes.xml may have more info if you don't know what the opcode is. Check the comment field)
2) Turn on Unknown logging in seq (Network->Log->Unknown Zone Data)
3) tail -f ~/.showeq/logs/unknown.log
4) Make sure unknown.log isn't moving a lot (going to a quiet zone may help)
5) Do whatever it is you want to check the opcode for and watch the tail

For example, say I wanted to find out what OP_Sneak is. I'd turn on Unknown Zone Data, tail -f ~/.showeq/logs/unknown.log, then watch it a bit. Right now, it's moving showing a lot of 0x7032 which look like this (data made up, so don't try to figure out this opcode from this!):

Feb 06 2005 14:28:35:533 [Server->Client] [Size: 3]
[OPCode: 0x7032]
000 | 1c 02 31

You'll see where it says "OPCode: 0x7032". That means that seq is seeing that opcode. So now, you go and hit Sneak on your rogue and check the tail, looking for a different OPCode. Test a couple of times to make sure you've found the OPCode that seq sees when you sneak. When you're sure, you're done. You've found the OPCode for OP_Sneak. You can update your own zoneopcodes.xml to make that not show up in Unknown Zone Data if you want, and come and post it so I can update my version. If you do update your own opcode XML, you may see a data length warning on the console if the underlying struct has changed. Don't be scared, just post the error and it will get fixed.

Since you said nothing works, you will probably need to start with the network op codes.

purple
05-08-2005, 08:57 AM
Every single opcode is changed on test so you're in for a big job. Of course I'm in for that same job on Wednesday when they patch live, so any help you want to give me wouldn't hurt *grin*. From the 15 minutes I gave it on 4/30, it looked like there were a handful of struct changes on test as well, which is when I just dropped messing with it because I didn't want to spend a couple hours fixing things just to have it different on live when they patch.

When there is a full opcode shuffle, I usually turn zone logging on, zone, then turn off zone logging. Then I walk the log comparing to a log from pre-patch where the opcodes are known. This knocks out about 50% of the opcodes. Then I try to figure out the spawn related ones so the map/spawnlist starts working. Usually I'm lucky and some nice people like ieatacid are on IRC and helping by using disassembly to pull out opcodes from the client and I can merge those in and usually that's most of the big ones so seq is working again at that point.

Net opcodes don't change. It's the app opcodes (world and zone) that change.

Barshamm
05-08-2005, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the replies! Looks like this old man has some catching up to do hehe. I'll try to stumble through a bit of this and see if I can find anything intelligible in the stream =)

uRit1u2CBBA=
05-08-2005, 01:57 PM
The Veteran's Rewards are going live with this patch. Some of the structure changes prolly has something to do with that.

Cryonic
05-08-2005, 06:58 PM
some but I don't think all the structure that is live on test will come over to Live. In the past it has been better to wait for patch day and fix SEQ once rather than use test to get SEQ ready and still need to change stuff after the patch.

QuerySEQ
05-13-2005, 04:58 PM
If I can help, I will .

What you want me to do? so I don't "overwrite" what is already being worked on?

I am coming back to EQ after a exodus to EQ2 and WoW, fun.. but to be honest. It isnt as exciting as getting 60+ people on a raid in EQ.

Much better social interactions in EQ.

Anyways, I am looking at a holy mess of unknowns right now. Gotta start somewhere.