PDA

View Full Version : ShowEQ 5.0.0.21 (live compatibility for 5/11/05)

purple
05-15-2005, 10:30 AM
ShowEQ 5.0.0.21 has been released. This is my first official release, so when it bombs out, it's probably my fault. I don't have access to the news forum, so this is the best you're gonna get!

This works against live servers. Thanks to Doodman, FatherNitwit, and ieatacid for a lot of help with opcodes and struct changes.

Changelog:

purple (05/11/05)
----------------------
+ Updated version to 5.0.0.21
+ Added some session-related opcodes to worldopcodes.xml
+ Fixed opcodes for alt exp and hooked altExpUpdateStruct so alt exp updating
maps properly
+ Made it so OP_ManaChange can be 0 size. Bards have this a lot.
+ Fix problems with guilds numbered higher than 512
+ Added unknown world data to the unknown log
+ Fixed the skills window to properly show skills > 252
+ Show strings in the spawnlist as utf8 properly
+ Valgrind cleanup for some uninitialized references and minor memory leaks
+ All opcodes remapped for 5/11 patch
+ Structs updated for 5/11 patch
+ Added some new pseudo-classes to classes.h
+ Rehooked up stamina changes after removing stamina (only food/drink now)

KNOWN ISSUES

1) Right now there are problems decoding packets that have opcodes which end in 00. This is a net layer issue and I didn't notice it until last night. I didn't want to make a big net layer fix and still release this morning, so this isn't fixed. The only known opcodes that this effects are bazaar search and /deny. Neither of these are a big deal for seq, so I'm releasing anyways.

2) The spawn struct over the wire was completely redone. Not all fields that were previously mapped are known now. The missing fields weren't used in seq, so you should not see any loss of functionality.

3) All positioning packets have been redone with this patch. If you see any weirdness in positioning on your map, please please let me know. This is important and I did my best to make it correct.

Get the new release from the files section at sourceforge (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=10131&package_id=13256&release_id=327510). If you prefer, anoncvs should be updated later today depending on how fickle sourceforge is feeling.

To compile and install from the tarball:

$ tar xjvf showeq-5.0.0.21.tar.bz2
$ cd showeq-5.0.0.21
$ ./configure
$ make
$ make install

If you've been using packages from various asundry distrubtions, I'm sure you will be hooked up with your package soon. Please bring up any problems you find.

hug
05-15-2005, 10:58 AM
Wow, wasn't expecting to see this for at least a few more days. Thanks purple!!!! Now to figure out a way to get off work and give it a try :)

Halfoak
05-15-2005, 11:07 AM
Purple,

I wanted to say great job on getting this out as soon as you did..

Halfoak

QuakerInstant
05-15-2005, 11:18 AM
Wow.. that was fast. Thanks a ton Purple!

QInstant

BlueAdept
05-15-2005, 11:26 AM
Thanks purple! Great work! I was really missing it.

If you dont have one already, you should get a paypal account set up so we can offer you bribes...I mean donations.

Barshamm
05-15-2005, 11:52 AM
Thanks purple!! works great, even on test =)

BA I agree on purple getting a paypal account, I'd love to buy him at least a 6-pack!

mastrrob
05-15-2005, 12:18 PM
you rock!

Gnomish One
05-15-2005, 03:17 PM
I'm sure its something silly on my part, but I get

checking build system type... Invalid configuration 'i686-pc-linux-': machine 'i686-pc-linux' not recognized

when I do a ./configure

For grins, I tried a

make -f Makefile.dist all

but that didn't work either. (I removed the entire thing and re-untarred it for each attempt.

====================
update: I found it odd that it showed the trailing '-' so I looked at config.guess. If I ran is ./config.guess i686-pc-linux (with no trailing '-', it returned "i686-pc-linux-gnu".

Looking closer, it seemed it wanted to add a $LIBC to after the -, so I added:
EXPORT LIBC=gnu
to my showeq source profile and it all worked fine from there.

No idea why this worked fine with 5.0.0.20 and broke for me with 5.0.0.21

This worked for me though.

Leetlewon
05-15-2005, 03:42 PM
I got the same error, but "make -f Makefile.dist all" worked for me

[root@localhost showeq-5.0.0.21]# ./configure
checking build system type... Invalid configuration `i686-pc-linux-': machine `i686-pc-linux' not recognized
configure: error: /bin/sh ./config.sub i686-pc-linux- failed
[root@localhost showeq-5.0.0.21]# make -f Makefile.dist all
Removing old files.......................................... done!
Adding libtool support...................................... done!
Generating aclocal.m4 from configure.in..................... done!
Generating configure headers (config.h.in).................. done!
Generating Makefile.in from Makefile.am..................... done!
Generating configure from configure.in...................... done!

Success! Please type the following:

./configure && make && make install

This will configure, compile, and install
showeq

[root@localhost showeq-5.0.0.21]# ./configure
checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking target system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes

Frank25
05-15-2005, 03:46 PM
my new favorite color is now..purple

amazing job

purple
05-15-2005, 04:13 PM
The difference between 5.0.0.20 and 5.0.0.21 is that I made this one and I've never made a release before. I'll see what I can do to fix that for next time. autoconf is not something I have the slightest clue about *grin*

And I appreciate the donation offers, but I don't want money. I want seq to work!

DancingHitler
05-15-2005, 06:44 PM
Wow! Compiling it instead of using a premade compile runs a whole lot smoother. Impressive work. Thanks for a job well done.

blvan
05-15-2005, 08:07 PM
skittles.....check
mob names....check
mob locations + movement.....check
zone maps loading.......check
purple kicking ass......check

awesome job to all that helped, and continue to help. without you all the ShowEQ user community would be bored and lost.

tanner
05-15-2005, 09:32 PM
Format: 1.7
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 21:14:20 -0500
Source: showeq
Binary: showeq-dev showeq showeq-doc
Architecture: source i386 all
Version: 5.0.0.21-1
Distribution: unstable
Urgency: low
Maintainer: Bob Tanner <[email protected]>
Changed-By: Robert J. Tanner <[email protected]>
Description:
showeq - realtime packet analyzer for Everquest
showeq-dev - development tools for ShowEQ
showeq-doc - documentation for showeq
Changes:
showeq (5.0.0.21-1) unstable; urgency=low
* New upstream release
Files:
c3910d9f2cf4db848b5b5183f7b165d2 789 net optional showeq_5.0.0.21-1.dsc
7afb265db30bdc372d5fb7971334a4b8 967572 net optional showeq_5.0.0.21.orig.tar.gz
9283ddbd4da7838d28a547306776aa05 154338 net optional showeq_5.0.0.21-1.diff.gz
afd83f9a939eb43ee55fce88443df044 9211922 doc optional showeq-doc_5.0.0.21-1_all.deb
39f791187038dccca643b2fee9bfdc07 6657198 net optional showeq_5.0.0.21-1_i386.deb
412b440fba57cfe470660a53d774578c 82538 net optional showeq-dev_5.0.0.21-1_i386.deb

eqhunter
05-15-2005, 10:43 PM
Purple what news groups are you talking about?

Thanks for the fix.

purple
05-16-2005, 05:34 AM
Purple what news groups are you talking about?

Huh?

(this message artificially made longer so phpbb will take it)

Tor K'tal
05-16-2005, 06:15 AM
Huh?

I think he miss understood that you meant the announcement forum that addes to the front page.

~ TK

purple
05-16-2005, 07:38 AM
Oh, yeah. I can't post to the announcement forum that puts stuff on the front page, so posting to here or the help desk forum or the general forum is the best I can do. I just picked here.

BlueAdept
05-16-2005, 07:53 AM
Oh, yeah. I can't post to the announcement forum that puts stuff on the front page, so posting to here or the help desk forum or the general forum is the best I can do. I just picked here.

I almost forgot that Ratt gave me access to do that a while back. I put it on the announcement page for you.

Ill also pm him to see if he can give you access to that forum.

ralkrasta
05-16-2005, 11:33 AM
Okay I just cannot figure this out or get this to work.

I am by all means a Linux idiot. So expect that from my posts.

I have AutoConf 2.59
I have AutoMake 1.8.5
I have Libpcap 0.8.3
I have Libtool 1.4.3
I have QT 3.2
I am running Redhat 9

At first I was getting errors on the make -f Makefile.dist all command at the aclocal.m4 part. I reconfigured and redid make && make install on all of AutoConf, AutoMake, Libpcap, and Libtool and I got that working. Now when I run make -f Makefile.dist all command I am getting the following error, all the posts I read says I need to download automake 1.8.5 to get rid of the error. As far as I know that is done.

Generating Makefile.in from Makefile.am.......................make: *** [install-sh] Error 1

When I am installing the packages for AutoMake etc. I do the following.

tar zvxf automake-1.8.5
cd automake-1.8.5/
./configure --bindir=/usr/bin
make && make install

I get no errors. I do this to all 4 of the packages cept I change the directory each time. Do I need to reboot the Linux machine for some of these changes to take effect? I am just totally stumped, not understanding this. This has been happening ever since the 5.0.0.18 release of showeq for me. I somehow got it to work before, but for the life of me I cannot remember what I did to get it to work, and this is driving me insane.

tanner
05-16-2005, 11:54 AM
I have AutoMake 1.8.5

Debian version of Showeq has a specific requirement for automake-1.9, try installing that.

Then post here 'automake --version', since redhat use to do things like:

/usr/bin/automake1.8
/usr/bin/automake1.9

And then would symlink /usr/bin/automake to the 'proper' binary.

Also post the Makefile.dist.dbg so we can get more details.

Finally, think about moving to Debian :-), Gentoo, Suse, or Fedora Core, since they seem to be the support distros of the development team.

As a last resort, install alien on your redhat box, and convert the .dep to .rpm and install it. I just tested this hack and it seems to work.

CeleSEQ
05-16-2005, 12:05 PM
Fedora Core 3 and RHEL 4 rpms are up in my usual location:

http://gibbled.com/seq

To install these on Fedora Core 3 for the first time, download both the maps and the application package, then go to the directory you saved them in and type the command

rpm -ivh showeq-5.0.0.21-1.i386.rpm showeq-maps-1.0-4.noarch.rpm

and the packages will install. As always, you will need to be root to install the packages or run ShowEQ. (If you're downloading a future version, of course the version numbers won't be the same.)

When you need to update, you will usually only need to update the showeq package, the showeq-maps package will rarely change. If you had a previous RPM version installed, just update with

rpm -Fvh showeq-5.0.0.21-1.i386.rpm

If you aren't using Fedora Core 3, but your system does use RPMs, feel free to try and see if these work. Due to differences in the libpcap and qt versions, I also have an RHEL4 version posted since I had a few requests for those. The SRPM will build on RHEL3 and other white box rebuilds if you want to go that route.

Note that I've built it so that it places SEQ under /usr/bin, and the maps and other files in /usr/share/showeq, and documentation is in /usr/share/doc/showeq-<version> but if you're a keener on keeping it in /usr/local it is relocateable.</version>

purple
05-16-2005, 12:33 PM
You should NOT need to run make -f Makefile.dist all when using the tarball. That was the main impetus behind going to the tar releases. Messing with the gamut of autoconf/automake/libtool installs is so not worth it.

Also, you guys should take the problems/questions to the Help Desk forum, please.

monster69
05-16-2005, 01:22 PM
I got it out of CVS and just want to make sure of the version number (becuase its working fine):

ShowEQ 5.0.0.20, released under the GPL.
SINS 0.5, released under the GPL.
All ShowEQ source code is Copyright (C) 2000-2005 by the respective ShowEQ Developers
ShowEQ comes with NO WARRANTY.

You may redistribute copies of ShowEQ under the terms of
The GNU General Public License.
See: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html for more details...

For updates and information, please visit http://seq.sourceforge.net/
ShowEQ 5.0.0.20, Built from 'main.cpp' on May 16 2005 at 14:04:14
Is shown in the terminal screen and 5.0.0.20 is shown at the bottom left of my showeq screen.

So, I guess my question is, did the version numbers actually get overlooked or do I have some wierd alien hybrid that actually seems to run fine?

Monster

p.s. Great work purple, I really appreciate what you do.

purple
05-16-2005, 01:23 PM
The version number won't update until you rerun ./configure. You probably just updated from cvs over the top of your old and didn't ./configure, just make'd.

monster69
05-16-2005, 03:34 PM
I thought I had done that, but I did it again anyway.

It still says 5.0.0.20 in both places.

so I ran make -f Makefile.dist all

bingo, version is updated.

Gonna go finish my Mt. Dew now.

Monster

purple
05-16-2005, 04:53 PM
Oops, yeah. That makes sense. configure isn't checked into cvs. It's generated by make -f Makefile.dist all. So you had your old configure still there.

If you use cvs, you need to do make -f Makefile.dist all. If you use tarballs, you don't need to ever worry about Makefile.dist. If you don't know what you're doing, I'd recommend using tarballs or one of the packages for whatever distribution you use.

Devis
05-17-2005, 06:19 AM
Am I the only one crashing repeatedly with 5.0.0.21? It happened 5-6 times last night and I have not had any problems with this before the .21 version.

Spaz
05-17-2005, 07:42 AM
I was crashing a lot until I copied over new spell files. Haven't crashed since, but only was in game for a couple of hours. I'll see if I can grab logs.

purple
05-17-2005, 07:45 AM
I've run with both old and new spell files and have had no real problems.

If you actually want help, I'd recommend:
1) Using the help desk forum
2) Actually providing useful information instead of just saying you're crashing

Barshamm
05-17-2005, 01:46 PM
Old spell files did it for me, I only ran for about 30 minutes, cast a spell and ShowEQ crashed. Put the new spell files in and it ran like a dream.
lBTW, changes on test again. I guess I REALLY need to start learning how to identify opcodes =(