PDA

View Full Version : FC3 libcap issue

op911
06-13-2005, 08:54 PM
My Redhat Fedora Core 3 keeps wanting me to update to libcap 0.8.3-9.FC3. However when I try the update I get a dependency warning.

The warning states: Unresolved chain of dependencies: showeq-5.0.0.20-1fc requires llibcap >= 0.62.

Isn't 0.8.3-9.FC3 greater than 0.62 ?? Is anyone else getting this message. Is there a fix or should I just ignore the update messages for now.

Thanks in advance for any assistance provided.

CeleSEQ
06-15-2005, 04:26 PM
Hmm, I'll take a look at that. The 0.62 packaging dependency is what I set in that package. I'm just in the middle of selling my house and moving, but I'll try to look at it during the day tomorrow.

CeleSEQ
06-15-2005, 09:33 PM
Okay, I just finished taking a peek at this, and I'm not showing any issues with installing either my showeq-5.0.0.20-1 or showeq-5.0.0.22-1 releases against libpcap-0.8.3-9 (just released in the past week or so) or libpcap-0.8.3-8 (the previous version)

Could you tell me what tool you're using that's giving you that dependency error?

Since you need to upgrade to 5.0.0.22 anyway (grab the new version from http://gibbled.com/seq ), you could just

rpm -e showeq showeq-maps
Then do your upgrade to libpcap then just reinstall the packages:

rpm -ivh showeq-5.0.0.22-1.fc.i386.rpm showeq-maps-1.0-4.noarch.rpm
However, I would like to know how you're seeing an error with what appears to be exactly the same configuration I have on my build box... please let me know how you're updating your packages so I can test it.

~CeleSEQ

EDIT: Just noticed you said that the error reads "libcap", which is also a valid FC package, however... the 0.8.3 version number leads me to think you meant libpcap. If it really says "libcap", tell me for sure... that would be some real wierdness going on.

CeleSEQ
06-17-2005, 01:55 PM
I did some more testing today and was able to duplicate the error using up2date. Yum happily does the upgrade... investigating what the best way to repack will be to avoid the issue...

op911
06-18-2005, 12:33 PM
Sorry. That "libcap" was a typo. What is strange is that I already had version 22 installed but the error message said 20. I did as you suggested and deleted showeq did the update and then reinstalled showeq. It's working fine now. Thank you for your help.

CeleSEQ
06-18-2005, 11:04 PM
Good to hear. I'm going to update the RPM to correct the issue anyway. Also, after I'm moved, I'll see if I can get some Fedora Extras maintainers to sponsor me to put showeq in the FC Extras repository. We'll see how that goes...