PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Web Hosting

Dedpoet
06-30-2005, 08:37 AM
So, I'm in the market for a little web hosting for a small project I'm working on - nothing fancy, but I'd like a little bit more storage than my current host gives me and I know there are more aggresive price packages out there. I remember seeing the ad on this forum for a host, so I checked it out.

That Community Hosting place (linked up top) seems pretty scary. Is this site hosted there? There are only 3 members in their community forum with 3 total posts. One of the three is an administrator from another hosting company asking why the Community Hosting website is an exact rip-off of her site. I checked, and it sure as hell is. Exact graphics, layout, forums, host plans, prices, everything. Interesting business practices.

On a related note, does anyone have any host recommendations? I've been on dozens of sites, and they all claim the same thing. I'm looking for specific glowing recommendations. I just need the standard stuff - some MySQL databases, PHP, cgi-bin, etc. I don't need tons of transfer, but would like a good chunk of disk space - 1 gig-ish. My current host is fantastic - small family company, extremely reliable servers, great community, and all the features I need but they really pinch the storage space unless you go dedicated. I'm looking for cheap.

uRit1u2CBBA=
06-30-2005, 09:14 AM
I get hosted through powweb.com. They pretty much just have one package which would include a database (used to be an extra fee for setup, not I think it's waved), e-mail boxes with your domain, ftp access that you can configure the accounts on for sending files, most of the common "bin-tools", including php (I used to run a phpbb from the site back when I ran a guild.)

If you pre-pay a year, it's under $8 a month. I'm not sure what the prices are if you pay more frequently than that, but I don't think it's much more.

EDIT: I looked at the site again, and it looks like they've upped their storage limit from 1 gig to 5 gigs, so looks like you'd have plenty of space.

BlueAdept
06-30-2005, 11:02 AM
I use www.yrhost.com for my website. I haven't really had any problems with them.

Dedpoet
06-30-2005, 11:20 AM
Hehe, YRHost is the company that the Community Hosting place ripped off. I was actually looking at them from following the link that the angry admin left. Both of those suggestions look nice. I don't need the 5 gig/300 gig that Powweb offers, but overkill won't hurt, especially with the free domain registration. Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

uRit1u2CBBA=
06-30-2005, 01:01 PM
Let me know if you go with powweb, if you tell them that I suggested you, I'll get a small discount on my next purchase :) Any I have about 5 months left in my hosting schedule before I have to pay them more money :)