PDA

View Full Version : FC1 - ShowEQ 4.3.22 doesn't see packets

sakshale
07-14-2005, 10:03 PM
Hi all;

Fedora Core 1 - Built 4.3.22 from cvs source without any obvious problems.

When I run tcpdump I see the eq packets streaming past eth0.

However, View -> Network Diagnostics shows nothing. It It does state that it is using eth0, but all stats remain 0, even the mac address.

Spaz
07-14-2005, 10:09 PM
Is 4 supported/updated anymore?

sakshale
07-14-2005, 10:22 PM
Is 4 supported/updated anymore?
Hmm... looking back at the CHANGES file seems to imply that it is not supported.

All I did was a "cvs co showeq" ... following the FAQ instructions.

http://www.showeq.net/forums/faq.php?faq=seqfaq_tech#faq_seqfaq_tech_downloadse q

I guess CVS is no longer the distribution medium. I am downloading the bz2 file now. Looks like the FAQ needs updating.

Thanks for catching my stumble.

Sakshale

BlueAdept
07-15-2005, 12:01 AM
4 hasn't been updated in a long time.

I kept it up for a few versions afterwards, but it probably needs a bit of work to get it back into shape. You would need to fix the structs and opcodes.

use "cvs checkout -r pre_5_0_beta showeq" (no quotes) and that will get you the current 5.x release.

Cryonic
07-15-2005, 07:27 AM
Was 4.x modified for the new netcode that 5 had to go through a few months back? If not, then it needs more than just opcodes and structs to get the traffic.

purple
07-15-2005, 08:19 AM
No, BA was the only one keeping up the 4.x version on the trunk. It's been bitrotting since the net layer change. I have no intention of ever touching it and I'm the only one that has been active in cvs for the past couple months. That isn't to say that no one will ever fix 4.x to work against live. If anyone wants to do it, they are more than welcome to. But it won't be a trivial effort I'd imagine and as someone who cares about seq, I think if you want to put in that much effort, you'd be much better off working on the actual main codebase!

And I don't know of anyone who is active around here who has access to change the FAQ, either. Nowadays, you should use tarballs or custom packages for your distribution if available. They are usually out pretty quickly after stuff is checked in and before changes are available on anoncvs anyways. Building from anoncvs still works of course, since anoncvs is just a mirror of developer cvs, which is our codebase. But it takes more tools to do that (autoconf, automake, etc.) and a little more knowledge.

sakshale
07-16-2005, 01:58 PM
use "cvs checkout -r pre_5_0_beta showeq" (no quotes) and that will get you the current 5.x release.

LOL - I had that in my old checkout script and deleted the beta reference, assuming it was
way out of date.... I am in the process of building gcc3 on my FC4 x64 system, just to see what will happen. If I find out anything interesting, I'll post a followup.

Cryonic
07-17-2005, 03:24 AM
shows you what happens when you assume

BlueAdept
07-17-2005, 08:43 AM
Really we should get the old 4.xx out of the main cvs directory and move it off onto a sub and move the 5.xx into the main directory.

Dedpoet
07-18-2005, 09:03 AM
I used to maintain the FAQ back when it was just an html file that we ftp'd up to the macsrule site. I'm not sure if I was given access when it got integrated into the site or not. I'll have to poke around.

I don't see any reason that 5 should still be beta, being that it's what everyone uses and the only version that works. If someone is taking votes, mine is to move 5 to the main tree.