PDA

View Full Version : ...tried to add 550 - error

Tor K'tal
07-19-2005, 12:20 AM
lots of discussion about it in this thread, with some possable fixes

http://www.showeq.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5328

But I have a slightly different question to ask, so I figured I would start a new thread for it.

Would other programs that use libpcap (tcpdump type stuff) actually be a cause for this error to occure?

It wasn't until 5.0.0.22 that I ever saw these type of errors and they just sort of showed up one day. As far as I know my network infastructure hasn't changed or become broken in some way. My Linux box hasn't changed too much (Running Gentoo, emerge --sync, emerge --deep --upgrade world... type changes).

Basic specs of the machine are 512 MB RAM, Athlon XP 2600+, running KDE.

I do run mutliple sessions of SEQ on the machine, but like I said hadn't seen a problem till recently.

So now that I have given excessive amounts of background information. Would program like iftop running also, steal packets from SEQ which would result in this 505 business showing up? I highly doubt it, but I figured I would ask rather than assume.

~ TK

:edit: corrected version I believe I saw the errors appear

Cryonic
07-19-2005, 12:29 AM
If I understand correctly how the network stack works for sniffing...

It just starts filling up a buffer of a set size (set by parameters of the OS). Sniffing apps that use libpcap just grab from the buffer, but don't actually remove anything from the stack. Instead the stack just gets populated by the kernel and older stuff is popped off the top to keep the buffer from getting over the set size. This means that multiple applications can't keep data from other apps looking in that stack, but delays could cause one or more apps to miss something before it rolls off the stack.

purple
07-19-2005, 06:08 AM
Look at the FAQ in your tarball or check out http://www.showeq.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5333 which is just a cut and paste of it so that people find it when they search here. It will help you set your kernel parameters to help with packetloss problems.

This has nothing to do with a specific version of seq and everything to do with how promiscious sniffing works on Linux and what you are using your Linux machine for. You should be able to adjust kernel parameters to get everything working fine, though probably at the cost of more memory used to support your network stack.