PDA

View Full Version : Work with Linksys?

Grandizer
07-21-2005, 10:35 PM
I bought a Linksys hub to start using SEQ again, but so far, no life. View/Network Diagnostics shows no incoming traffic at all. Does the Linksys to something funky to stop SEQ from working? I know 3Com hubs work with it.

uRit1u2CBBA=
07-22-2005, 12:29 AM
Is there a model number visible you can share? With that, we can tell you if it really is a hub, or if it is a switch.

If it is a switch, it's not going to work.

Just about everything store-bought now is a switch, even if it says hub. To get a true hub now a days, you're best bet is e-bay, and even then you have to be carefull of how things are worded.

BlueAdept
07-22-2005, 11:51 AM
if the box says 10/100 it is most likely a switch. If it is a switch, it might be a switching hub (if your lucky). That means as long as all the connections pugged into it are the same speed (ie all 10m/b or all 100m/b) it will act as a hub.

I have a Linksys switching hub myself. It is fairly old (about 6 years old).

Grandizer
07-22-2005, 04:33 PM
I did some digging around here and someone had the same "hub" as me. It wasn't a true hub. But I bought a Network Everywhere hub and no luck. Nothing on tcpdump, nothing on the network diagnostics in the program. SEQ isn't seeing didley.

The only hubs that seem to work with SEQ are from 3COM, and you can't get them in stores around here, which sucks.

purple
07-22-2005, 05:13 PM
I'm sure you can buy a netgear ds104 from somewhere with no problem. There's nothing special about 3com. Anything that actually is a simple dumb hub will work.

gruntsters
07-25-2005, 09:51 AM
Grandizer... Buy a clue !!

Look and read uRit1u2CBBA='s reply to your post.

Post the make and THE MODEL of the hardware you have listed in your posts. We can't tell you if its a true hub or not without that info.

Every manufacturer that you have listed makes or has made true/real hubs in the past. Good god man, every manufacturer you've listed thus far has made dozens of models of hubs and switches.

I just bought a netgear ds104 from Ebay recently, my old Linksys hub died (model EW5HUB). Cost me $15 and like $5 or so for shipping.

fryfrog
08-09-2005, 09:42 AM
if the box says 10/100 it is most likely a switch. If it is a switch, it might be a switching hub (if your lucky). That means as long as all the connections pugged into it are the same speed (ie all 10m/b or all 100m/b) it will act as a hub.

I have a Linksys switching hub myself. It is fairly old (about 6 years old).

In my experience, they work a LITTLE different than that. If all devices are the same speed (100mbit OR 10mbit), it is a pure switch. It only kicks into "hub" mode when you have an unrelated, different speed device hooked to it. This is because 10 and 100 can't directly communicate, it just don't work. So at this point, the 10mbit and 100mbit planes become hubs with a switch between them. So if your EQ and SEQ are 100mbit and your router is 10mbit, you are set. You would also be set if your SEQ was 10mbit and your router was 10mbit and your EQ was 100mbit, because the EQ->ROUTER traffic has to pass onto the 10mbit hub to get out. If your EQ was 10mbit, router 10mbit and SEQ 100mbit... it wouldn't work, cause the EQ->ROUTER traffic stays on the 10mbit hub and never crosses to the 100mbit hub. Once you understand why the "hub" switches between the planes, it becomes fairly easy to predict what will and won't work.

BlueAdept
08-09-2005, 11:09 AM
At least with my linksys, that is incorrect. I have all my connections at 100mb in order to get it to function as a hub. If I have mixed (originally my linux box was a 10mb) and it didn't function. I flipped for the extra cash (yes they 100mbs were more money back then), kept my fingers crossed and it worked.

I suspect if I had gone the other way (all 10mb) it would have worked also.