PDA

View Full Version : Compile Error in 5.0.0.25

Dedpoet
07-31-2005, 03:09 PM
Is anyone else getting this compile error in 5.0.0.25?

packetcapture.cpp: In member function `void PacketCaptureThread::start(const
char*, const char*, bool, unsigned char)':
packetcapture.cpp:98: invalid conversion from `const char*' to `char*'
packetcapture.cpp: In member function `void
PacketCaptureThread::setFilter(const char*, const char*, bool, unsigned
char, short unsigned int, short unsigned int)':
packetcapture.cpp:431: invalid conversion from `const char*' to `char*'

Redhat 9 (I know, I know!) and QT 3.3.4. Worked fine with 5.0.0.23. Any ideas on that one? I know purple did some net code changes for .25, and that's write where that stuff would be, but others seem to have this version working just fine.

purple
07-31-2005, 03:26 PM
That's new code from when I cleaned up pcap usage a bit. What's the signature for pcap_lookupnet in your pcap.h?

int pcap_lookupnet(const char *, bpf_u_int32 *, bpf_u_int32 *, char *);

is what I have with pcap 0.8.3 it looks like.

Dedpoet
08-01-2005, 05:52 PM
My pcap.h lacked the "const" that yours has. I just added it and seq is building. Looks like the fix. Thanks, purple!

purple
08-01-2005, 05:56 PM
Probably just an older version of pcap. If you're comfortable hacking that include file, I wouldn't give it a second thought if I were you!

Cryonic
08-01-2005, 07:12 PM
but all the .h holds is the template that was used. The actual lib wasn't built with that in the .h, so it may not work once SEQ is built.

Dedpoet
08-11-2005, 09:28 AM
Sorry I haven't been here in a while. The hack of the .h file worked just fine. I'll probably update libpcap someday, but I've been playing so little EQ lately that if it works, I'm happy. :)

sea4th
09-08-2005, 01:04 AM
I have the same compile error and I did update pcap for RH 7.2

When I search for pcap.h I find the following
one in the downloaded update
/seqfixup/libpcap-0.8.3

one in /usr/include/pcap

and one in /usr/local/include that matches with 0.8.3

I am curious about how that happened - maybe I did something out of sequence when I installed autoconf, automake, libpcap and libtool?

Examination of makefile.in shows prefix = @prefix@ and the makefile has
prefix as /usr/local. So looks like the system level prefix went with /usr/local instead of /usr .

Going to search some more on how this @prefix@ gets established - linux seems like magic until the layers get peeled back. Any suggestions on where to start? Google on linux $prefix @prefix@ haven't provided an ahah yet and I want to be able to compile the new version which is likely in the next few days.

My current plan is to move the 4 files from /usr/local/include to the proper places in /usr/include/pcap but that makes me worry that this box is not configured correctly....

purple
09-08-2005, 06:41 AM
Did you install using rpms or manually install the tarball? A lot of packages put things into /usr, but most tarballs default to /usr/local. You do ./configure --prefix=/usr to change it.

DiAvOlO
09-10-2005, 10:17 PM
Hello everyone,

I use to run showeq along time ago, and I see a few things have changed.

Thus far I have compiled QT-3.3.4 on Red hat 7.2 Installed Showeq-5.0.0.25

But when I goto excute the make command I get the same error, I also updated

libpcap. Reading through this part of the fourm I guse there are some other

things I need to do. Can you please explain to me the proper way to update

libpcap and make the correct changes.

I<3EQ
09-11-2005, 12:19 AM
RedHat 7.2 is ancient. I strongly recommend getting a newer distro.

BlueAdept
09-11-2005, 06:36 AM
I suggest either upgrading to FC3 or FC4. They both compile right out of the box.

DiAvOlO
09-11-2005, 10:58 AM
Im not worried about updating Redhat 7.2 Because it will still work.

What Dedpoet was describing is the problem I am having.

So I would asume by reading this fourm there is a simple fix for this but Im not up to speed because it has been awhile.

I can't find anything on how to edit or change pcap.h, But I know once I have that information it will compile fine.

So if someone would tell me how to edit libpcap, or pcap.h I would greatly appreciate it.

DiAvOlO
09-11-2005, 12:52 PM
Well after reading through this fourm a bit and looking over dedpoet and purple's conversation I come to realize my question I asked was all ready answered, I just went to /usr/include did a pico -w and looked at pcap.h and found I was lacking the (const) as well being that I like to run redhat 7.2 ...

But showeq is compiling now.... :)

Thanks,

DiAvOlO

BlueAdept
09-11-2005, 05:58 PM
Grats on getting it running.

My favorite distribution was RH 7.3. FC is a hog.

Cryonic
09-11-2005, 11:42 PM
FC is no more of a hog than any of the other desktop oriented distros, like Ubuntu, Knoppix, Suse, etc...

DiAvOlO
09-13-2005, 07:07 PM
Well BlueAdept, I did upgrade to redhat 9, But after looking through the file list I was lacking a ton of stuff to get showeq up and running...

You know I thought well lets upgrade, Just to take a look at something new, and in some cases the upgrades cause more problems then they are worth.

CeleSEQ
09-14-2005, 12:04 PM
Anyone running a RH7.x box in 2005 has a fool for a system administrator.

If you don't like upgrades, get yourself set up with CentOS, or another whitebox RHEL rebuild, then you're guaranteed full updates for 5 years and security updates for 7 years from release. Running 7.x is really just endangering your network and others.

(exceptions of course for those who need it because of legacy embedded crap etc, but those people will be cognizant of the risk they take if the system becomes exposed to the net.)

BlueAdept
09-14-2005, 12:19 PM
Well BlueAdept, I did upgrade to redhat 9, But after looking through the file list I was lacking a ton of stuff to get showeq up and running...

I said to upgrade to FC3 or FC4, not RH9.

If you do a full install of FC3 or FC4, you wont have to upgrade any packages to get SEQ to run.

gruntsters
09-14-2005, 06:33 PM
CeleSEQ is still alive ! yay ! haha

CeleSEQ
09-15-2005, 11:04 AM
Heh, yeah, I'm still here... still homeless for another month til the new house is built, but alive :)

I don't have all my test systems (they're in storage), but I will post what I can build tonight. I should be able to do FC3 for sure.

DiAvOlO
09-18-2005, 10:52 PM
CeleSEQ,
"Anyone running a RH7.x box in 2005 has a fool for a system administrator"

First off CeleSEQ, Who said I was system administrator running Red Hat 7.2

Second, BlueAdept I was telling you I updated to Red Hat 9 just for the hell of it and found I was lacking alot of shit.

I was really just tring to make polite conversation.

And CeleSEQ, I am aware of Security issues with Red Hat 7.2 But you learn to work with what you have and adapt it to suite your needs!!!!
You are so quick to jump people's shit when you get the chance to, but in the same token I would be willing to bet as of right now you could not get Red hat 7.2 and Showeq to work correcltly. So hell I would not blame you one bit if you downloaded something that would work well right out of the box,.... Most people do,...!

But that also makes me wonder if you are a script kiddie as well.

So next time when im tring to make polite conversation with someone do not slam me because I like to maintain and update one operating system that currently I would asume you are not running.

So CeleSEQ, Shut the hell up and take a dam valium!!!!

Dont get me wrong it's good to maintain and update your system, but remember what version did we start out with, how did we get the new updated operating system and so forth.... We build on what we KNOW! and LEARN!

purple
09-19-2005, 06:27 AM
"Anyone running a RH7.x box in 2005 has a fool for a system administrator"

Hate to break it to you, but if you have a computer that you're responsible for keeping up, either be it spyware and virus checking for Windows or a Linux box, you're a System Administrator. Maybe you're the only one who depends on it, but you're still a System Administrator. And if your linux box gets r00ted and you end up a spam gateway and DoS node, that sucks for everyone.

If your Red Hat 7.2 box has no outside net interface, maybe you'll be fine, but as time goes on it will be an utter pain to get packages and there's no way in hell people developing software care a lick about Red Hat 7.2. If your Red Hat 7.2 box has an external net interface, then CeleSEQ is right and you're a fool. Unless you really know what you're doing and have been hand maintaining that system, I wouldn't trust it at all personally, and neither would anyone who knows anything at all about maintaining a system.

And CeleSEQ, I am aware of Security issues with Red Hat 7.2 But you learn to work with what you have and adapt it to suite your needs!!!!
You are so quick to jump people's shit when you get the chance to, but in the same token I would be willing to bet as of right now you could not get Red hat 7.2 and Showeq to work correcltly. So hell I would not blame you one bit if you downloaded something that would work well right out of the box,.... Most people do,...!

But that also makes me wonder if you are a script kiddie as well.

Dude, there are all of 3 active people right now who directly provide actual tangible things for each release of seq, outside of just answering questions on this forum. CeleSEQ is one of them. If you haven't noticed, CeleSEQ provides the packages for RHEL and Fedora Core. I'd imagine CeleSEQ knows about 10 billion times more about general system administration and whatever crap of the month Red Hat wants to call a distribution than you will ever hope to learn.

Half-assedly flaming CeleSEQ isn't very smart. The above concerns about running old distributions are totally valid. You're just making it hard on yourself staying on an ancient distribution. If you were on a modern distribution, apart from having seq working out of the box because seq uses modern package dependencies instead of packages from 5 years ago, you'd be able to use yum or apt or emerge to do your package management for you. As it stands, instead you have to come here and ask questions about something that will get you laughed at.

If you know what you're doing, you can get by with Red Hat 7.2 probably. You can hand install packages and deal with dependencies yourself. But dude, you didn't know how to edit a header file earlier in this thread. When seq goes to qt4, you're gonna be so boned, and no amount of flaming CeleSEQ will help that.

CeleSEQ
09-19-2005, 12:29 PM
Hehe, good stuff :)

DiAvOlO, if you want to take my comment personally, that's your choice. I didn't call anyone names. RH7.2 is eight (or maybe nine depending on which you count) releases old in the RHL/Fedora lineage. For an entertaining comparison, eight releases back of MS Windows consumer versions would be Windows 3.0. SEQ can be made to run on 7.2 with the appropriate work, but I really don't recommend it, and for anyone who has to ask questions about how to do it, the kindest answer is to say "don't", and encourage them to choose a more modern distribution.

Some of the choices RedHat has made have unfortunately made this situation worse... we don't see questions from people running Slackware 3.2 or Debian 2.0. RH's aggressive release schedule and upgrade problems in the 7.x -> 8 series, plus the jump from 9 to the Fedora project have isolated a segment of their userbase. I think that has actually been bad for RH, but it's their choice. Your choice is whether to stay with their old versions and fight with dependencies, make the jump to new versions which I intend to continue packaging, or jump to another distribution and deal with the minor learning curve to adapt to that new distro's package management tools and build environment.

HTH, HAND.
~CeleSEQ

DiAvOlO
09-19-2005, 02:56 PM
First CeleSEQ, Me personally I would asume you know what you are talking about way before your last posted to me, Because I do read this fourm alot and I use to have an old user name but forgot the password, So I just decided to make a new one to post a few things...

And my last post to you I was just being a smart ass.

Second, No one told me how to edit the const, and yes it took me a few to figure it out, and yes I had to stop and think. But its done and it worked fine. And why didnt you flame the person who started the topic? I know I didnt start the topic but yes I had the same problem. Purple you didnt say crap about what operating system he was running you just helped him out.

Most of the time I just read this fourm, Because no matter the question you ask you tend to get smart ass answer.

And most of the time Im very polite towards others...

And just because you see a guy with 8 post under his name dont asume he is another dumbass to flame, Because One I did use the search button. I did post in the proper place. And what really makes me laugh it all started over just tring to make conversation with BlueAdept.

So now I know who is aloud to ask questions.....! The other thing I find funny is this one topic has like 839 Views or some crazy shit like that but only five or Seven people shared thier thoughts,.... Now tell me why that is??? Maybe it is because people dont enjoy being flamed over something dumb. Or they just wait for the question to be answered.

Purple,
"there are all of 3 active people right now who directly provide actual tangible things for each release of seq, outside of just answering questions on this forum."

Let me ask you this question Purple, Why is that.... Do you really think it's because there is a lack of knowledge going around, and not enough smart people to help out???? Or the fact that people just dont read this fourm,...

You know what I dont think thats the case at all... and I will leave it at that.

gruntsters
09-20-2005, 01:41 PM
Ok, I got my popcorn out and am all ready to watch the next issue of flame wars, but alas, its been 24hrs since anyone posted any derogatory remarks.

Crap, guess I'll have to go watch the grass grow, paint peel, or something, hehe.

CeleSEQ
09-20-2005, 05:52 PM
ENTERTAIN ME BITCHES! Sorry, I have an underdeveloped ability to give a crap if people want to argue online without reading what I'm saying in response. *grin*

DiAvOlO
09-20-2005, 05:54 PM
Made My Point *Grin*!

uRit1u2CBBA=
09-21-2005, 08:35 AM
Damn - out of popcorn .. need to get some more.

Enjoying the show :)

trustno1
09-22-2005, 08:04 AM
Here is my experience so far and what I've done so far. I just wanted to share this with any others out there that might be needing help, or just want an entertaining read. If anybody has any suggestions or tips, that's fine. If not, that's fine too. I understand I am a VERY basic Linux installer/user. The help that I've read from these boards has been immense in the past. If you want to flame me for being not knowing a lot or whatever, I'll not respond to you, so save your breath :)

I have been away for a while from ShowEQ and EQ. I was running Redhat 7.2 and the last working version of SEQ I had was 5.0.0.18 I 'found' SEQ way back when it was on the hackerquest boards, and it was version 2.something. It required the libEQ.a. That was a pain.

When I tried to install SEQ 5.0.0.1, I immediately was stopped by my older QT version. I think it was 3.0.5. I looked up some of my old notes, and downloaded and installed successfully QT 3.3.5. The machine that my linux was running on was a pentium 200 **OUCH** It was slow, and compiling took FOREVER hehe, but it worked for me for years.

The next problem I had was an error that was very similar to the one that started this thread. I was going to update my pcap stuff when my wife suggested that I just make a new box. I thought about it for a minute, and agreed with her that yeah, it was time to retire that old dinosaur.

I had an unused AMD 1.2Gb with an 8GB hard drive and 512 MB ram. I downloaded the Fedora Core 4 installation disks, and installed it. I really like the new speed, and the ease at with Redhat FC4 installed. It was really pretty simple and painless. The only problem that I had was picking installation options. I wanted to make sure that I could compile SEQ easily after linux was done installing. I decided to install and check the 'everything' button, but was told I didn't have enough space...ouch. Ok, I then decided to install workstation, and I picked some options that looked like I would need.

When I tried to configure SEQ, I was told that I didn't have QT installed. No problem, I had just installed QT the day before, so I downloaded and tried to install QT using the same notes that worked with my old system. I'm not exactly sure what happened, but I did something wrong, and it bombed out on me pretty early. I couldn't get it to go any farther, so I thought what the heck, it's such a new install, I'll just do it all over again.

I reinstalled FC4 and this time I choose 'custom' and picked all the options that I was given. I was really hoping that SEQ would compile without me having to fool around with any 3rd party libraries.

Well, again, SEQ told me I didn't have QT installed. Soooo, either it was installed and I just didn't point it in the right direction, or it wasn't picked during installation or something. Ok, so I thought I'd again try to install QT 3.3.5. During the configure it gave me some warning but finished. During make it gave me a whole bunch of warnings and then errored out. The error had something to do with g++3. My original notes had me changing gcc and g++ to gcc3 and g++3. My next step was to try to install the latest version of gcc and that didn't work out for me either. For me, unless I can get specific directions on installation, I have troubles and the install notes for gcc was a bit too advanced for me.

Right now, I'm about to reinstall FC4, and pay closer attention to the packages/options that are installed. I have the list that refers to FC2 from the newbie notes that SEQ provides, so maybe that will help.

I've heard a few times that SEQ should compile without any problems from a fresh install of FC3 or FC4. If this last time doesn't work, I'm thinking about installing FC3 and trying that. I am partial to Redhat only because that is what I've learned linux on, and a different flavor would have me learning the operations system all over again, and trying to install SEQ.

I hope this was entertaining to you, at the very least listening to the thoughts of a long time SEQ user, but not very linux savvy hehe.

*munches popcorn while waiting for the FC4 to install once again* ;)

EDIT: Thanks So much Cryonic, I am back up and running!! WOOT! *HUG*

Cryonic
09-22-2005, 08:23 AM
yum install qt-devel

DiAvOlO
09-22-2005, 04:28 PM
congrats, trustno1