PDA

View Full Version : showeq maps

doox00
08-02-2005, 07:54 AM
Hey there,

I have been using showeq on and off for a couple years. There used to be maps when I used it in the past. I just started playing eq again this past weekend, so last night I got showeq up and going, and again there are no maps showing. How do I go about getting maps to work with showeq? I am not super linux savvy, know enough to get in trouble is about all, plus I do not know all the ins and outs of showeq, just used it for basic functionality, outta the box really to see if spawns were up etc.

Thanks for any input you could give me on how/where to import maps for the different zones.

purple
08-02-2005, 08:25 AM
You could install the showeq-maps package or tarball to get the maps showeq distributes, but this is pretty imcomplete at this point and I'm not aware of any plans to bring it more up to date, as it would be a pain to deal with. You could get maps off mapfiend and put them in your ~/.showeq/maps directory though. Be sure to get seq formatted maps when you do.

Alternately, what I do is use samba to access my eq client files from my linux machine. If I zone into a place that I have an in-game map but no seq map, I open the sony map in seq then save it under seq and rename the file so it's correct. If I zone into a place that I have a seq map and no in-game map, I save a sony-format map from seq, zone out, and copy the map seq saved over to my eq client's map folder. If I have neither, I either make my own map or go get a map off mapfiend.

BlueAdept
08-02-2005, 08:37 AM
http://eq.mapfiend.net/

It is a pretty good source for maps for both sony and SEQ

doox00
08-02-2005, 08:40 AM
Al I need to do is get the mapfiend allmaps seq format maps, extract them and put it in ~/.showeq/maps directory? Nothing else is required?

gruntsters
08-02-2005, 11:40 AM
After you get the maps into the correct folder, sometimes if you zone into a zone that was missing a map it still shows up blank. You may have to use the "open map" function and select the correct folder path and map. I've found this problem in instanced zones like mpg group and raid trials. All the maps are named something like muramitea, muramiteb, etc.. and you have to select the correct one (although I think in mpg trials, its actually the exact same map except for some labeling of mob spawn locations). Same goes for the LDoN trials too (definitely different maps/dungeon layouts for them).

Usually just have to do this once and SEQ remembers it.

BlueAdept
08-02-2005, 02:01 PM
SEQ is case dependant. If the map names dont match what is in the zones.h file, it won't load. Same with the filters.

Fatal
08-02-2005, 06:32 PM
I thought it was fixed to look for maps in upper or lower case.. ?

BlueAdept
08-02-2005, 06:37 PM
You could be right. Been a while since I added maps.

purple
08-02-2005, 06:41 PM
Yeah, the file locator is case insensitive.

doox00
08-03-2005, 09:51 AM
yep, worked good.. just put them in the maps folder and good to go, well was only in fire last night.. but that worked!

thanks alot all

yodaman
03-04-2006, 07:29 PM
Maybe I am a complete newb but I can only find SOE maps on Mapfiend. Am I looking in the wrong place or am I doing something wrong? They work fine but I miss some of the labels I used to have back in the day.

is there a map pack that has the zone specific labels like each zone out location and such?

BlueAdept
03-05-2006, 12:01 AM
Fatal removed them. They are history. He posted and said to now use the soe maps.

Anyone have a copy of the last set of seq maps from mapfiend? If possible are you able to put them up on rapidshare for me?

The white background and black lines are killing me on the new ones.

Edit: Going to try to download them again and see if maybe he changed it since I got the maps.

yodaman
03-05-2006, 06:55 AM
I don't seem to have the white background problem everybody else has but I don't have any labels for anything. For instance, in POT it used to have where all the stones led you and such.I guess if somebody can share theirs we would be set.

I<3EQ
03-05-2006, 12:32 PM
A bunch of people posted scripts to change the black lines to white or gray here:

http://www.showeq.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5543

Mine definitely doesn't solve the label problem (I feel that they clutter the map anyway so I didn't attempt to fix those) but maybe ksmith's will handle that as well. I'm not sure how labels are set up in the map files so I don't know if his regexp will match them.

Cryonic
03-05-2006, 10:35 PM
and other scripts have been posted to that forum including a php script to convert back and forth...

three-p-o
03-06-2006, 07:19 AM
The issue with the missing labels is that the labels were in a different layer than the rest of the map.
Unless you merged all the files shortname_1+shortname_2+shortname_3 into a single files none of the PoR maps from mapfiend will have labels in ShowEQ

Fatal
03-10-2006, 01:01 AM
The seq maps were just the soe maps converted. They weren't a special map or anything. They were converted with ksmith's scripts.

Blue, I'll run a seq script and generate a new batch.. with the labels on layer 1. Should I send them to you?

The reason labels were moved to layer 2 was part of the new POI system that isn't done yet. The amount of labels to choose from for each map will be insane and letting peiople edit them in their own layer made the most sense. Which reminds me.. i'm still accepting spawn logs if anyone has them.

purple
03-10-2006, 05:09 AM
Yeah, I like how you split up the stuff on mapfiend now. It's cool. Personally I don't like any labels and now I don't have to get them!

mrjackyll
04-27-2006, 10:06 PM
Fatal - Could you post the script you used to combine the .txt map files please?

purple
04-28-2006, 07:51 AM
cat map_1.txt map_2.txt map_3.txt > combinedmap_1.txt?

tanner
05-08-2006, 02:08 AM
Then what?

Working on getting soltemple updated. I got the solrotower_1.txt, solrotower_2.txt, and solrotower_3.txt from mapfiend.

% cat solrotower_1.txt solrotower_2.txt solrotower_3.txt > solrotower.txt
% awk -f eqtomap.awk < solrotower.txt > solrotower.map
**unknown color: 160 0 0
<snip>
% less solrotower.map
Converted map,converted,0,0
M,line,unknown,2,569,1602,
M,line,unknown,2,773,1440,
M,line,unknown,2,773,1685,
M,line,unknown,2,714,1685,
M,line,unknown,2,714,1598,

Tried looking for MapFiend(?), Fatal(?) convert.php, but all the links in the forums are dead:

http://mapfiend.eq-toolbox.com/convert.php dead
http://www.k-r-g.com/convert.php dead

Did not try the Java converter.

Mapfiend forums search says there are tools are there to convert if you know where to look. I guess I don't know where to look.

I believe showeq supports the soe format, but I'd like to keep the showmap debian package consistent, thus would prefer to convert the mapfiend solrotower map into seq format.

Thanks.

purple
05-08-2006, 05:30 AM
Then what?

And then File->Open Map in seq to open your .txt map and then Save Map it, which will save it as a seq formatted map.

No external tools needed at all, except of course for cat, which I'd imagine you could apt-install. And for Debian stable users, cat hasn't changed in years, so your 2002 version is probably up to date!

I'm hi-larious!

nicknaks
05-21-2006, 04:56 AM
To merge all 4 possible map layers (map.txt and map_x.txt) to a single map.txt file assuming you've downloaded the allmaps_soe.zip from mapfiend:

put allmaps_soe.zip into a suitable directory then change to that directory and execute:

unzip allmaps_soe.zip

then type in as per below:

for file in `ls | awk -F_ ' { print $1 } ' | uniq`
do
cat ${file}_1.txt cat ${file}_2.txt cat ${file}_3.txt >> ${file}.txt
done

then load SEQ, hit F1 to open a map and pick the {map name}.txt file for where you're at then hit F2 to save automatically into SEQ format :)

I'm assuming your distro has awk but I've yet to see a standard install which doesn't include it .. then again being more of a corporate user maybe I'm blinkered on that.

will
06-20-2006, 12:50 AM
I've gotten everything running in gentoo, aside from the maps.

I'm not sure that there is a way to make Tanner's map pack work with gentoo, and the above solution doesn't seem to work: ${file}.txt: ambigous redirect

maps arnt's a major issue obviously - and i'm really only setting this up for the combine server (which doesn't actually work atm) but i'm wondering if there is something i'm missing in terms of an solution.

the only thing i can think of, but haven't yet tried, for fear of it being true, is that i need to make a .txt file for each zone.

thanks for all the help in the seq project. you guys are veritable saints.

purple
06-20-2006, 06:32 AM
Probably the easiest would be to get Tanner's maps, convert to a tarball, crack it open, get all the maps, and put them into ~/.showeq/maps.

will
06-20-2006, 02:15 PM
ok, i got an rpm mappack from fedora.showeq.org (because I was having issues getting tanner's using bzr, more on that in a bit). these maps aren't very up to date though, so I was wondering if tanner's set is any better (new freeport, ro, etc).

if it is, I guess I need to get bzr working, so I have a question for you, purple, since you're surely much more familiar with gentoo than i am. bzr is masked when i try to emerge it, so i was just wondering if unmasking it and emergeing it will screw up my system or not work, or what.

thanks

purple
06-20-2006, 05:39 PM
Naw, it should be ok. It's not hard masked. It should work fine. You also have to keyword unmask paramiko too. Alternaltely, use alien to just convert the deb.

Tanner keeps his maps up to date. CeleSEQ's RPM is just showeq-maps, which is way out of date because I'm not willing to maintain the maps since they have questionable licensing.

CeleSEQ
06-20-2006, 07:13 PM
I'll talk to tanner and update my package to match his I guess. I don't have any real huge issue with the map licensing, it just is a fairly unclear situation so I've been avoiding updating so I don't have to think about it too much.

In case anyone is not aware, the issue with maintaining maps is that for the majority of them, we just don't know who made them, and we would prefer to know that we have permission to distribute anything we package. At the moment though, it's impossible to guess. Many of them came from Mapfiend, but even those could be copyright to someone who wouldn't feel good about having them included with showeq, and we don't want to step on toes.

The real answer is for someone to get a map licensing project going and get maps we 100% know where they came from, but it's a huge project.

will
06-20-2006, 07:52 PM
I got another pack from tanner's first link on this thread:
http://www.showeq.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5585

It's not a full set of maps, but It seemed to have a lot of the revamped zones, like freeport, ro, etc. So for now, I think that's pretty good.

You were saying, purple, to use tanner's deb packages. Can I emerge "apt-get"? Or am I missing something, because I haven't seen any direct links to DL those packs from. Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse but I'm not too familiar with linux and all the different distros - just got gentoo running a few days ago, but I'm pretty happy with the setup. I was able to get vnc running pretty nice, so me and my two other roomates can all run showeq for our own instances of eq from just one linux box.

purple
06-20-2006, 08:43 PM
I thought Tanner put the .debs up on sourceforge, but I guess he stopped doing that. Sorry!

will
06-20-2006, 09:14 PM
np at all, thanks for all the help!

tanner
06-20-2006, 11:18 PM
ftp://ftp.real-time.com/linux/real-time/pool/non-free/s/showeq-maps

bzr is so you can alter, patch, fix maps and give them back to me (hint!), if you just want the tarball, see above.

Fatal
07-02-2006, 02:55 AM
By popular demand I have created a map pack for seq. It contains all of the latest and greatest maps condensed to the base (*.txt) layer. The grids (layer 3) are not included.

These maps, as zipped, are not suitable for using in game as they will be overwritten everytime you patch.

These are based off of tonites mapfiend zipfile and as such they SHOULD be the best version of each map available. Of course, I'm sure that is not the case for some maps as I am still cleaning up all of the different copies. If you notice a map that is bad (ie, there is a better one on my site) let me know and I will get it cleaned up.

http://www.mapfiend.net/~fatal/showeqmaps.zip