PDA

View Full Version : Hardware alternativ to a hub

Tarkin
08-04-2005, 08:12 AM
first off: hello everyone (been reading here since several months already)

as hubs are increasingly difficult to get hold off (see the linksys thread) I was wondering if one could simply build a "Y" splitter network cable (yes I know sounds dangerous but read on)
not to mess up the traffic, the showeq box would only be connected to the both TX (transmitting) lines of the EQ Box
In a "normal" non crossover cabel the pinout is usually:

EQ PC - Switch/Router/whatever
1(TX+) - 1(RC+)
2(TX-) - 2(RC-)
3(RC+) - 3(TX+)
4(RC-) - 4(TX-)

My Idea would be:

EQ PC - Switch - SEQ Box
1(TX+) - 1(RC+) - 1(RC+)
2(TX-) - 2(RC-) - 2(RC-)
3(RC+) - 3(TX+) - not connected
4(RC-) - 4(TX-) - not connected

with this kind of cabling it might not be a good idea to run both machines at 100mbit but I would guess 10mbit could work.

I still have a nice hub here - so I am not going to try it. but might be something for the hub-less. any ideas on that ?

(btw: word of caution - try at your own risk - not responsible for bustes nic's)

Tarkin

elf
08-04-2005, 02:49 PM
Why did the old forums have to go away!

Admittedly, this idea hasn't been brought up much since, I don't remember when. Back when everyone was paranoid that Sony might find a way to see ShowEQ on the second computer maybe.

Can it be done, yes. Unpowered hubs are effectivly the same thing, only they allow both computers to transmit. They do tend to cause collisions though, slowing both computers throughput. Your idea should work, but it will depend on your NICs behaving and your ability to solder the connections to avoid too much extra resistance.

Is it really that hard to find hubs? I have found 3 EN-104s in various tag sales, fleamarkets, and dumpsters. If they weren't promised to other people already, I'd start offering them here.

2XS
08-04-2005, 03:01 PM
You can still get old fashion Hubs from newegg for around $23 to $53ish depending on the number of ports you want. I have a backup hub waiting and another in a box just in case cuz I can't live without my Show.

BlueAdept
08-04-2005, 04:42 PM
Why did the old forums have to go away!

All the old messages are still here and I believe they are searchable. If there is a link for the old message board, you will have to convert it. Change http://seq.sourceforge.net/ to http://www.showeq.net/forums/ and you should be able to view the thread.

Tarkin
08-05-2005, 04:43 AM
Hehe

as said, I still have a trustworthy 3com hub at my side :) but at least where I live, the local stores do not carry any hubs anymore :( of course you can always shop ebay....

I would guess the best way to build an adapter like this, would be not to solder at all but get a double cat5 wall-outlet and just wire the second outlet up correctly.

But I guess I will live leave this sleeping dog :) If one really would need such an adapter, let me know and I will think of a nice way to build one :)

Tarkin