PDA

View Full Version : Best ShowEQ Linux distribution

serberus
08-09-2005, 02:26 PM
Hi,

I'm currently taking advantage of the 21 day trial Sony are offering so while i'm back in EQ i'm looking to get ShowEQ working again.

I was using Redhat 9 the last time I used ShowEQ but that was a few months ago and i'm assuming it would take a fair bit of updating and patching from my old Redhat CD's to get it up to speed.

I see that Fedora Core 4 seems to work with ShowEQ but I wanted to know what was the best distribution for getting ShowEQ working without too much additional work.

I use linux purely for ShowEQ so any features particular distributions offer outside of a ShowEQ context are of no use to me.

Thanks

Serberus

gruntsters
08-09-2005, 03:10 PM
I would suggest using the Fedora Core 3 instead of Core 4. It should work straight out of the box. My understanding is that with Core 4 you have to downgrade some of the system files to work with ShowEQ. Haven't tried it myself, so I don't have the details, but a friend did, and thats what he had to do.

Oops, did some more reading, looks like purple patched ShowEQ to work with gcc4 (the problem system files)

uRit1u2CBBA=
08-09-2005, 03:14 PM
Your current RedHat 9 should work if you upgrade your version of qt-dev to 3.2 or higher (I think 3.3.4 is most recent).

I think most of the users here are Fedora Core users or gentoo users.

doox00
08-09-2005, 03:42 PM
I use mandrake 10.2 (also works on 10.1) with no problems.

monster69
08-09-2005, 06:52 PM
Running on Gentoo and Suse 9.3.

Monster

Snoochie
08-10-2005, 08:47 AM
Gentoo works basically out of the box. Install KDE and libpcap and you'll have all you need installed for showeq to run.

serberus
08-10-2005, 12:13 PM
Debian makes me want to cream my pants!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It seems an awful lot faster in the console than Redhat was and the ease with which I was able to get ShowEQ up and running was something i'm totally not acustomed too.

I just used the apt-get tool and it was up and running in no time.

Fantastic.

Serberus

anonymoose
08-10-2005, 09:58 PM
I use Arch Linux (http://archlinux.org) and it works wonderfully. It has a nice package management system which calculates dependencies and isn’t bloated like Fedora / Mandrake. Tasty install of base + xorg + fluxbox can be done in about an hour if you have a good interweb connection.