PDA

View Full Version : Pointing ShowEQ to the right QT Install

serberus
08-10-2005, 08:57 AM
Rather than give up on Redhat 9 and try another linux distribution I thought I would install ShowEQ and see how it went.

I'm currently stuck on trying to get it to configure, it's complaining about the version of QT that comes with Redhat 9 (version 3.1.1 I believe) saying it needs 3.2 or better.

I downloaded and compiled/installed QT 4.0.0 but ShowEQ refuses to see it.

I would have thought the obvious way to get ShowEQ to find it was to use the ./configure --with-qt-dir=/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.0.0

That might not be the exact syntax but i'm doing it from memory, I tried the other variations on that command such as bin directory, docs, includes and it still looks at the old version of QT.

I followed the instructions on installing QT from the INSTALL file included with the archive (setting the PATH environment and such), can anyone tell me how I can set the operating system to treat my default QT directory as the new one and not the old one?

Either that or could you tell me how I can get ShowEQ to look in the right place?

Currently ShowEQ is looking in /usr/lib/qt-3.1 so I deleted all the folders out of there and put the folders from qt-4.0.0 in there but it complained about the install being corrupt.

I left my computer compiling QT-4.0.0 with the -prefixdir configure option set to install it to /usr/lib/qt-4.0.0 rather than the /usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.0.0 folder.

I've also downloaded Debian while i'm at work so i'll just use that if Redhat 9 can't cope.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I could get this working please?

Thanks

Serberus

<edit>I should mention that I was using the latest ShowEQ tarball, I tried the CVS first but that failed so I tried the tarball which seemed to work better but gets stuck with QT.</edit>

Snoochie
08-10-2005, 09:18 AM
Does QT 4 work with showeq? Might try a smaller upgrade. I know 3.3.4 works, and think showeq requires 3.3 these days.

uRit1u2CBBA=
08-10-2005, 09:25 AM
I believe that 3.2 is the correct minimum (recently changed from 3.1 a month or two ago). And 3.3.4 is that most recent stable version.

I think the 4.0.0's are in beta/development testing.

SEQ could work with it, but I don't think anyone's ever tried it before.

Try setting the environment variable QTDIR to the new installation path and see if configure notices it.

If not, it is possible that 4.0 will not work with seq yet and you should go back and recompile the 3.3.4 version.

serberus
08-10-2005, 09:50 AM
I thought you were onto a winner there uRit1u2CBBA=, my QTDIR variable was pointing to the /usr/lib/qt-3.1 directory so I changed it to my new QT directory but still no go, what a nuisance.

I'm just going to install Debian 3.1r0a and see if that will work for me (I noticed there were Debian packages available to download along with the tarball).

Thanks for the advice.

Serberus

purple
08-10-2005, 10:00 AM
QT 4.0 is probably bad. It's got major API changes and more than likely seq doesn't support it. You should use 3.3.4.

tanner
08-10-2005, 10:16 AM
I'm just going to install Debian 3.1r0a and see if that will work for me (I noticed there were Debian packages available to download along with the tarball).

Note, the debian binaries are for unstable (aka sid), you'll have to compile the source debian packages to get a stable (aka sarge) package.

Rough guide to do this is here:

http://faq.eqenchanters.org/index.php?action=artikel&cat=383683&id=45&artlang=en