PDA

View Full Version : More time than money, finding offsets.

fredgarvinjr
08-12-2005, 12:09 PM
Just wondering if anyone out there who knows how to find offsets is still playing. I've tried following the guide found here but have had some difficulty interpreting what I've found with the memory editors.

I've had experience with hex editors before, I'm just not a programmer. My biggest problem is the only memory editor I've found that can find any of the information from the guide here scans ALL memory and not just what eqgame.exe is using. Winhack, even running as admin in windows XP, doesn't list eqgame in the processes list.

For example, when I search on my character name in step 1 of the guide. I find 4 sets of name/zone short name/zone long name in a pattern. Same thing with the next step to find the CharacterName and LastName.

I'd really like to distance my self from the "donation" based 2.x version since I've found it to be unusably slow and bloated with stuff I don't need.

I'd be happy with offsets posted here by those of you who know how and still play.

Thanks,
Fred Garvin, Jr.

purple
08-12-2005, 12:33 PM
I've never used myseq before, but can you "borrow" offsets from MQ2?

I'd imagine you'd have to make a list of the conversion between entries in their header file to the myseq ini file, but once you've got that, you just need to wait for an MQ2 release to get your offsets. I don't know if this will piss anyone off or not, but they're GPL and so is myseq, so I'd imagine even if it does piss someone off it's still perfectly fine to do.

They probably have a lot more offsets than what myseq needs, so you might have to wade through a lot at the start. But once done, you should be pretty well off. MQ2 seems to still have a lot of steam, so they'll probably keep up to date well over time, where myseq here seems pretty silent here at least.

If you do use MQ2 offsets and it works fine, you might consider tossing in some bucks to the donation pot for MQ2 to thank them for helping you out.

fredgarvinjr
08-12-2005, 12:46 PM
Well, from what I've gathered offsets are offsets. But MQ2 is kinda tied into the 2.x version that broke off from here and started asking for donations in the first place. Again, I've found 2.x too slow and bloated for my use. Why I should donate for a product I don't use is beyond me.

Thanks,
Fred Garvin, Jr.

purple
08-12-2005, 12:59 PM
That post makes absolutely no sense. But anyways, good luck!

BlueAdept
08-12-2005, 08:04 PM
An offset is an offset. If the 2.x posted the offsets, you should be able to use them in the 1.x.

Same with MQ2. If they post the correct offsets that are used by MySEQ, they would be the same.

btw I found this thread. Might be of some help. http://www.showeq.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4480&highlight=finding+offsets

You have to be using win 98 to do it though.