PDA

View Full Version : dummy guide

sonax
09-14-2005, 04:59 AM
i have no idea how to work my linux box it was set up for me by a guy i played with i paid him in pp, if anyone could give me a step by step way up updating my showeq on my debian linux box that would rock, and any saryrn players ill pay in plat for some help im poor in real life but loaded in eq (no im not a reseller)

thanks in advance

tanner
09-14-2005, 07:30 AM
I'm sure someone will point you to the search capability of the forums. But what you ask is a specific FAQ and is answered below:

http://faq.eqenchanters.org/index.php?action=artikel&cat=383683&id=6&artlang=en

It's also in my signature of every post to the forums, like this one.

BlueAdept
09-14-2005, 08:02 AM
You won't find much simpathy for anyone who BUYS their SEQ box.

My suggestion is that you go to http://www.tldp.org/ first. Learn the basic commands you will need.

Then read the FAQ. http://www.showeq.net/forums/faq.php?

Then start reading the message board. Using the search http://www.showeq.net/forums/search.php? will answer almost any question you can think of.

If you pay someone to do this, well guess what, next week it will probably be broken again and you will most likely get ABSOLUTLY NO HELP NEXT TIME from us here.

If you can't be bothered by learning linux or how to run SEQ, you can always try MySEQ which runs on a windows machine. It is possible that Sony could detect MySEQ since it pulls the key from memory.

sonax
09-14-2005, 10:23 AM
i have no problem learning it in fact last time there was apatch i almost had it figured out then the guy logged on and said ill do it for ya, im a guildleader of a small guild and the member really had no problem doing it for me seeing how it helps us find mobs up and such without running zone to zone with a tracker, the links you provided me helped and im sure ill figure it out.... i should have spent more time reading faq's and forums but i work alot dont hav much time for things like that ...

BlueAdept
09-14-2005, 11:31 AM
Good luck on it. If it had been working recently, it shouldn't be that hard to update.

People here are usually willing to help, as long as the person has put some effort into finding their own solution first.

Cryonic
09-14-2005, 11:51 AM
but i work alot dont hav much time for things like that ...

Not the right attitude to have here. You're not the only one who works a lot, yet others have no trouble finding the needed information...

sonax
09-14-2005, 05:27 PM
ok got off work early today been sitting here 3 hours trying to figure it out yes im dummer than i came off as ...i have done this

Add the following to your /etc/apt/sources.list

Unstable (sid)

deb ftp://ftp.real-time.com/linux/real-time-debpool sid custom

and nowhere in all of these faq's does it say what to do next

sonax
09-14-2005, 05:47 PM
you know if you guys had a question about building a house or remote control boats/planes/cars i would answer gladly and have in the past because thats my job/hobbies why does it have to be "read the faq" (which taught me how to add things to my sources ) i have read all of it and searched to forums for "basic commands " installing showeq" updating showeq" magic genie help me " wheres bill gates when ya need him

nothing tells me how to update showeq what to type how to download

grrrr

Cryonic
09-14-2005, 07:36 PM
Two things. You are using debian, so maybe go read the docs about your distro
http://debian.org

Read the announcements section for updates about releases and where to get them...

tanner
09-14-2005, 09:21 PM

Are you joking?

I'll cut-n-paste directly from my FAQ.

All this info is at this url -and- in my signature of all my posts.

http://faq.eqenchanters.org/index.php?action=artikel&cat=383683&id=6&artlang=en

All my posts end with (in part)

ShowEQ Debian/Ubuntu Package FAQ (including installation HOWTO)

Add the following to your /etc/apt/sources.list

Unstable (sid)
deb ftp://ftp.real-time.com/linux/real-time-debpool sid custom
deb-src ftp://ftp.real-time.com/linux/real-time-debpool sid custom

You got the above, did you stop reading after that? Below is exactly what you need to install showeq under debian.

Minimal Installation
% sudo apt-get update
% sudo apt-get install showeq

Optional Installation
% sudo apt-get install showeq-maps
% sudo apt-get install showeq-contrib
% sudo apt-get install showeq-doc

This is exactly what you need to install showeq.

Look below, no down there below these words. A link to the debian FAQ and installation instructions.

hug
09-15-2005, 09:36 AM
you know if you guys had a question about building a house or remote control boats/planes/cars i would answer gladly and have in the past because thats my job/hobbies why does it have to be "read the faq" (which taught me how to add things to my sources ) i have read all of it and searched to forums for "basic commands " installing showeq" updating showeq" magic genie help me " wheres bill gates when ya need him

grrrr

Please keep in mind that SOE tolorates showeq to some extent, even though it is a pretty big violation of the EULA (opinions vary on this). The less people using showeq, the less SOE is inclinded to make a big deal out of it.

SOE could change the opcodes on a daily basis if they chose to, effectively shutting down seq. Sure, the fine folks here might spend a lot of time figuring out a workaround for this tactic, and are smart enough to do it I believe. SOE would then switch tactics and find another way to disrupt it.

For now, SOE has not declared an out and out war against seq because of the relatively low number of people using it.

The installation for seq can be difficult for a person new to linux and seq, and most get frustrated and stop trying. I don't know if this is intentional or not, but it is a GOOD THING.

If everyone who played eq was able to easily set up seq, SOE would certainly step up their efforts to shut it down. This is a BAD THING.

Some people on this board seem like elitist snobs when you first come here, but if you do the work and spend the time learning, you will understand where they are coming from and appreciate the mass amounts of time they put in to keeping the seq project going. Most here are pretty good about answering specific questions about specific parts or errors in the install process, but will not spoon feed you the entire process. All the information you need is here waiting for you, even including a step by step guide for pulling and compiling from source from CVS. It is only recently that the install was made easier for everyone by releasing packages instead of just the source code.

You now have a choice. You can either spend the time figuring out the install from the information in these forums, or you can give up and play eq as you always have.

You will be welcomed here or thrashed. Which one is completely up to you.