PDA

View Full Version : SEQ Linux & Windows Question

Qwath
02-17-2002, 12:10 AM
I heard it is possible to run linux and Windows at the same time. How would I go around doing that? Thanks all

high_jeeves
02-17-2002, 12:37 AM
Depends on what exactly you mean. If you want to run them both at the same time on the same machine, you will need to run linux in VMWare or some similar software. Sounds like you dont know much about linux, so I would highly recommend you do some reading at places like linux.org, or you will get flamed heavily here.

maco2580
02-19-2002, 02:46 PM
I is very easy to run them both at the same time...
use 2 computers!!!

Seriously, it is possible, but if you can't load a linux box to begin with, I wouldnt advise trying VMWare.

Just get a 2nd box, download the ISO's for whatever version of Linux you choose (I use Redhat) and start reading. If you really need help, you can purchase the software with like 30 day support for under 50 dollars and that should at least get you going, but realize it may take you a while to do it.

Jord
02-20-2002, 10:53 AM
Minor additional note....

Even though you can run Windows under Linux you cannot play EQ in that windows. It can run non-directX applications (read everything but games).

Truly the only (and best) option for using SEQ is to have it run on a second computer. I run it on a little (and VERY old) notebook next to my main computer and it is great.

fgay trader
02-20-2002, 01:56 PM
As the previous poster suggested, most likely you will not be able to run EQ and SEQ on same machine.

Even if you do find that little proggy that lets you run DirectX apps in a window and actually manage to set it up, you will then need to set up VMWare on your Windows machine, then set up Linux through VMware and get it to recognize all your hardware needed to get out to the Internet, then get, compile, install and configure SEQ to sniff itself (?).....

Even if you get all of this done, your poor computer will probably not be able to handle everything you just threw at it. Think of RAM: Windows (98/ME/2000/XP) takes a good chunk to itself (anywhere from 32 MB to 64 or even 128), VMWare also needs about 200 MB RAM to run Linux (RH 7.2), EQ itself last I checked requires minimum 128 MB RAM to run, plus whatever other programs are running in the background in both your Windows and Lunux sessions. Add it up and even with 512 MB you'll be running low. I'm not even talking about CPU usage by Win, VMWare, EQ, SEQ, etc.

I myself tried to do something similar when on my friend's Linux machine (P3-800Mhz laptop w/256 MB RAM) RH7.2 flat out refused to recognize his PCMCIA Ethernet card, so not knowing much about Linux I did the Win2K -> VMWare -> RH7.2 -> SEQ install. Card was recognized automagically :) but SEQ was running soooooooo sloooooooow that it became counter-productive to use it.

My point is it will be MUCH easier for you to get some old cheap computer and make it a dedicated SEQ machine. And who knows, you might even find that Linux actually has other uses :p

high_jeeves
02-20-2002, 04:46 PM
I think there are users using a combination of EQW (to run EQ in a window) and VMWare to run ShowEQ. But I agree with everyone else... for $200 (on EBay) I got a machine that is more than capable of running ShowEQ (as well as my personal CVS, MySQL, WWW, FTP, NAT, DNS and DHCP server). Quite useful for $200 in hardware.

--Jeeves

gore
02-21-2002, 12:30 AM
Certainly, it is possible. I've done it.

HOWEVER

I do not recommend it to anybody. There are several reasons:

To do this you need to use bridged networking - which requires another, real IP address for your Linux VM. That is a limiting factor already for most people, as most ISPs provide only 1 IP.

You also need a rather powerful system to run VMWare alone - and you need a truly *huge* system to handle EQ + Linux VM w/SEQ at the same time. Realistically, to run both at once, you would require a multiprocessor system with at *least* 512 megs of RAM. To run Win2K with a Linux/SEQ VM as the *only* running app, you probably need a 500 mhz processor with at least 256 megs of RAM if you want it to be even remotely usable.

Also note that the full version of VMWare costs a whopping 300 bucks - if you don't fork out the cash, your hard work is for naught after the 30 day trial expires. For that price, you could easily afford adequate hardware to build a SEQ capable Linux box.

My recommendation, if you want to see SEQ side by side with EQ on the same machine: Install VNC on a SEQ/linux box doing NAT routing for your network, and connect to it with the VNC client from your windows/EQ machine. This should be *much* more usable than attempting to run EQ alongside a Linux VM on the same machine.

-gore