PDA

View Full Version : updating qt

darkassassin
10-11-2005, 02:41 PM
attempting a build of 5.2.0.0. for redhat 9
previous versions of seq ran fine for this os

ran configure
was notifed that qt-3.1.1 won't work and qt-3.2.0 or greater is required

i tried qt-x11-free-3.3.5. and qt-x11-opensource-src-4.0.1 (not entirely positive this is the right package as the only advice listed in the seq install docs are to visit www.trolltech.com (http://www.trolltech.com))
was able to build and install with no problems.

configure for seq succeeded, but despite a successful pass, it saw the new qt install for all of its components except for the lib directory. for lib it still defaulted to the older qt lib directory despite my having tried the following:

set the QTDIR env variable to the newer qt version path,
set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH env variable to the newer qt version path,
manually edited the Makefile to point the QT_LDFLAGS and qt_libraries script variables to the newer version path
the resulting problem still remains that unresolved dependances are being produced in the build. i.e. the new headers are being used, but despite my apparently futile efforts, the build is still trying to link to the old qt lib dirs. why?

If I am not trying to build seq with a correct qt package, would somebody kindly paste a link for a version of qt that will work with this for redhat 9?

or perhaps any advice on this would be helpful.

purple
10-11-2005, 03:14 PM
4 is too new. 3.3.5 should work if you can get it installed correctly. I don't know much about autoconf/automake magic, but I'd assume as long as you set QTDIR properly that things should work fine.

previous versions of seq ran fine for this os

That's not entirely true. We've required 3.2 and higher for 4 or 5 releases now.

darkassassin
10-11-2005, 03:46 PM
Thanks for replying.

4 is too new. 3.3.5 should work if you can get it installed correctly.
Ok this is helpful to know.

Can you tell me if qt-x11-free-3.3.5.tar.gz is the correct 3.3.5 package? or is there something else?

As far as getting it installed correctly, that seems to be the gray area. It builds and installs without error. Assuming the package i listed above is the right one, it is now just a matter of making the SEQ configurator see the newer QT libs, because it sees the newer QT headers, docs, and everything else except for the libs. I make the same assumption regarding QTDIR, but SEQ's configure seems to disagree.

It is really odd that manually editing the Makefile didn't fix this. There were only 2 entries in it that pointed to the wrong lib directory and modifying those entries didn't work. If the SEQ build doesn't use the Makefile for these paths, then where is the linker information originating from that is telling it to use the original QT path? really strange...

I'll keep digging. Id hate to have to install a newer OS just to get this to work.

da

purple
10-11-2005, 04:52 PM
The makefile in the root or in src? Make sure you edit them both. You might also try --with-qt-libraries=<directory with QT libraries> I guess. I wish I knew more about autoconf to be able to tell you if it is broken or not, but I don't. I just know it works for me.

darkassassin
10-11-2005, 08:41 PM
The makefile in the root or in src? Make sure you edit them both. You might also try --with-qt-libraries=<directory with QT libraries> I guess. I wish I knew more about autoconf to be able to tell you if it is broken or not, but I don't. I just know it works for me.I tried editing both as well as all applicable configure options.

I got it to build finally by using one of the locations for the lib directory that was in the configure script. i went with /usr/local/qt/lib.

This shouldnt have been necessary and completely defeats the purpose of having a QTDIR, but oh well. it built fine after i gave in to the madness.

It also bothers me that editing the Makefiles didn't fix it before. This tells me that some linker settings information is being held somewhere else other than the Makefiles. Im not ranting, but that shit makes baby jesus cry.

It runs, but it segfaults every other time i zone. Ill look into that next. at least it builds. :D

Thanks again for replying.

purple
10-11-2005, 08:51 PM
You're welcome. Accepting patches! I know absolutely nothing about autoconf.

SunTzu
10-22-2005, 02:10 PM
Can anyone provide working Makefiles for this? I can't get it to configure ;(

I'm using 3.3.5 of qt and it won't see the libs

darkassassin
10-22-2005, 11:29 PM
If your configure script doesn't verify usage of the correct qt libs then you need to install qt or a link to qt at one of the "configure script recognized" locations such as /usr/local/qt. ( see my previous post in this thread )

That is what I did to get it to work.

Hope this helps.

p.s. dont expect somebody to be able to produce a working Makefile for you, the whole idea of configure scripts is to set up the Makefile for your specific system. They are rarely portable.

-da