PDA

View Full Version : network troubles

chachacha45
11-09-2005, 07:30 PM
heres my situation, i attend college and live in the dorms, internet access works like this, everytime you plug in a new computer you have to go through this agreement then it turns your internet on, downfall of this is that i cant interchange my linux and my windows box because ill just have to keep doing the agreement.

i purchased a switchless hub, and am typing from my windows box, the linux box is connected to the hub also but the networking is not setup, (ip and whatnot).

is there any way to get this running? by giving them the same mac addresses or do i need to purchase a router also?

bonkersbobcat
11-09-2005, 10:28 PM
You might try getting a router / firewall that does NAT for you (Almost all of the modern home firewall / routers do this - netgear, linksys, etc.)

These devices allow you to share a single IP address (and MAC address) without your ISP (the college) knowing it.

Because most of these firewall / router boxes have a built in switch (and not a hub) you will still need your non-switching hub.

Plug the router into your internet connection. Plug your hub into the "inside" connection of your router. Plug your EQ box and your SEQ box into the hub.

Login to the Internet with your Windows box and fill out the agreement. (Note that once you do this, if you don't ever power down the router box, you will probably stay logged in. You can power down your computer but the firewall box will "hold" your connection to the Internet.)

Play EQ and run SEQ - since they are both on a HUB SEQ will see all the packets. The bonus of this is the firewall will protect you from other people in the dorm.

chachacha45
11-09-2005, 11:50 PM
thank you very much for response, newegg here i come

BlueAdept
11-10-2005, 08:18 AM
You could make your linux box your nat. You would need 2 network cards though in your linux machine.

cable --- linux --(crossover cable)-- win

that way you wouldnt need a router or a hub.