PDA

View Full Version : Warning!

Cheshire
11-11-2005, 11:49 PM
Just a heads up...There is a guy my roomie knows in her guild who is a developer, he runs the steel warriors site, etc. They are running live code to detect SEQ users and macro quest users...not sure how they can get SEQ users legally...especially one behind a firewalled server like myself but, they are trying...worst I have heard is a 30day suspension.
IF I am wrong please let me know but I heard it from the horses mouth...err well read it on her guild chat anyway....I am pretty sure he cruises this site so I am not going to say much more. IF anyone else has valid info on this then please post it here.

Laters,
Cheshire

LordCrush
11-12-2005, 05:40 AM
Hi,

I think you mix up Showeq and MySEQ. They search for MySEQ users but not Showeq Users. You *CAN NOT* detect Showeq. The most what you can do is to look if a Network Interface Card (NIC) runs in Promiscuous Mode, that means it reads packets that are not addressed to that MAC-Addr. Normaly such packets are ignored by a NIC. But a NIC in Promiscuous Mode does not mean that you are running Showeq. Any Network Sniffer Tool eg Etherreal and many other free and commercial tools do the same.

Btw it is not easy to find out that a NIC on the network is in Promiscuous Mode its needs to active send packets to other PCs on your network and more ...

And you cannot be shure what is behind that NIC.

Macroquest and MySEQ run Memoryreader or Memorymodifier (Macroquest) on the same PC where EQ runs ...

The only way to detect SEQ is if you behave stupid e.g. Bee-line to a rare spawn, tell GM that you know that the mob was there and so on ;)

Relax and have a nice Weekend

-- Lord Crush

purple
11-12-2005, 07:01 AM
You're wrong.

The only way someone is going to know you're using seq is because of your actions in game. Showeq is 100% passive.

Sure, you can detect if a host has their network card in promiscuous mode. But you have to scan that host and rely on signature information like bugs in the network stack or latency. You control your network and even if SoE scans you, your NAT/Firewall box will block it, tell you about it, or forward it somewhere you control. Alternately, SoE could use your EQ client to scan your network, but think of how much outrage there would be if that happened.

Given all that, there are still hundreds of valid reasons to have a NIC in promiscuous mode that have nothing to do with seq. IDS software like snort leaves my NIC in promiscuous mode all the time, even without seq. Even if they could use signature detection to find promiscious NICs, there's no way they'd ban someone because they play EQ and use snort.

In my opinion, the current high profile cheating crackdown is aimed at shared bank no drop traders, warpers, and ghosters. It's goals are probably to get rid of that crap and to scare other people to try to get them to stop doing whatever they are doing. Anything else I really think you have to get petitioned for and then a GM finds proof you're doing something you're not supposed to be.

But that's just my opinion. I personally don't know anyone who has been banned or suspended. But if you're worried that you'll lose your time invested in your character, by all means, don't use showeq.

BlueAdept
11-12-2005, 12:34 PM
I have to agree with purple and LordCrush. SEQ is not detectable (unless you consider checking for a nic in promiscuous mode which doesn't mean jack). About the only thing they could do (and have done in the past) is to change the encryption. That would only affect SEQ.

MySEQ IS detectable since it pulls the information directly from EQ's memory locations (just like MQ). I think sony would have their hands full though if they really think they can prove they are using MySEQ or MQ.

I think that sony will probably just ban people who are using active hacks (or at least some of the active hacks). I don't forsee them going so far as to eliminate MQ or any of the other tools. Honestly, I really wouldn't mind getting rid of some of the people who use active hacks.

MQ has become too popular and the use of active hacks is rampant. I was trying to do the halloween quest and I had 3 people warp to ks the scarecrows from me (remember I have SEQ and can see them warp right to them but I do also have tracking). One scarecrow poped right next to me. Before I could get my spell off, a level 70 SK warped right to it and attacked it.

I really wish we could put an IQ test on all of the alternative tools. If you can't cheat with them properly (meaning that you don't bother other people while using them) then you should be banned.

LordCrush
11-12-2005, 03:05 PM
... but I do also have tracking...

Fellow Ranja BA ? :)

BlueAdept
11-12-2005, 09:23 PM
No...DrOOid.

He is an alt, but was using him to get the seeds and umm....forget pumpkin flesh?