PDA

View Full Version : ShowEQ finds EQ client but displays nothing

tacoboy
11-15-2005, 03:49 AM
I am using my linux box to route all traffic from the EQ client box. Whenever I ask SEQ to monitor next client seen it is able to find the client, but nothing happens beyond that. I'm not sure what exactly I'm doing wrong, so hopefully somebody can help. I am using a switch, but I thought that shouldn't matter since the linux box is the router in my setup. There are no errors or warnings when starting SEQ except something about a Guildsfile which I assume doesn't pertain to this problem.

linux client: Fedora Core 4

LordCrush
11-15-2005, 04:34 AM
Little info in your post. Please post the Consoleoutput of seq when you start it.

tacoboy
11-15-2005, 04:44 AM
ShowEQ 5.2.2.0, released under the GPL.
SINS 0.5, released under the GPL.
All ShowEQ source code is Copyright (C) 2000-2005 by the respective ShowEQ Developers
ShowEQ comes with NO WARRANTY.

You may redistribute copies of ShowEQ under the terms of
The GNU General Public License.
See: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html for more details...

For updates and information, please visit http://seq.sourceforge.net/
ShowEQ 5.2.2.0, Built from 'main.cpp' on Nov 14 2005 at 19:28:02
CVS: @(#) $Id: main.cpp,v 1.35 2005/10/05 15:29:08 cmmalone Exp $ $Name: $
Using GCC version: 4.0.0
Using glibc version: 2.3
Using Qt version: 3.3.4
Using headers from linux version: 2.4.20
Using EQItemDB: @(#) $Id: itemdb.cpp,v 1.11 2005/09/13 15:23:11 cmmalone Exp $ $Name: $
Using GDBM: This is GDBM version 1.8.0, as of May 19, 1999.
Running on Linux release 2.6.14-1.1637_FC4 for processor i686

Using config file '/root/.showeq/showeq.xml'
Loaded preferences file: /usr/local/share/showeq/seqdef.xml!
Loaded preferences file: /root/.showeq/showeq.xml!
Info: Listening for first client seen.
Info: Initializing Packet Capture Thread:
Info: Filtering packets on device eth0, searching for EQ client...
Info: Loaded 7872 spells from '/usr/local/share/showeq/spells_us.txt' maxSpell=0x20fe
Warning: GuildMgr: Guildsfile not loaded, expected size 96064 got 30724
Debug: ItemDB: Disabled
Info: Loading Filters from '/home/tacoboy'
Info: Loading Zone Filter File: /home/tacoboy
Info: Categories Reloaded
Info: No Map found for zone 'unknown'!
Info: Checked for all variants of 'unknown.map', 'unknown.txt', and 'unknown_1.txt'
Info: in directories '/root/.showeq/maps' and '/usr/local/share/showeq/maps'!
Info: Loaded 5901 message strings from '/usr/local/share/showeq/eqstr_us.txt' maxFormat=35003
Info: Client Detected: 192.168.1.103

purple
11-15-2005, 06:58 AM
How exactly is your network hooked up? You say the linux box is the router. What does that mean when you say it?

Can tcpdump see EQ traffic?

BlueAdept
11-15-2005, 08:38 AM
Info: Loading Filters from '/home/tacoboy'

Just wanted to make sure that you are running this as root or with root permissions.

LordCrush
11-15-2005, 10:24 AM
Info: Client Detected: 192.168.1.103

Is this the PC you are running EQ on ?

BlueAdept
11-15-2005, 12:33 PM
I am using my linux box to route all traffic from the EQ client box. Whenever I ask SEQ to monitor next client seen it is able to find the client, but nothing happens beyond that.

From that, I gather your network looks something like this?

Inet to eth0 on linux. linux on eth1 to winpc via a crossover cable.

Linux machine is providing nat and firewall for the windows pc.

You do not have any hubs or switches.

tacoboy
11-15-2005, 06:23 PM
This is how I have it set up currently:
Inet to eth0 on linux. linux on eth1 to winpc via a SWITCH (both plugged into same switch).
Linux machine is providing nat for the windows pc(I'm using ipv4/ip_forward).

The internet that is plugged into eth0 on linux is actually not directly from the cable modem. It is running through a hardware router, but I didn't think that would matter because all of the SEQ routing happens after that point in the network.

I haven't tried tcpdump, and I'm not even sure what that is. I will do some research and try to figure out the answer to your question purple. I am running with root permissions as I do a su before running the binary file. 192.168.1.103 is the correct ip for the computer that I am running EQ from, which is why this confuses me so much. It is able to detect everything correctly, but either it isn't seeing the packet traffic, or it just refuses to display what it is filtering (I would guess it isn't able to see it correctly for whatever reason). Truthfully this could be a completely stupid mistake I'm making, but I tried to be sure traffic was routing through the linux box before posting my problem on the board.

Cryonic
11-15-2005, 06:46 PM
sounds like SEQ is getting the right IP, but grabbing the wrong interface. There is a command-line switch to force it to a specific interface and should also be able to do it from the menus in the program. Think the option you want is hidden in the Network menu.

That the linux box is hooked to a router doesn't matter. That it is hooked to the Windows system via a switch DOESN'T matter. In both cases the traffic HAS to go through the linux box.

tacoboy
11-15-2005, 06:48 PM
sounds like SEQ is getting the right IP, but grabbing the wrong interface. There is a command-line switch to force it to a specific interface and should also be able to do it from the menus in the program. Think the option you want is hidden in the Network menu.

That the linux box is hooked to a router doesn't matter. That it is hooked to the Windows system via a switch DOESN'T matter. In both cases the traffic HAS to go through the linux box.I changed the interface using the menu in SEQ to eth1, but when I do that it doesn't even detect the client correctly. I think maybe this was what you were suggesting.

purple
11-15-2005, 07:07 PM
tcpdump is what it sounds like. It will show you all packets the interface sees. EQ packets should be pretty obvious since they are going to/from servers that sound like EQ servers. If you can see the traffic on tcpdump, then we should be able to get SEQ to work for you. If you can't, then there's something up with your networking setup.

So just do "tcpdump -i eth0" and see if you see a lot of crap zoming to/from eqzone-[whatever]. If you do, good. If not, try eth1.

BlueAdept
11-15-2005, 07:15 PM
Ok. What is the ip range that the router is assigning? That may be the problem.

your ips should look something like this.

Inet ip ----router ----- 192.168.0.xxx ETH0 on linux --- linux ETH1 --- 192.168.1.103 winpc

If you have the router giving ips on the same subnet as your linux machine, it could cause problems. So if your linux machine is given say 192.168.1.100 from the router and your linux machine gives 192.168.1.103, it is probably going to have a problem. You should have 2 different subnets.

If they are on 2 different subnets, try this.

./showeq --net-interface=eth1 --ip-address=192.168.1.103