PDA

View Full Version : eth0 = no go with Bridged?

SaberTewth
02-18-2002, 03:16 PM
Heya,

Was hoping someone can pop me in the correct direction. Using cablevision, called them up, and they tell me I can't have 2 IPs for my cable modem, which is why I believe when I boot up redhat via vmware bridged mode, I get a [ FAILED ] for finding an IP and eth0 itself. Hangs at that check for 5 minutes before it proceeds, but no biggie.

I tried NAT mode and was actually able to ping the Host machine, from the virtual network. So I figured I can run:

showeq <win IP>

and it would work fine. It loads and all, but get no data shown. Can connect my modem via USB, bought a cat5 general ethernet cable to try and get this working.

If anyone has any idea of how I can go around this, and get Linux to recognize eth0 on a virtual machine using vmware, would appreciate any assistance very much so. Thanks again!

-Steve

S_B_R
02-18-2002, 03:46 PM
Just reconfigure eth0 to NOT use DHCP, give it some unroutible IP then it should come up and work in bridged mode.... Course I've never use VMWare for this, so I dunno for sure if it will work... I'm sure someone here will correct me if I'm wrong ;)

darkangelx
02-20-2002, 05:22 AM
since you cant have more than one ip first complain daily to your isp caue they are lame. second, im iffy at best with redhat cause i hate it, but you can go in and assign 2 ips to 1nic. You need your ifconfig to look something like this:

eth0
(ip from your cable provider)205.22.15.1 (or something like that)
netmask 255.255.255.0 (or close last number is subject to change with your ip addy)
gate way (again given by ISP)
now then under that you want to get a non-public ip you can use 192.0.0.1 with a netmask of

now on your windoz box you would set the ip to 192.0.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 with a gateway of 192.0.0.1 this forces your comp to route through 190.0.0.1 which is your ip you need to setup. I use slackware and it was mearly adding a few lines to the rc.inet1, again i am not a redhate wiz but if i am not mistaken its not way off from that. I hope this helps some. If not oh well, im bored and like typing.

S_B_R
02-20-2002, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by darkangelx
since you cant have more than one ip first complain daily to your isp caue they are lame. second, im iffy at best with redhat cause i hate it, but you can go in and assign 2 ips to 1nic. You need your ifconfig to look something like this:

eth0
(ip from your cable provider)205.22.15.1 (or something like that)
netmask 255.255.255.0 (or close last number is subject to change with your ip addy)
gate way (again given by ISP)
now then under that you want to get a non-public ip you can use 192.0.0.1 with a netmask of

now on your windoz box you would set the ip to 192.0.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 with a gateway of 192.0.0.1 this forces your comp to route through 190.0.0.1 which is your ip you need to setup. I use slackware and it was mearly adding a few lines to the rc.inet1, again i am not a redhate wiz but if i am not mistaken its not way off from that. I hope this helps some. If not oh well, im bored and like typing.

What you are describing here is IP Masquerading. I don't know if that will work with a VMWare client as the NAT machine. Also that setup could cause serious network latency... But it might work, it adds another layer to the complexity as well..