PDA

View Full Version : Returning after a year...anyone still using RH7.2?

Return
11-26-2005, 07:10 AM
I left EQ a year ago and had ShowEQ up and running for the last 2 years before I left.

I wondering before I dive back in and start setting up a new Linux box, is anyone still using and getting ShowEQ to run with RH 7.2. That is what I had working as late as October 04. I have the boxed version I bought so it would be an easy install.

I was and still am a Linux noob, but I was about to get things to work without asking too many questions. I am hoping it will still run on RH7.2 since I never mastered how to download a whole distro on a windows box then somehow get it into a empty box with new fresh formated drives and set it up from scratch ( I remember not to ask such a question here).

If it will still work with 7.2 I will dig in get it running again.

Thanks.

BlueAdept
11-26-2005, 07:22 AM
First off we don't support people who BOUGHT a free product. See if the person who you bought it from will get you up to date.

There are a lot of packages you would need to update for it to work on 7.2. I would suggest Fedora Core 3 or 4 but it probably won't run on the POS you bought.

No one is going to walk you through on how to get it to work. You will need to spend the time to read the message boards, use the search, read the FAQ and pretty much figure it out yourself. Most people will give some guidance if the work you have done shows that you are trying.

Cryonic
11-26-2005, 11:18 AM
We don't support people who bought boxed copies of the RedHat distro??? First I've heard of that BA...

As for SEQ, there are way too many changes to the core code to be supported by the packages available for RH7.2.

Upgrade the system to either Fedora Core 3 or 4 and you can just use CeleSEQ's packages for that distro to do the SEQ install. You'll need two packages, the SEQ package and the -maps package. The first gets you the binaries and the second gets you the maps (and possibly some of the default filters of BA's,e tc...).

I<3EQ
11-26-2005, 12:48 PM
Return,

I think BA thought you meant that you purchased a computer with ShowEQ already on it. We don't offer support for people who do that.

Getting ShowEQ going on RH7.2 will probably be more hassle than setting up a new distro. IIRC, there was a posting a couple months ago from someone who managed to do it so you may want to browse or search for it in this forum.

If you want to get up and running with a new distro that has good support for newbies, try Mandriva. Either download the distribution and tackle it on your own, or sign up at http://club.mandriva.com for support, training, and club-only mirrors. Their installer is very straight forward, they have decent documentation (at least as good as -- if not better than -- any other distro), and a newbie-oriented community.

If you were able to get up and running with RH7.2, they should be able to get you going in no time. Good luck.

Return
11-26-2005, 04:29 PM
I<3EQ,

Yep I can of figured Blue popped cork his thinking that, but Blue always been a hot head :). What I bought was a boxed version of Redhat. I didn't know jack about Linux when ShowEQ came around so I figured my best bet was to buy RH with its manuals and support. I also bought Linux for Dummys to get a basic understanding of Linux ,enough to run ShowEQ. I was suscessful and ran it for 3-4 years. I still don't know Linux very well but I learned enough to do all the updates and moves to different Qt versions.

I was only asking is anyone still using 7.2. to determine my next course of action. I learned along time ago that ShowEQ board was full of "Linux knowledegable" sensitives that got real upset if you asked an unaccepatbel question.

I guess asking what the current version of ShowEQ was with compatable which version of RH crossed the line.

Cryonic, Like I<3EQ, you got the question. Thanks to both of you for providing a little direction. I know what I have toi do now and I will follow your leads.

BlueAdept
11-26-2005, 05:10 PM
I<3EQ,

Yep I can of figured Blue popped cork his thinking that, but Blue always been a hot head :). What I bought was a boxed version of Redhat. I didn't know jack about Linux when ShowEQ came around so I figured my best bet was to buy RH with its manuals and support. I also bought Linux for Dummys to get a basic understanding of Linux ,enough to run ShowEQ. I was suscessful and ran it for 3-4 years. I still don't know Linux very well but I learned enough to do all the updates and moves to different Qt versions.

I was only asking is anyone still using 7.2. to determine my next course of action. I learned along time ago that ShowEQ board was full of "Linux knowledegable" sensitives that got real upset if you asked an unaccepatbel question.

I guess asking what the current version of ShowEQ was with compatable which version of RH crossed the line.

Cryonic, Like I<3EQ, you got the question. Thanks to both of you for providing a little direction. I know what I have toi do now and I will follow your leads.

My apologies. I did spout off. I thought you ment you bought your SEQ box. It has been a while since someone came here with one of those and I thought it was my chance to whip out my claws. :)

It is possible to get it to work on RH 7.2, but you will need to update quite a few packages.

My suggestions is to burn some cds of FC 3 or 4. You can get the isos here:
http://fedora.redhat.com/download/

Return
11-27-2005, 04:17 AM
BA, apology accepted. I understand completely. I usually do not get real excited about stuff but even the 'Boxed ShowEQ" fired me up.

To a non-Linux user it took a considerable amount of effort and time to understand and get ShowEQ running ( thanks to folks here) and the idea someone could buy one premade sorta didn't seem right.

Thanks for the information/links. I will be looking over both FC and Mandriva to see which one I think I can get running the quickiest.

It is good to be back :)

BlueAdept
11-27-2005, 08:34 AM
If you have a 4 gig or better hard drive, I would just do a complete install. That way you will not have to mess with adding packages. FC 3 and 4 will compile SEQ without any additional packages.

If you don't have 4 gigs, you will have to pick and choose the packages. I don't have a list of the packages needed (it might be in the FAQ but not sure) but I know they are around.

Return
11-27-2005, 04:01 PM
I have decided to go with FC4 on a clean box. I am downloading the disk images now. Thanks for the assitance.

KRONOS
11-28-2005, 08:23 AM
My memory may be tricking me but I seem to remember that the install everything option of FC3 was over 4GB.

Cryonic
11-28-2005, 09:01 AM
so don't use the install everything option and just install SEQ using CeleSEQ's RPM packages. Don't need the devel options for that, just the basic workstation install.

Return
11-28-2005, 10:16 AM
I tried going to CeleSEQ's RPM packages, but the site seems to be down at the moment.

Return
11-28-2005, 05:17 PM
OK, I got FC4 installed accepting the default Workstation configuration. I grabbed the tar file and extracted it then moved the files to a new folder "showeq" directlty under root (the way it used to be for me).

Here is the result: It seems I have the dreaded ( for me) QT problem. I have looked for QT in /usr/local/ , /usr/lib (I am still looking for the file SEARCH feature in FC4). It appears I don't have the QT stuff or I need to find it.

Thanks for any comments.

[root@localhost showeq]# dir
acinclude.m4 config.log Doxyfile ltmain.sh README.libEQ
aclocal.m4 config.sub doxygen.am m4 ROADMAP
AUTHORS configure doxygen.cfg Makefile.am showeq.1
BUGS configure.dbg FAQ Makefile.dist showeq-5.2.2.0.tar.bz2
ChangeLog configure.in INSTALL Makefile.in showeq-5.2.2.0.tar.bz2_FILES
conf COPYING INSTALL.newbies missing showeq.kdevelop
config.guess depcomp install-sh NEWS src
config.h.in doc libtool README TODO
[root@localhost showeq]# LIBC=gnu ./configure
checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking target system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... no
checking for doxygen... /usr/bin/doxygen
checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
checking for dot... no
configure: WARNING: dot not found - will not generate graphics for doxygen documentation
checking for gcc3... no
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for g++3... no
checking for g++... g++
checking for supported compiler version... checking for style of include used by make... GNU
checking for C++ compiler default output file name... a.out
checking whether the C++ compiler works... yes
checking whether we are cross compiling... no
checking for suffix of executables...
checking for suffix of object files... o
checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... yes
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking dependency style of g++... gcc3
yes
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for gcc option to accept ANSI C... none needed
checking dependency style of gcc... gcc3
checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... (cached) yes
checking whether g++ accepts -g... (cached) yes
checking dependency style of g++... (cached) gcc3
checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -E
checking for an ANSI C-conforming const... yes
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... (cached) yes
checking for a sed that does not truncate output... /bin/sed
checking for egrep... grep -E
checking for ld used by gcc... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking for /usr/bin/ld option to reload object files... -r
checking for BSD-compatible nm... /usr/bin/nm -B
checking how to recognise dependent libraries... pass_all
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking dlfcn.h usability... yes
checking dlfcn.h presence... yes
checking for dlfcn.h... yes
checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... g++ -E
checking for g77... no
checking for f77... no
checking for xlf... no
checking for frt... no
checking for pgf77... no
checking for fort77... no
checking for fl32... no
checking for af77... no
checking for f90... no
checking for xlf90... no
checking for pgf90... no
checking for epcf90... no
checking for f95... f95
checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran 77 compiler... yes
checking whether f95 accepts -g... yes
checking the maximum length of command line arguments... 32768
checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -B output from gcc object... ok
checking for objdir... .libs
checking for ar... ar
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for strip... strip
checking for correct ltmain.sh version... yes
checking if gcc static flag works... yes
checking if gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions... no
checking for gcc option to produce PIC... -fPIC
checking if gcc PIC flag -fPIC works... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking whether the gcc linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking whether -lc should be explicitly linked in... no
checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
checking how to hardcode library paths into programs... immediate
checking whether stripping libraries is possible... yes
checking if libtool supports shared libraries... yes
checking whether to build shared libraries... yes
checking whether to build static libraries... yes
configure: creating libtool
appending configuration tag "CXX" to libtool
checking for ld used by g++... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking whether the g++ linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking for g++ option to produce PIC... -fPIC
checking if g++ PIC flag -fPIC works... yes
checking if g++ supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking whether the g++ linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
appending configuration tag "F77" to libtool
checking if libtool supports shared libraries... yes
checking whether to build shared libraries... yes
checking whether to build static libraries... yes
checking for f95 option to produce PIC... -fPIC
checking if f95 PIC flag -fPIC works... yes
checking if f95 supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking whether the f95 linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking for supported libc version... yes
checking for X... libraries /usr/X11R6/lib, headers /usr/X11R6/include
checking for IceConnectionNumber in -lICE... yes
checking for libXext... yes
checking for extra includes... no
checking for extra libs... no
checking for libz... -lz
checking for libpng... -lpng -lz -lm
checking for Qt... no
>> Unable to locate your Qt includes...
configure: error: Please verify your Qt devel install!
[root@localhost showeq]#

purple
11-28-2005, 05:20 PM
yum install qt-devel or something like that, maybe.

Return
11-28-2005, 05:24 PM
Well I did finally find QT in /usr/lib (missed it first time) it is Qt3.3. So I tried:

export CC=gcc3
export CXX=g++3
export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt-3.3
make -f Makefile.dist

resulting in:

[root@localhost showeq]# export CXX=g++3
[root@localhost showeq]# export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt-3.3
[root@localhost showeq]# make -f Makefile.dist
Are you really sure you want to be running this makefile?
Unless your are a developer you probably don't want
to use this file.

You probably just need to run './configure'.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
If you are REALLY sure that you want to make/remake the build
system you can do so by using the 'help' target of this
makefile to see a list of its supported targets.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
[root@localhost showeq]# ./configure
checking build system type... Invalid configuration `i686-pc-linux-': machine `i686-pc-linux' not recognized
configure: error: /bin/sh ./config.sub i686-pc-linux- failed
[root@localhost showeq]# make
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
[root@localhost showeq]# make install

I am still searching the forums for a possible solution.

Return
11-28-2005, 05:35 PM
yum install qt-devel or something like that, maybe. :) I know it is a clue......Iam searching :) Thanks

I did find the FILE SEARCH feature..YAY

purple
11-28-2005, 05:52 PM
You don't want to make -f Makefile.dist more than likely, unless you're a developer.

LIBC=gnu ./configure

Return
11-28-2005, 06:12 PM
You don't want to make -f Makefile.dist more than likely, unless you're a developer.

LIBC=gnu ./configure Thanks Purple for trying...I did the yum qt install and it seemed to download and upgrade QT to 3.3.4 plus istall the develop package.

Then I did the

LIBC=gnu ./configure

Which seemed to work because i got to the "run make" so I run make and I see warnings forever ...so i am figuring I have really hosed it :)

Return
11-28-2005, 06:23 PM
yum install qt-devel or something like that, maybe.
After I did the yum install qt-devel and answered Yes toall the prompts do i need to do anything else? It seemed to do a download and ugrade/install.

purple
11-28-2005, 06:24 PM
Warnings are warnings. Just be patient while it builds and if all goes well, you should be fine.

Return
11-28-2005, 07:25 PM
Warnings are warnings. Just be patient while it builds and if all goes well, you should be fine.

You were correct!! It is working. Thank you for your patients :)

uRit1u2CBBA=
11-28-2005, 09:20 PM
make -f Makefile.dist
I think that may have messed up the ./configure script. You don't have to run that anymore . it's meant really for the dev team to run before pushing out a release. We only have to do the ./configure step.

Try extracting the original ./configure from the tar:

tar -xvf showeq-5.2.2.0.tar showeq-5.2.2.0/configure

See if that extracts it out.

But if you're missing the qt-dev stuff, just resetting environment variables isn't going to fix it - you're missing the dev stuff. You'll have to find it on the install CD and install it. It should then properly set the variables for you.

Return
11-29-2005, 04:29 AM
I think that may have messed up the ./configure script. You don't have to run that anymore . it's meant really for the dev team to run before pushing out a release. We only have to do the ./configure step.

Try extracting the original ./configure from the tar:

tar -xvf showeq-5.2.2.0.tar showeq-5.2.2.0/configure

See if that extracts it out.

But if you're missing the qt-dev stuff, just resetting environment variables isn't going to fix it - you're missing the dev stuff. You'll have to find it on the install CD and install it. It should then properly set the variables for you.The missing dev did the trick. I had the QT but not the Qt-dev. I did the standard Workstation install (default packages) but it was not there. I did have to reburn one CD so maybe that was the problem.

Anyway, I have skettles, so I am happy. It was an ugly install but it works. Thanks everyone for the help...to this day I am amazed at what you guys have created.

uRit1u2CBBA=
11-29-2005, 07:51 AM
Glad to hear you're up and running again.

Now that you have all the other required packages installed, upgrading to new versions should be easy. Just untar the new bundle, re-run configure, make, and make install , and it'll be done.

BlueAdept
11-29-2005, 10:17 AM
Good for you. Have fun with your skittles.

sea4th
12-01-2005, 12:08 AM
I have been away for a few weeks so I missed out on this thread. For what it is worth I still run SEQ on a RH7.2 box. It can be done and all the information is in these forums. Not in a single nice thread or howto but that is part of the fun of working with SEQ. I have 3 systems running SEQ - RH 7.2, 9.0 and FC3 - and what I find is the speed of the box has the largest impact on ease of use and stability of the program. FC3 needs a fast machine while RH7.2 is okay on a 200MHz Pentium. The QT (3.3.5) controls get a bit boggy under RH7.2 as compared to the older versions - or at least that is what I am attributing the non responsive map magnifier control to. Sometimes the control gets stuck in the down position - the joys of slow computers....

Return
12-01-2005, 04:44 AM
I have been away for a few weeks so I missed out on this thread. For what it is worth I still run SEQ on a RH7.2 box. It can be done and all the information is in these forums. Not in a single nice thread or howto but that is part of the fun of working with SEQ. I have 3 systems running SEQ - RH 7.2, 9.0 and FC3 - and what I find is the speed of the box has the largest impact on ease of use and stability of the program. FC3 needs a fast machine while RH7.2 is okay on a 200MHz Pentium. The QT (3.3.5) controls get a bit boggy under RH7.2 as compared to the older versions - or at least that is what I am attributing the non responsive map magnifier control to. Sometimes the control gets stuck in the down position - the joys of slow computers....
Yep, As I have read more and it was stated early on it could be done on 7.2 , but with difficulty and a deeper understanding of the workings of Linux. And as is obvious I still lack the abilities to pull off the magic. The old pros here provided enough guidance to get me going, which is much appreciated.

Things I learned this time around are how to get a distro ( I bought RH 7.2) and burn the CDs, the new file structure of ShowEQ, what yum is, and about the built in firewall of FC4.

CeleSEQ
12-01-2005, 10:41 AM
Good to see you got it going :) Sorry that fedora.showeq.org was down, I kinda forgot that it had separate host records from the rest of my domains, so it didn't get updated when I moved the server last week.