PDA

View Full Version : cvs

cmore
11-28-2005, 09:20 PM
How is CVS related to the debian, FC, and other packages out there? I'm trying to determine how foolhardy it would be to use cvs instead of a distro, which would be my preference. I used to use cvs when I was running linux on RH 7.2.

Cryonic
11-28-2005, 10:52 PM
CVS should only be used by devs. For regular users, grab the tarball (requires devel tools be installed on your system to build the program) or the distro specific precompiled packages.

purple
11-29-2005, 06:06 AM
cvs is the basis for all development work done to seq. All work done is first put into cvs. Occasionally, when the chunk of new work in cvs is big enough or important enough, a release is spun from cvs and a new tarball is created. When this happens, the packagers will also take current cvs and make the debs and rpms and such.

Like Cryonic said, cvs is really for developers. To use cvs, you need more on your machine than what you'd need just to compile from the tarball or install packages. You have to know more steps. You probably used cvs back when you were running red hat 7.2 because cvs was the only way to get updates at that time. Nowadays, there are regular tarballs so there's no reason to use cvs, unless you want to contribute to the project.

That said, cvs still works fine. I've personally never used a tarball or package for seq ever. But for most people, the tarball or packages save them a lot of time and that is the recommended way for most people to install seq.

cmore
11-30-2005, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the explanation Purple.