PDA

View Full Version : Broken depth filter

Seaxouri
12-09-2005, 10:03 AM
I just realized that there is code in the client to read and parse the real Sony map files (*.txt). I guess before the LoY expansion, when we had no in-game map, people relied on the 'map' format, which was also used by SEQ folks. After LoY, someone wrote some code to read in the raw, Sony provided, map files, so there was no need to use the old map files. One major difference, is that the Sony vs. SEQ format values are inverted! So basically this is probably what has been messing up the depth filter, because the depth filter relies on proper Z axis values, and if you read in SEQ maps, all the numbers are negative, so you wind up filtering out the wrong part of the map. We should just remove support for reading in the old MAP file format. Noone makes them anymore anyhow, I think that mapfiend.net generates them on the fly from the Sony maps files, and their logic is flawed, because a few zones are majorly whacked.

Seaxouri
12-11-2005, 02:13 AM
So I am talking to myself in here, lol. Anyhow it seems there are some maps that are not available in LoY form, so we need to fallback to a SEQ map in some cases. I switched the priority so that we load LoY first, and if it fails we load SEQ. This seems to work nicely.

I will probably add in a smarter depth filter.. one that highlights or fades lines depending on distance to the player. I think I would also like to put in a 'darken lines' option, for those maps that, for some reason, have very light, hard to see lines.