View Full Version : OpenProcess failed

rawmouse
12-19-2005, 11:53 AM
Hi,

Just trying to get this up and running.

When I click Go on the client, the server complains with the following:

OpenProcess failed DACL, error: 5

This is repeated 10 or so times, followed by:

Failed to detect everquest process - closing socket.

I guess this is some sort of service security problem?? Do I need to be running the server and/or everquest in a different way somehow?

Thanks in advance for you help :)

Seaxouri
12-19-2005, 07:41 PM
You probably need to be running with Admin privileges.

What Windows are you using, and are you running with Admin privs or not.

Seaxouri
12-19-2005, 11:44 PM
Error 5 is "Access Denied". In order for MySEQ to work, you need to tell Windows that you want to peek inside another application's memory space. It will only let you do that if you, as a user, have sufficient privileges.

This protects rogue applications from doing evil things on a system. However, in our case, it is necessary. So, to use this tool you must have sufficient privileges. If you own the computer, just log into the Admin account and grant yourself Admin privileges and you are good to go. If this is someone else's computer and you are just a guest on it, then unless you can convince the owner to grant you admin access, you are out of luck.

Sorry.

rawmouse
12-20-2005, 06:41 AM
Hi and thanks for the response.

I am running XP Home, and only have one account ("Owner") set up on the computer I am running EQ and the server on, so this has admin rights.

I have tried connecting from a local client, and across the LAN, and get the same behaviour each time.

When I get home from work I will check the processes in task manager to see that they are both owned by "Owner" (can't imagine why they wouldn't be).

Only other thing I can think of is to uninstall .NET and reinstall.

Thanks again

Seaxouri
12-20-2005, 09:03 AM
There is an Admin account, it is just hidden.

Open Control Panel->User Accounts and look at what it says beneath 'Owner'. It should say "Computer Administrator" or "Limited".

Do not assume that just because there is only one name at the login screen that that account has Admin access.

I just verified that an account with "Limited" access exhibits your exact problem.

BlueAdept
12-20-2005, 11:14 AM
If you have xp home it does not have an admin account. They have only limited networking abilities and may not provide the needed network access to do things.

Dark
12-20-2005, 11:45 AM
I didnt think XP HOME had ANY LAN abilities, thats why MS have the pro.

rawmouse
12-20-2005, 12:50 PM
Hi again,

Just to let you know I got this working by switching the PCs running the client and server. Both have XP Home, so I still don't know what the problem is *shrug*.

The Owner account on the first PC does have "administrator" (in fact it is impossible to remove those privileges in the user maintenance screen).

Probably just something strange with the XP and/or .NET set up on the first PC.

I have 5 PCs on a LAN, all running XP Home, and have used MySEQ, both old and new versions, in the past, so the problem isn't a general one.

Anyway, thanks for your replies guys.

Seaxouri
12-22-2005, 07:21 PM
I just re-verified that XP Home does have an admin account, but, as I stated before, it is hidden.

You can see it one of two ways.
1) Start->Run and enter "control userpasswords2" to see an old fashioned user control panel
2) Start in safe mode and then log off if it auto logged you in. You will see an Admin account as an option.

XP Home has more than adequate network function to run anything. XP Home is limited from Pro in many ways, but they pertain mostly to security and access controls one might find in a multi-user environment, like a business. There is not anything 'network' wise that cannot be done in XP Home. I used XP Home for over a year with no issues, and am typing this from an XP Home system.

I will re-verify that the current server/client work, but my last system was XP Home and I used it with no issues.

The only thing I can think of is that there is some service that was shutdown that is required, although I do not know what that might be. If you have 2 systems side by side, both with XP Home, maybe you can compare the 2 and see what is different. DACL is "Dynamic Access Control List", and it is basically saying you do not have access to read another process' memory.. something that all accounts with Admin access should have. If it is rejecting access, then there is something funky with that box.. something changed from the norm that is causing the problem, although I cannot for the life of me know what that is unless I have a way to recreate it locally.

BlueAdept
12-22-2005, 11:23 PM
I just re-verified that XP Home does have an admin account, but, as I stated before, it is hidden.

You can see it one of two ways.
1) Start->Run and enter "control userpasswords2" to see an old fashioned user control panel
2) Start in safe mode and then log off if it auto logged you in. You will see an Admin account as an option.

Yes your right. From what I remember, the admin account only accessable in safe mode though.

File sharing is limited on XP Home. Sharing directories is limited too.

XP Home has more than adequate network function to run anything. XP Home is limited from Pro in many ways, but they pertain mostly to security and access controls one might find in a multi-user environment, like a business. There is not anything 'network' wise that cannot be done in XP Home. I used XP Home for over a year with no issues, and am typing this from an XP Home system.

I just wanted to point out that xp home does have limitations. I wasn't sure if it might have been the problem or not.

purple
01-10-2006, 10:17 PM
You should probably make your own thread and not just add on to a random one, too. Correct forum this time though!