PDA

View Full Version : Problem: Nothing happens in FC3/4.

Roch
12-19-2005, 10:12 PM
I followed the instructions, looking up problems when I had them, to install from source with my FC3 box. I had to update qt so ./configure would work.

The comp crashed--twice--when I was running make, but that's a hardware issue and something I'm used to. I reran it each time, then it finally worked.

make install worked too.

Type showeq . . . nothing happens. No "bash: showewq: command not found" or anything of that nature.

Just
# showeq
#

. . . nothing.

I've since tried the FC3 RPM, and still. showeq does nothing. Upgraded to FC4, tried THAT rpm. Does nothing.

Is there some easy way to uninstall and retry the whole process, or does anybody else have ideas? I'm . . . at a loss. No error messages to give you, so . . . yeah.

Roch
12-19-2005, 11:01 PM
Never mind--I played with it. I went to /usr/bin/local/ and did

# rm showeq

and

# rm showeqitemdbtool

And it worked. Not sure why . . .but it worked.

Now to get it working all the way. *boggles*

Edit: Upon further investigation, turns out I'm using a switch. Oh well. As I don't feel like buying new hardware, I'll chalk it up to a learning linux experience.

Thanks for the forums, it's fun for that sort of thing. :)

CeleSEQ
12-20-2005, 02:28 AM
Love it when you guys find your own solutions before I get back to the boards :) The issue you had with the /usr/local/bin/showeq is the most common problem people have when they try the RPMs the first time. Your path variable (echo $PATH) determines where your system looks to find programs to run. It starts with the first one, and proceeds through the directories listed, loooking for an executable filename that matches the command you typed. You'll note that /usr/local/bin comes before /usr/bin in the default FC3 or FC4 path. This makes sense, because the idea is that if you have a custom version of some application for your system, you'll put it in /usr/local, whereas RPMs should install pre-compiled applications in /usr

I follow that convention when I make the RPM, and the makefiles for compiling on your own correctly assume you want to install in /usr/local since you're rolling your own. However, if you move from rolling your own to the RPM, unless you remove the files in /usr/local/bin, it will always try your old ones because they come first in your path.

As noted in the other thread, there are some things you can try to make SEQ work with a switch, I haven't tried them so your mileage may vary.

Roch
12-20-2005, 04:20 AM
Good news. I tried the whole "making it work with a switch" thing and it helped.

Yay for ettercap.

. . . now, I need sleep. But, it's exciting that it works. :)

Thanks for believing in me. *cough cough*