PDA

View Full Version : missing files

gsosure
01-11-2006, 11:27 PM
I'm having a few troubles installing showeq on Redhat FC4. I did a complete install of FC4. so i thought i'd have all the files i'd need, but when i run the showeq installed for FC4 it says i'm missing libstdc++. I've been tring to find this file online, but I'm having no luck. any ideas? I got the install from fedora.showeq.org and i was reading a post from another user saything they ran yum update and that fixed the issue... Yeah i'm a linux uber newb what the "yum update"??

spack
01-12-2006, 10:51 AM
Well, assuming you said to install all of the development libraries and such when installing FC4 (like I did), then try this from terminal:

> su
> ******** (root password)
> yum install qt-devel.i386

see if that helps...

Disclaimer: I am a Linux N00btard but this worked for me, YMMV.

gsosure
01-12-2006, 12:34 PM
yup all i had to do was run yum update in the terminal and boom it was all there.. thanks

gsosure
01-12-2006, 05:21 PM
ok now i'm having another issue lol, i got the files installed and i installed the showeqfc4 file and maps, but how do i get showeq to open...sorry i'm sure this is a newb question but i couldn't find any help with the rpm install....thanks

spack
01-12-2006, 06:13 PM
Assuming you aren't running as root user...
> su
> <rootpassword>
> showeq

elf
01-12-2006, 06:53 PM
better option might be:
su
<password>
chmod +s /usr/local/bin/showeq
exit

and then run showeq as a normal user. You have to redo that every time you make install, but it's worth it to not be running a terminal as root all the time.

CeleSEQ
01-16-2006, 11:12 AM
By setting the showeq executable to be suid root as elf suggests, you will indeed be able to run showeq as a non-root user. However, it is important to note that setting executables suid is a risky business. If the application has any bug or feature that lets you crash or terminate the suid app, then it allows a non-root user to get a root shell very easily. Exploiting suid apps is one of the more popular privilege escalation attacks.

For those who don't deal with such things regularly: if someone attacks your system (happens every day), and were to break in with the user "apache" for example, or some other unprivileged account, they can only do moderate damage as that user. However, they will be looking for a way to escalate their privileges to root, which is often much easier when you have a less privileged shell. If you had showeq suid , it would be a potential avenue to get root.

I wouldn't say "you must not do this", but I would want people to realize that doing "chmod +s showeq" does create a risk for the system.

~CeleSEQ

(oh, and since you're using my rpms, the showeq executable is in /usr/bin, not /usr/local/bin)

elf
01-16-2006, 11:57 AM
I should have picked a different word then 'better' I suppose. I run ShowEQ on a single user machine, that doesn't have many services installed and running. Having a shell with root privilege open gives anything that you might be running an opening to exploit. And is an opening to me mistypeing 'showeq' as 'rm -rf /*'