PDA

View Full Version : Wireless question...

Mornie
01-29-2006, 05:44 AM
Greetings..

Been using seq for abit in a fixed network, but I recently moved for studies and put up a wireless since the dsl modem got placed fairly far from my computers.

Been reading the help forums abit, specially the parts on switch usage with seq. Im having some difficutlies though.

My current setup is as follows:

dsl modem
|
wireless switch
|
|-------------------------|
Everquest pc Laptop with VMWARE debian/seq

Wireless uses wep encryption...
VMWare uses bridged nettworking and has its own ip..

I first tried using the VMWare isntance as a router, but something isnt working right. the VMware instance can ping the world, but my eq pc only gets as far as the wireless switch.

Trying the arp poisoning seemed to cut of my eq pc's world access as well..

Any info or suggestions on this? Im fairly decent on networking but lacking in the wireless area.

Any info and/or help appriciated.

Cryonic
01-30-2006, 09:18 PM
Most wireless devices have issues when trying to put them into promiscuous mode. I know of only a few chipsets that support it and none are of the A or G variety. It sounds like you might be better off trying to run EQ under Wine and seeing if you can get SEQ to grab the packets without going into promiscuous mode.

Mornie
01-31-2006, 11:18 AM
This is firstly related to routing though...

No one has a clue or hint why, while using my laptop as router, I can ping my wirless router fine but not through it? (laptop can but not windows pc)