PDA

View Full Version : [HOWTO] ShowEQ with a switch 2

eqmule
03-16-2006, 11:02 AM
ok, the background first,
I wanted to have a true gigabit lan at my house, so buying a 100mbit hub was out of the question, and I did try to find a gigabit one, but its difficult if not impossible, and since the drawback with a hub is possible packet collisions, that would be a bad option anyway.

Now, I know you can route all trafic from the eq machine through the linux box, as a workaround, but I dont like that idea either, so I came up with a different solution to this, which involves no changes back and forth everytime I wanna play eq.

If you are poor, stop reading now, cause my solution is not as cheap as setting up and routing through linux, but if you want a REALLY good solution, here goes:

1. Buy a D-Link DGS-1216T Switch. (or equvalent, but thats the one I got, and it works)

2. Configure the switch to use port mirroring with for example port 13 as source and 14 as destination.

3. Plug in your eq machine in port 13 and the linuxbox in 14.

You are done...

The "secret" to this working, is the feature called "Port Mirroring"
and ANY switch with this feature, will make showeq work like a charm.

I bought mine for about 250 usd.
If you need a switch anyway, Im sure most people do, then why not spend an extra few bucks on one that is manageble?

It has alot of other features as well, that I wont use, but its automatic enough to take care of buisness in my homenetwork, which is what matters, setup was 1 minute, I had eq running when I replaced my old 8 port netgear gs108, with this monster, and I didnt even get disconnected!

So, if you are like me, you want a good gigabit switch, AND you want showeq to be able to sniff packets, get a port mirroring one, and you are all set. :cool:

eqmule
03-16-2006, 11:09 AM
oh and in case someone wonders, the linuxbox, works just as it should, you can surf the net and do anything network related with it, its just like when you have it plugged into a hub.

And the webinterface is on 192.168.0.1 by defualt, but you can change it, if you, like me, have another router as well on that ip, I choose 192.168.0.2 and it works fine.

There are no stupid commandlines or anything, its all configurable in the web interface, very simple, the menu is called "Mirror" and it just has 3 fields, Sniffer Mode -> Both
Sniffer Port -> 14
Source Port ->13

KaL
03-17-2006, 09:16 AM
I'm using a Netgear GS108. It's a gigabit switch, unmanaged. I use Ettercap from my Linux box and it works 100%, purely software solution. Costs around $100.

I just don't like D-Link stuff. I bought a D-Link gigabit switch first before I got the Netgear, and it overheated quickly and rebooted spontaneously, so I returned it. I've had a D-Link wifi AP and router before, and they didn't perform well either, requiring frequent reboots. Netgear and Linksys stuff has always been very reliable for me.

eqmule
03-17-2006, 11:23 AM
D-Links home segment sucks, I agree.
Still I like them, cause their userinterfaces are just great and simple.
First D-Link I had was a DI-614, it random rebooted, dropped the connection etc...
Replaced it with another one, same thing...
Replaced that one with a third, same thing...

Then I upgraded to a DI624+, it still works, but I didnt use it as hard as the other 3, so probably it would have started to display the same symptoms in the end.

When D-Link released the GamersLounge, I had to get one for the gigabit capability, bought one, and it still works. have never had to reboot it, or lost connection with it, but I dont run a wlan anymore so... that might be it.

BUT, the difference from all thoose is that the D-Link DGS-1216T is a switch for the buisness segment and I think it would be unfair to compare the 2 segments to each other. I have only used it for 2 days now, so I cant say if it it will "reboot" , drop connection, or the fan will die, or/and so on... but right now, it performs flawlessly.

Now, I like to point out though, that I wouldnt buy this for my company, Id choose cisco then, but its perfect for my home, D-Links Buisness Segment, has the quality a home user needs but I guess they dont see it like that lol

coffeencream
05-19-2009, 12:53 PM
Can more than one EQ box be port forwarded and have have two instances of SEQ running?

Basically, will a port be forwardeded, keep it's initial IP designation... if so, then that answers my question (it will run just as if you are using a hub)

Tor K'tal
05-20-2009, 09:22 PM
Can more than one EQ box be port forwarded and have have two instances of SEQ running?

Basically, will a port be forwardeded, keep it's initial IP designation... if so, then that answers my question (it will run just as if you are using a hub)

I don't understand the question

If you have port mirroring or port monitoring featurs in your switch then you could opt to just mirror/monitor the port that leads to the internet and point it to your SEQ box, then it doesn't matter about how many EQ machines you have on the switch you can monitor any of them.

Number of SEQ instances is primarily limited by the power of the linux machine you use.

seqfan
05-24-2009, 09:52 PM
Linksys SLM2005 does port mirroring and is less that $100US.