kernel/qt_x11_p.h:71:23: X11/Xatom.h: No such file or directory
kernel/qt_x11_p.h:79:34: X11/extensions/shape.h: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [.obj/release-shared/qtaddons_x11.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/qt/src'
make[1]: *** [sub-src] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/qt'
make: *** [init] Error 2
[root@localhost qt]#
I keep trying to install QT step by step from the instructions given in the file QT 3.2.1 :( but I can't seem to get it to work... I keep getting that error no clue what im doing wrong please someone help :(

purple
03-18-2006, 05:38 AM
I'd imagine you don't have X development libraries installed which qt requires.

Voyage
03-18-2006, 11:13 AM
I can't seem to find where to download that... any one able to point me in the right direction?

purple
03-18-2006, 02:35 PM
I've used a distribution that supports managed installation for so long that I have absolutely no idea where someone would go to download things any longer. Maybe just google for xorg or something.

Cryonic
03-18-2006, 04:18 PM
fedora uses a tool similar to apt called yum...

man yum

avejidah
03-19-2006, 10:54 AM
You're having this problem now, and it's taking you hours to fix. But this is not going to be your only problem. Somewhere down the line you're going to want to install something else, and it's going to require some dependancies that you don't have, and once again you're going to spend hours working on it. I install debian sarge in 14minutes. Hence, in 14minutes you could install Debian(it's 28MB last I checked), apt-get install X, apt-get install QT, then download showeq ./configure && make && make install. What the problem is man, is your distro. Don't use crap use a good distro. Debian is the best distro out because of it's package management(apt). You are wasting your time with that garbage bro =) I used redhat 9 enterprise for _ever_ because my stupid work wouldn't let me change it. Because they paid so much money for it(they paid money for it, you understand that? Pay money for a half-ass distro that doesn't do crap. Linux is supposed to be free.) If you pay money for linux you're getting robbed(I'm not talking donations here). Redhat's yum and up2date do not have crap in their repositories. Try up2date -i nemesis. You'll get nothing. Try up2date -i ethereal, you'll get version 9(older than Moses). Try yum -i xorg. Package not found. Try yum -i qt. Already newest version at version 2.X. Last I checked openSSH wasn't even updated to version 4 yet in redhat's repositories, and there is a nasty buffer overflow circulating the net for pre4 openSSH server. Try and uninstall something with yum or up2date, and then go to the directory of the program... Notice it leaves tons of crap behind? Well that may be ok with you, but apt actually removes all the files so I dont have to manually go rm stuff. When a programmer writes a program for linux, most of the time they write it for a better distro than redhat(redhat/fedora are not linux! They are their own seperate kernel which is based on linux.). Do some googling about redhat and what the linux community thinks about it.

avejidah

avejidah

tanner
03-19-2006, 12:42 PM
. Hence, in 14minutes you could install Debian(it's 28MB last I checked), apt-get install X, apt-get install QT, then download showeq ./configure && make && make install.

Look at my .sig, alter sources.lists and then

$ sudo apt-get install showeq

You'll get everything you need to get showeq running.

avejidah
03-19-2006, 01:22 PM
See there, tanner's made it so easy! I haven't used your .deb yet because I use a script I wrote to wget the tarball and build it for me. But next time I'll just apt-get. Wewt, u da man, tan!

avejidah

Cryonic
03-19-2006, 06:34 PM
and CeleSEQ makes the RPMs for FC3/4

CeleSEQ
03-20-2006, 11:44 AM
You're having this problem now, and it's taking you hours to fix. But this is not going to be your only problem. Somewhere down the line you're going to want to install something else, and it's going to require some dependancies that you don't have, and once again you're going to spend hours working on it. I install debian sarge in 14minutes. Hence, in 14minutes you could install Debian(it's 28MB last I checked), apt-get install X, apt-get install QT, then download showeq ./configure && make && make install. What the problem is man, is your distro. Don't use crap use a good distro. Debian is the best distro out because of it's package management(apt). You are wasting your time with that garbage bro =) I used redhat 9 enterprise for _ever_ because my stupid work wouldn't let me change it. Because they paid so much money for it(they paid money for it, you understand that? Pay money for a half-ass distro that doesn't do crap. Linux is supposed to be free.) If you pay money for linux you're getting robbed(I'm not talking donations here). Redhat's yum and up2date do not have crap in their repositories. Try up2date -i nemesis. You'll get nothing. Try up2date -i ethereal, you'll get version 9(older than Moses). Try yum -i xorg. Package not found. Try yum -i qt. Already newest version at version 2.X. Last I checked openSSH wasn't even updated to version 4 yet in redhat's repositories, and there is a nasty buffer overflow circulating the net for pre4 openSSH server. Try and uninstall something with yum or up2date, and then go to the directory of the program... Notice it leaves tons of crap behind? Well that may be ok with you, but apt actually removes all the files so I dont have to manually go rm stuff. When a programmer writes a program for linux, most of the time they write it for a better distro than redhat(redhat/fedora are not linux! They are their own seperate kernel which is based on linux.). Do some googling about redhat and what the linux community thinks about it. Whee, the troll zealots come out again. The correct answer is that you should use the correct tool for the job, know your tools, and of course, use what you like.

You apparently don't understand how RedHat does version numbering for updates. Security updates for supported releases are backported. In a large enterprise, you can't just go changing versions all the time, every single change has to be tested and verified for compatibility against dozens of interlocking components.

Please back up your FUD about the SSH server. You find me a remote exploit that will work against openssh-server-3.9p1-8.RHEL4.9 (current RHEL4), openssh-server-4.2p1.fc4.10 (curent Fedora), or heck, even openssh-server-3.9p1-8.0.4.legacy (current for the now-unsupported FC3 distro as distributed by the Fedora Legacy Project) in the next 24 hours or I call complete bullshit. I maintain hundreds of RedHat systems, and if there were a remote ssh exploit, I guarantee that I would be seeing it.

All that said, I have a number of issues with people running Fedora and not keeping up to date. Fedora Core 3 is unsupported by the Fedora Project now. If you're running FC3, you better have gone to www.fedoralegacy.org (http://www.fedoralegacy.org) and followed the instructions in their documentation section or you won't be getting updates anymore. FC5 was released today. FC4 will be unsupported a few months after FC5 release, and support will be moved to the legacy project. People running RH9, you're running the equivalent of Windows 95 (5 major releases ago!), and it will be more work than you expect to make it work. If you're running a pre-9 RedHat, it's going to be painful.

Anyway Avejidah, chill with the religious distro fervor, the original poster didn't even mention what distro he's running.

SchwannyT
03-21-2006, 05:36 PM
Umm..... if you really are running Redhat (I didn't see any confirmation of that) all you need to do is have internet access and type as root:
yum install qt qt-devel

And your done. It'll download and install the latest version and any other dependant packages you may need.