PDA

View Full Version : Community Hosting Banner

jaqq
04-14-2006, 07:09 PM
Hi guys
I noticed the banner at the top of the site that offers a discount for hosting at Community Hosting (http://www.communityhosting.net/).

I checked out their plans and this seems like a really good deal, as I am currently shopping for a new place to house some sites.

Does anyone have freedback on them with downtime / performance / speed?

Does anyone know if they firewall outbound connections from their servers. I run a php based ventrilo status script on my site that displays who is on my ventrilo server via a web page. This script has to connect to my ventrilo host, so curous about this.

Also, if anyone knows what control panel they use, would appreciate that as well.

Main reason I want to leave my current provider is they are constantly having connectivity issues, as well as server loads well over 18.00 on a box with 2 cpu's. So you can imagine how well PHP is running on that.

Thanks in advance.

Jaq

BlueAdept
04-14-2006, 09:11 PM
Dont know about Community Hosting. They do have a similar package to the one I used to use for my blueadept.net site. www.yrhost.com. Mine was $10 a year and the uptime seemed good.

purple
04-15-2006, 04:19 AM
I always assume that this site is hosted there, and this place goes down a lot more than I'd prefer my hosting to go down.

tanner
04-15-2006, 12:37 PM
Cheap sales plug....

I'll throw my info into this mix. You can get UML hosted or Xen hosted linux systems as follows:

RAM Disk Up/Dn Cost
Light: 64M + 3G + 1M/1M = $15
Medium: 128M + 6G + 1M/1M = $29
Large: 256M + 10G + 1M/1M = $60

We support debian, fedora core, and redhat (if you want something else we will work with you to get it deployed).

Your virtual linux box is yours to do what you want as long as it's legal in the US :-), you get root, etc.

As far as uptime, reliability, here is the uptime of my UML session:

13:34:09 up 627 days, 23:36, 1 user, load average: 0.06, 0.29, 0.24

We also host 13th-floor.org (colocated) but you can speak to them about reliability.

Ratt
04-15-2006, 05:30 PM
The bandwidth provider that Community Hosting was using was sold to another company earlier this year.

There were a few problems with the transfer and change of IPs, and then subsequent change of subnets and tier providers.

Seems everything has been worked out now. The bandwidth is provided by Level 3 and Global Crossing. Server usage is low (Hovers around .4 - 1 on a quad CPU top during peak times).

Ping times are really low from the places I've tested, usually between 20 and 40ms, since the move to the new subnet and bandwidth provider.

There's no firewalls in terms of outbound connections.

The control panel is Plesk 8.0.0.

I had tried hosting showeq.net on YRHost before. They are, by far, the worst host I've ever tried to deal with. Downtime was constant, their server usage was through the roof and they cut off any site that uses up any even minor amount of CPU. It's physically impossible to us the amount of bandwidth they offer, since using that even through FTP would put you over your CPU usage and they will deactivate your site.

I wouldn't even reccomend YRHost to people I hate.

jaqq
04-17-2006, 05:11 PM
Ratt:

Do you know if they allow remote connction to mysql DB's?

Being will I be able to back up my DB's to my local linux box with mysqldump.

Thanks.

Ratt
04-17-2006, 05:46 PM
I believe so ... if not by default, fill out a help ticket for special requests and it would be no problem.