PDA

View Full Version : question

678casey
05-02-2006, 01:05 PM
been looking into installing SEQ. I have installed Linux Yoper on my laptop and got stuck with SEQ install. So, I decided to use the internet to see if I could answer my own questions.

Well, I haven't yet. I did run across a few pages that said SEQ was dead because of something sony did and MySEQ and the like were all that could be used at this point.
So, my questions?

1. SEQ or Myseq? Which is safer? I would like to get away from Microsoft..., if SEQ still works

2. I have found instructions for debian and ubuntu and krename. They are all different? What do you use for Yoper?

sorry, completely new to Linux.
flame away...

purple
05-02-2006, 05:22 PM
MySEQ = windows program. SEQ = ShowEQ = Linux program. Safer is relative I guess. If you're worried, don't use either. That said, ShowEQ is probably "safer" because all it does is voyeuristically snoop between the EQ client and world and zone servers. But it's still plenty possible that the information it gives causes you to do things that would obviously finger you. If you're worried about being safe, it might not be worth the hassle.

SEQ is updated to just barely enough to keep working, but there is no active feature development. But for the most part, it works fine for what I use it for at least and there's only occasional complaining on the boards about things being broken.

I don't know what Yoper is. But everything should support compiling and installing from the tarball.

elf
05-03-2006, 06:51 AM
You will be the weak spot that gives away that you are using ShowEQ. From experience, I started off being very careful about using it. Now, I'll behave like a ranger, making a near bee-line for a mob I want if I think it is being chased by someone else. Having track gives you something to blame this behavior on, but not everyone does. The up side is, you can figure out what other people are using it as well. The cleric you see zone in, that runs across the zone directly to the recently spawned name in what had been an empty zone.

So, SEQ is safe to use, but the user isn't safe, make sense? Alright, on to Yoper. Yoper uses apt-get, if I read right. Skip it, use the tarball (tar.gz) anyways. I saw on the Yoper forums a set of howto's, teaching how to use source tarballs to install a program. Read those, down load the SEQ files, and try it. When you have a problem with an error in the SEQ code, after running configure or make, post that error here. Chances are, Yoper didn't come with pcap or Qt or something else already installed, but the error message will say more about that. Post that, and someone should be able to decipher it and tell you how to fix it.

678casey
05-03-2006, 08:49 AM
thanks. will try all you suggested. I know the difference between myseq and seq - I just read something (and didn't read the date, lol) that said that SOny had had a patch that made seq un-usable unless it was on the machine running EQ.
Prolly old news and something that has since been gotten around - like I said, until after I closed the window, I didn't think to look for a date.