PDA

View Full Version : New here with questions

danx
05-24-2006, 04:21 PM
I'm still setting up my linux box and it seems to be going smooth. My question is, I have a linksys router that a few computers here are hooked up to. Can I hook a hub directly to the router, then my computer and the linux box to the hub?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I continue setting this up.

Danx

danx
05-24-2006, 05:15 PM
Installed showeq with no problems. But can't get into kde, it loads up but I have no mouse or keyboard. Keyboard works fine on the command line, but once I get into kde everything is frozen. Grrr.

Back to google for help.

Danx

danx
05-24-2006, 05:50 PM
Okay, fixed my issues with the keyboard and mouse. Got logged into kde and booted up showeq. Seems to be working. Well working as far as the program loads up with no problems. Going to stick the hub on and see if it works.

Danx

CeleSEQ
05-25-2006, 10:15 AM
As long as your hub is really a hub, the setup you describe should work just fine. You *might* need a crossover cable for the hub->router connection, or to connect it to an "uplink" port on the hub, but that shouldn't be hard to figure out.

danx
05-25-2006, 12:31 PM
That's what I did, hooked the router to the uplink port on the hub and everything works fine. Other computers on my network are still hooked to the router, but my pc and the linux box are on the hub.

Hmm, the whole setup went smooth and easy. Very little problems. And works great. The hub I am using is a smartlink 5 port hub hooked to a linksys router/switch. I almost threw out the old hub a while back and decided to store it away just in case I ever found a use for it. Glad I did. I actually found 2 of them stored away.

Now the big question, how do I take advantage of my new ability to see beyond what's right in front of me. Where should I go to exploit my new sixth sense?...

Danx