PDA

View Full Version : XP ICS, Dial-Up, Linux, and showeq HELP!

lysogen
02-20-2002, 08:20 PM
Ok guys, here's my current situation.. Maybe someone can help. i have a win xp box runing EQ with a 56k dialup. I have a mandrake 8.0 box. THe linux box is hooked to a hub, then from the hub to my xp box. I use the xp box ICS (the dial up) and my linux box can reach the internet. Will showeq work? What i am asking-- Will my xp ICS dialup gateway with liiiiiinux attached to a hub showeq work? Before I get flamed...I realize I should just buy a dialup modem for my linux box, but i'm cheap and all the extra modems are winmodems(hehee). I can't get broadband where i live. Any suggestions?

high_jeeves
02-20-2002, 10:07 PM
As anwered many other places, no. Why would your XP box route packets directed to it to you other box just for kicks? You need to set the dial up on the linux box and route through it.

--Jeeves

high_jeeves
02-20-2002, 10:08 PM
winseq posted this app that might help, use at your own risk:

http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=539&highlight=dialup

--Jeeves

high_jeeves
02-20-2002, 10:10 PM
As a side note, all of this information can be gathered by using the goofy little button with the following symbols on it "s e a r c h". It can be found above. In not sure what this "s e a r c h" thing is that it refers to, but you might find it useful.

lysogen
02-21-2002, 06:32 AM
Where is the secret "s e a r c h" button? I cant seem to find it anywhere... :(

lysogen
02-21-2002, 07:00 AM
Bah.. why can't i set up my xp box as a gateway and have it route all ppp packets to my hub? I realize the xp box won't just do it on its own for shits and giggles.. but I'm sure there is a way to do it. ahhh f* it, downloading ip works components now.. i'll write my own broadcast code..

lysogen
02-21-2002, 07:02 AM
NT RAS?

S_B_R
02-21-2002, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by lysogen
Where is the secret "s e a r c h" button? I cant seem to find it anywhere... :(

I so hope you are just being sarcastic on this one.... :rolleyes:

lysogen
02-21-2002, 04:16 PM
Lol ....Yes!

shadowcat
02-22-2002, 07:29 AM
Prior to my cable modem connection, I was using 3 PCs on a Netgear hub with one of the PCs using ICS over a 56K dialup.

Pretty simple setup. I had the modem in my secondary machine and assigned an IP to the nic in that machine. From that point, I set up the primary machine and the Linux machine to gateway through that IP.

It was very easy and very slow. I was able to play EQ on both PCs and have a seq session running on the Linux box.

ICS should work for you. Just gateway through that dialup PC and make sure you are on a hub not a switch.

high_jeeves
02-22-2002, 08:51 AM
ICS will work fine, as long as the dialing box is not the EQ box. The easiest solution here is to set the linux box up and the dialup box.

--Jeeves

shadowcat
02-22-2002, 11:59 AM
Agreed.

I had my secondary PC be my dialup connection although I never had any problems monitoring that PC with seq when I specified the IP to monitor.