PDA

View Full Version : Simultaneously controlling multiple boxes with one KB and mouse

Wr6TAG7ju1I=
06-02-2006, 11:55 PM
I am having a difficult time trying to obtain information on how I can go about controlling four seperate CPUs from one keyboard and mouse simultaneously. I have experimented with KVM switches, but these switches typically only let you toggle from one machine to the next. I'm interested in controlling all of the CPU's from one keyboard. For example, if I load the same spell up for four wizards and then want all four wizards to fire at the target simultaneously, how, from a mechanical set-up, can it be done?.

I have looked at a program called Synergy, but I am still looking for some sort of daisy-chained arrangement that would allow me to plug into the PS/2 ports using only one keyboard to control all my machines.

Sorry, if this is not the "right" place to go for this information. Just looking for any leads or suggestions. Thanks.

KaL
06-03-2006, 12:11 PM
Sounds like your best bet would be some kind of triggering system set up on each system to wait for the right conditions (ie, you say "fire!" or whatever).

You could use AutoIt to do some primitive macroing, or there are other EQ-specific tools out there if you Google it right. I'm not sure if discussion of such tools is kosher here, since they involve active manipulation of memory on the EQ client.

Wr6TAG7ju1I=
06-04-2006, 09:58 AM
I was thinking of something more straitforward and mechanical. I know that there are PS/2 cable splitters, but is there a cable that is split out four ways?

tanner
06-04-2006, 10:00 AM
VNC, I prefer ultravnc.

http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/

(I assume your master station is windows above)

If you master station is linux, look a x2vnc.

Wr6TAG7ju1I=
06-04-2006, 10:05 AM
Thanks for your reply, Tanner. But part of my problem is that I want to be able to have the other boxes fire the same spell simultaneously with my main character. I am trying to run four wizards. So, if I push gem number 1, loaded with Ice Comet, will the other three boxes also push gem number 1 simultaneously?

Wr6TAG7ju1I=
06-05-2006, 11:30 PM
Another possibility I have thought about is using an USB hub. I was hoping to link all four boxs with a USB 2.0 hub and use one set of input devices (USB KB and mouse) as the uplink to the hub.

Anyone ever tried this set-up?

Ratt
06-05-2006, 11:53 PM
The USB hub idea won't work.. you're better off splitting a PS2 cable.

There's a program for Linux (UNIX) called cssh (I think) that does what you're talking about ... but I don't know of any similar program(s) for Windows that do that.

It would be easy to make a cable like this, just go to Rat Shack and buy 4 PS2 ends, splice the wires together, and then wire the spliced wires into a keyboard... shouldn't take but about 30 minutes.

I'm not sure what sort of electrical ramifications might ensue, though... as you'd be getting 4x the power to the keyboard than it's expecting, which is generally bad. So you might want to isolate the power line and only connect it to one of the 4 ends.

There are probably other electrical things to consider... but I've never tried to do what you're saying, so I've not really looked into it.

modsiw
06-12-2006, 03:16 AM
If you're a programmer:

It should be simple enough to develope a set of apps with .NET to listen for keystrokes, transmit them to other machines, and reproduce the keystroke there.

purple
06-12-2006, 07:06 AM
This thread is annoying. I'll just say what the people who know how to do what you're talking about are all thinking, whether it's ok or not...

If you're comfortable running third party programs on your eq clients, the "right" way to do this is with mq2, eqbcs or mq2irc, and a little bit of elbow grease. This isn't the right place for asking about any of those things. If you end up using mq2, I'd recommend you donate to their devs, as mq2 is an amazing piece of work.

Wr6TAG7ju1I=
06-13-2006, 06:30 PM
Thank you, Purple, for your response.

The fact of the matter is that I am not "comfortable" running MQ2 on my EQ client, and thus, I am looking for a "mechanical" way to control four boxes.

If I wanted to d/l "wizard.bot.helper" or something similar, there are numerous scripts at MQ2 available to do that. But that's not what I'm after.

Sorry to annoy you. :confused:

l0s3r
11-01-2007, 09:54 AM
http://www.dual-boxing.com/forums2/viewtopic.php?p=2064&sid=ffb3091f178f1047dda25d6102b20853

You want a keyboard/mouse multicaster. If its worth the costs, thats up to you.. But it will do exactly what you were looking for.

l0s3r
11-01-2007, 09:55 AM
wow just realized that this thread is a year and a half old...

trustno1
11-09-2007, 11:32 AM
Even though the thread is old, the information in it is timeless. I'm sure the original poster has solved his problem, but there might have been others that haven't.

Thank you for your information and link.

ieatacid
11-09-2007, 03:08 PM
I know it was mentioned in the first post, but I use Synergy (synergy2.sourceforge.net) to control two windows and one linux box. It works wonderfully, and configuring it to auto start on my linux box was as easy as editing a few files. I don't even have a keyboard or mouse plugged into that computer anymore.

anon0669
11-29-2007, 02:08 PM
I am having a difficult time trying to obtain information on how I can go about controlling four seperate CPUs from one keyboard and mouse simultaneously. I have experimented with KVM switches, but these switches typically only let you toggle from one machine to the next. I'm interested in controlling all of the CPU's from one keyboard. For example, if I load the same spell up for four wizards and then want all four wizards to fire at the target simultaneously, how, from a mechanical set-up, can it be done?.

I have looked at a program called Synergy, but I am still looking for some sort of daisy-chained arrangement that would allow me to plug into the PS/2 ports using only one keyboard to control all my machines.

Sorry, if this is not the "right" place to go for this information. Just looking for any leads or suggestions. Thanks.
http://p205.ezboard.com/fsullonzeknojihadv2frm11.showMessage?topicID=13135 .topic

twizzlerz
12-02-2007, 01:25 PM
I box 6-7 computers and my wife boxes 3. We have yet to find a satisfactory way to use any program to do what you're trying to do. I have 3 Saitek keyboards (and use the 10-key) and 4 Nostromos to control my toons. I have a four-monitor tower from Cyberguys.com... they have hardware like you may be needing as well.

Here's a start for you: http://www.dual-boxing.com/forums2/index.php

Also, search where Sam Deathwalker is posting. He DOES control his boxes like you are wanting - he has posted how he does it. There IS a mechanical way and there IS a software application way.

But you really need to think about the usefulness of one-keying it. I box a pally, chanter, druid, necro, mage, wiz, and cleric most of the time when my wife isn't playing. How would you one key it? Also, if you got agro on one of your one-keyed toons, what would you do? Evac? That's not very practical and a huge waste of time. I actually REQUIRE my toons not tied to one keyboard in order to play. The dynamics of the game require it. Fizzles, self and group buffs, cures, crowd control, forages, following my main/tank, AA keys, /discs, pet commands, debuffs, snares, etc.

I realize there are ten hotkeys but I have 2-3 banks open all the time with specialized commands so I can function my group.

I do have to push a lot of buttons it's far more functional than expecting one button to do all the work. All the people who talk about multiboxing are looking for shortcuts and only talk about the dynamics of 4-12 toons dropping a nuke. There's more to killing a mob than managing 4 nukes unless you're talking about newbie zones.

My theory has always been: if you can't manually take immediate control of any of your toons in reaction to a situation, you shouldn't be boxing or you're boxing too many.

twizzlerz
12-02-2007, 01:28 PM
wow just realized that this thread is a year and a half old...hehe.oops.