PDA

View Full Version : Running 5.4 on RH 8.0

Wr6TAG7ju1I=
06-03-2006, 07:03 AM
My last build for showEQ was somewhere around 4.x.x.

Can ver 5.4 be run from a Cyrix box utilizing RH 8.0? Are there any new dependencies I would need to augment RH 8.0? Thank you.

uRit1u2CBBA=
06-03-2006, 07:14 AM
I think a newer version of QT is required. Other than that, I don't think any other dependancies have changed. gcc3 is still preferred over gcc4 I think (at least, that's what I use).

CeleSEQ
06-05-2006, 02:23 PM
Although it's possible to get everything built and updated on old systems like RH8, in the time that it's going to take you to recompile a new qt and anything else that might pop up, you could torrent a new distro and be done with it.

RH8 is really really old, and it was widely considered to be a bad release. Even the Fedora Legacy Project doesn't maintain RH8 support, only 7.3 and 9. If you do decide to go with a new release, I'd recommend a Centos 4 or a Debian/Ubuntu release... the Fedora Core releases are the direct descendants of RH8, but if you're running FC, you need to be able to commit to a new installation every year or so max.

EDIT: Just noticed the Cyrix part... that's pretty low end for some of the new distros I guess... it's your call in the end, just throwing in my 2c.

dewey2641
06-06-2006, 07:37 PM
i'm running RH 7.3 on a 300 mhz pos with about 256 ram. Its slow to compile anything, but when done works ok.

You will definately need to upgrade packages but I don't remember what all I had to do when I built the system about 3 yrs ago :)