PDA

View Full Version : Live CD Linux

wololo
06-05-2006, 11:25 AM
Hey i was wondering if i am able to run ShowEQ on a comp that is running Linux from a Live CD (meaning im using a windows OS but i am operating with linux (dont want to get a hard drive just for linux))

If it is possible, can anyone point me in the direction of one that is usable, and if not, what (if any) programs would the live cd version of linux be required to have in order to run showeq.

Thank you in advance.

CeleSEQ
06-05-2006, 02:11 PM
This thread discusses this in some detail, and the basics of the situation haven't changed since then:

http://www.showeq.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5413

It would be easy to do, and a pain to update and distribute. As for dependencies, you need:

libpcap
qt 3.3.x
gdbm

and a precompiled binary of the latest showeq that will work on your livecd.

wololo
06-05-2006, 02:19 PM
ok so to my understanding, i would need to put the updated version of showeq onto the cd that im using for the live cd of linux? or would i be able to access it on the hard drive of the computer that im running the live cd on..

Thank you in advance, dont mean to inconvience anyone =)

CeleSEQ
06-05-2006, 02:34 PM
You would need somewhere to write the files... if your livecd mounts a portion of the hard drive, that could work, or you could put seq on a ramdisk (if you're willing to re-install each time you reboot), or you could build a custom livecd with seq binaries installed. The exact location of the seq files is not very important, they just need to be somewhere you can access.

wololo
06-05-2006, 10:47 PM
alright, i havent looked into which linux version im goin to go to for the live cd, any suggestions on the better distributers?

wololo
06-07-2006, 12:39 PM
Ok so i DL'd Centos 5 Live CD and i am running it as i am typing to you, I DL'd showeq and i can not seem to understand how to run it, the "install.newbies" file doesnt really help me seeming as it is telling me to download Fedora Core 2. I believe i have every application that i need to run showeq, but i do not know how to actually go about doing it.. any help?

BlueAdept
06-08-2006, 08:51 AM
You will need to compile the program. If you meet all the required packages, ShowEQ should complie ok.

I believe that Tanner has RPMs available for Fedora and Debian. If you dont want to complie SEQ the RPMs are the way to go. I do not know if they would work on Live CD Linux though.

CeleSEQ
06-09-2006, 12:16 AM
I'm actually the one that builds RPMs, Tanner builds for Debian-based distros.

My RPMs are available at http://fedora.showeq.org

I build for Fedora Core 3, Fedora Core 4, and RHEL4 (which should work on Centos4 as well)

What is a CentOS 5 Live CD? I tried to find such a thing but failed. Could you provide a link? I'd be a little surprised to see such a thing really... the CentOS project rebuilds Red Hat Enterprise Linux, and so there really shouldn't be a CentOS 5 until RHEL5 is out.

wololo
06-09-2006, 12:22 AM
errr.. typo? hehe centos 4, on live cd =P

soo... do you think that using the live CD of centos 4 id be able to actually do all of the stuff needed to run showeq?

CeleSEQ
06-09-2006, 04:16 PM
I'll let you know soon, I've got the 4.3 livecd downloading. There's not enough detail in the release announcement to say for sure.

wololo
06-09-2006, 04:20 PM
thanks =)

CeleSEQ
06-11-2006, 03:35 PM
Okay, tested this, and it works just fine.

Boot from the live cd, and log in as centos_user (you'll need to set a password for centos_user and root when you boot, it uses the same password for both accounts)

Open a web browser, go to http://fedora.showeq.org and download the RPM for RHEL4 (right-click it and save as). The default location for downloads is ~centos_user/Desktop/

Open a terminal by rightclicking the desktop and choosing Open terminal. Type

$ su -

Then enter the password you chose for root. Then

# rpm -ivh ~centos_user/Desktop/showeq-5.4.0.0-2.rhel4.i386.rpm
# showeq

SEQ will start, and if your network is set up correctly you'll be seeing skittles. Remember that the showeq machine must be able to see the network traffic for the EQ box, so it must be on a true hub not a switch.

Hope that helps, enjoy. Oh, and I didn't check, but I think you'd probably have to install the rpm each time you boot from the live cd, as I don't think it keeps that stuff from boot to boot.

KaL
06-12-2006, 03:03 PM
If you have access to your hard drive, you could store the RPM and a script to set everything up and run it. It would be nice if there were a standard for CD-based distro's to run startup scripts or mount home directories off of a USB key or hard drive partition.

I've moved recently, and I have all of my "extra" PC's in storage, including my Linux box, so I'm thinking of using my laptop for ShowEQ. I'm using a gigabit switch, but I've used it before with ShowEQ by using ettercap.

CeleSEQ
06-13-2006, 02:01 AM
The live cd definitely mounts usb drives, i had my camera card in my card reader when i booted it and it found it, mounted it, and put it on the desktop.