PDA

View Full Version : What version of Linux

Tadyenrt
07-24-2006, 08:11 PM
First time back in a couple years. I used Redhat Linux 9 last go-round, but I have switched computers and that isn't an easy option anymore. I looked into buying the latest version of Redhat Linux, but it is insanely expensive now.

What is the recommended approach for a newb? What Linux distribution is the most common for ShowEQ. That is all I run on Linux.

Thanks!

Cryonic
07-24-2006, 08:27 PM
Fedora is the latest RH for consumer use. EL is for servers and enterprise environment use, though you can still download it (the cost is for support) from RH or variants like CentOS.

purple
07-24-2006, 08:28 PM
Probably Fedora Core or some type of Debian. Ubuntu seems to be all the rage these days. All the hip cats are doing it.

Tadyenrt
07-25-2006, 05:28 AM
Thanks you guys.

There used to be some really good 'from-scratch' installation instructions (for getting all the required components for the OS in order to compile & run ShowEQ) posted on the site too, like:
1) Install RH 9.0 making sure to include the xyz and abc options.
2) Go to zzz.com and download gcc3.11 and install it.
3) Now follow the instructions for installing ShowEQ.

Are those still around somewhere? I recall there being specific requirements that were not part of the generic Linux install. In fact I remember beating my head against the keyboard a lot before I found those instructions.

purple
07-25-2006, 07:48 AM
Modern distributions map dependencies for you. I'd imagine if you use a pre-packaged showeq for your distribution, you'd just have to install the showeq package appropriate to your distribution, and the package manager (apt, yum, portage, etc.) will take care of the rest.

Tadyenrt
07-25-2006, 10:48 AM
...install the showeq package appropriate to your distribution, and ...

Thanks Purple. I'm confused by this however. I see only one showeq package on the download page, rather than different packages for different Linux distributions. So I am thinking that I am misunderstanding the use of the term 'package' in this context.

purple
07-25-2006, 11:16 AM
The sourceforge download page is the upstream source for ShowEQ. Some people take that tarball and repackage for specific distributions.

For example, CeleSEQ creates rpms for various asundry rpm-based distributions like Fedora Core and Centos. Tanner creates debs for various asundry debian-based distributions like Debian stable and Ubuntu. These are available from other places and whenever there is a News post with a new version, the packagers pile on with references to their new packages (for example here (http://www.showeq.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5609)).

All the gibberish they post is meaningless to me. I wouldn't know what to do with an rpm, or where my apt-sources are. But for people who use those distributions, I assume they can translate that gibberish into how to get showeq.

spack
07-25-2006, 11:52 AM
SuSE 10.1 works just fine. I switched from Fedora Core 3 up to 4 and then over to SuSE 10 to 10.1 finally. I choose to compile which is easy as long as you make sure you have the development libraries installed as well. For SuSE these were included on the install discs. For Fedora, I recall easily getting them through YUM updates. YMMV! Viva la SuSE! Get SuSE 10.1 here (http://en.opensuse.org/). Thank you for your support.

datadog
07-25-2006, 11:29 PM
OMG use debian!! :)

uRit1u2CBBA=
07-26-2006, 12:46 AM
Gentoo 4tw! :) lol (someone had to say it)

Could_Be_Anyone
07-28-2006, 08:35 AM
Gentoo also