PDA

View Full Version : My Setup Notes

Chains20
08-10-2006, 09:19 AM
Just finished getting my ShowEQ all set up and thought I'd share my notes.

Linux Police, please forgive the transgressions I am about to commit, in particular the utterances of the "W" word.

Hardware: 1 network switch, 2 systems, 1 monitor, no KVM switch.
Computer 1: Windows, FTP server for remote backups, disc burner, email client, web browser, general non-gaming use. Not enough horsepower for EQ.
Computer 2: Windows, EQ.

Of the 2 systems, only Computer 1 would be a candidate for a Linux install, and since it's relied upon for remote backups I wasn't about to do a conversion at this time. I installed Virtual PC and proceeded with Debian. At this point I was trying to get X-Windows going, but due to problems with the video drivers I switched to VMWare. Time wasted, because I then switched tactics and skipped X-Windows within Debian, opting to install Cygwin/X on Computer 2 instead. I enabled routing in the Debian VM and reconfigured Computer 2 to route through the Debian VM.

So I'm running ShowEQ in Debian in a virtual machine on Computer 1, displaying the ShowEQ window on Computer 2 where I also run EQ in windowed mode. Cygwin/X takes a meager 4ish MB of memory to display the ShowEQ window, freeing up the rest for EQ.

To the contributors of this community: Thank you.