PDA

View Full Version : Need help, complete noob

reparm
09-06-2006, 06:40 AM
This is probably a really dumb question, but I just got linux fc3 running on my computer and I found an rpm package for showeq5.5.0.0.1 for fc3 and it installed with no errors and says that the showeq package has been installed. Now I can't figure out how to run the package, when I try to run it it doesn't say it doesn't exist but it doesn't do anything. I know theres probably alot more to it then just double clicking an rpm file...but i don't know where to go from there. If someone could help me out I would appretiate it.

*edit* wow never mind it really was that easy, it was somthing with the network cards not working or somthin, I haven't had a chance to test it yet, but it seems to be reading the maps just fine. *edit*

reparm
09-06-2006, 01:24 PM
So I can now get the showeq program loaded, but it's still not detecting any clients. Need some help don't know what I'm doing wrong. This is what I get when I first start showeq in the console:
[root@localhost ~]# showeq
ShowEQ 5.5.0.0, released under the GPL.
SINS 0.5, released under the GPL.
All ShowEQ source code is Copyright (C) 2000-2005 by the respective ShowEQ Devel opers
ShowEQ comes with NO WARRANTY.

You may redistribute copies of ShowEQ under the terms of
The GNU General Public License.
See: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html for more details...

For updates and information, please visit http://seq.sourceforge.net/
ShowEQ 5.5.0.0, Built from 'main.cpp' on Jun 17 2006 at 20:28:03
CVS: @(#) $Id: main.cpp,v 1.35 2005/10/05 15:29:08 cmmalone Exp $ $Name: $
Using GCC version: 3.4.4
Using glibc version: 2.3
Using Qt version: 3.3.4
Using headers from linux version: 2.4.20
Using EQItemDB: @(#) $Id: itemdb.cpp,v 1.12 2005/12/10 23:27:15 cmmalone Exp $ $Name: $
Using GDBM: This is GDBM version 1.8.0, as of May 19, 1999.
Running on Linux release 2.6.9-1.667 for processor i686

Using config file '/root/.showeq/showeq.xml'
Loaded preferences file: /usr/share/showeq/seqdef.xml!
Unable to open file: /root/.showeq/showeq.xml!
Info: Listening for first client seen.
Info: Initializing Packet Capture Thread:
Info: Filtering packets on device eth0, searching for EQ client...
Warning: Spells: Failed to open: '/usr/share/showeq/spells_us.txt'
Warning: GuildMgr: Could not load guildsfile, /root/.showeq/tmp/guilds2.dat
Debug: ItemDB: Disabled
Info: Loading Filters from '/root'
Info: Loading Zone Filter File: /root
Info: Loading Zone Filter File: /root
Info: Categories Reloaded
Info: No Map found for zone 'unknown'!
Info: Checked for all variants of 'unknown.map', 'unknown.txt', and 'unknown _1.txt'
Info: in directories '/root/.showeq/maps' and '/usr/share/showeq/maps'!
Warning: EQStr: Failed to open '/usr/share/showeq/eqstr_us.txt'

and this is what shows up when I click search for next client seen in the network settings:
Info: Listening for next client seen. (you must zone for this to work!)
Info: Filtering packets on device eth0, searching for EQ client...
Debug: PCAP Filter Set: udp[0:2] > 1024 and udp[2:2] > 1024 and ether proto 0x0800

When I load the map files they work but I don't seem to be getting the client info from the computer running eq. I'm on a belkin cable internet router with both computers. Not sure where to go from here.

purple
09-06-2006, 01:47 PM
The showeq machine must see client<->server traffic. With your router, more than likely it is also a switch and will only send packets to where they need to go. This means the eq packets go between the EQ client, the router, and the EQ servers only. The showeq machine does not even get a chance to see them.

You need to fix this problem somehow. This is done either through software and knowledge of routing or hardware and knowledge of configuring it. The easiest configuration would be buying a cheap ass hub (that actually is a hub - not all things called "hub" are actually hubs, some are switches) and plus stuff together. There are other solutions if you don't want to find a hub. Search around the forums for them.

reparm
09-06-2006, 01:59 PM
I think I'll just end up buying a hub. If I connect the true hub to my current router which is probably switch, and have my internet go out of the router, into the true hub and then into my computer will that fix the problem or will I have to route the internet using only the true hub? I read on that dorm room post that a solution would be to hook up a hub on the dorm ports which is pretty much doing the same thing...right? >< thank you for the help

purple
09-06-2006, 04:30 PM
If you buy a hub, more or less you will put it between your router and your computers. Hubs are dumb and everything shoved down one port of the hub is sent out on all ports on the hub. But make 100% sure you get a hub (Netgear DS104 for example) that actually is a hub and isn't just a switch marketed as a hub. Then you plug the hub's uplink to the router, and then plug in both of your computers to the hub. Then, all traffic between the EQ client and the server will be copied to the showeq machine by the hub.

Or something.

reparm
09-06-2006, 08:15 PM
She's working fine now that I threw a hub in between them. I had a question related to the actual seq program functions now: is there a way to actualy see the actual times things are going to spawn? or can you just track mobs that are already up (thats what i've been able to do so far), what does the "reset mana" button do, and where can I get a copy of the spells_us.txt? thx for all the help :)

purple
09-06-2006, 08:20 PM
spells_us.txt is in your everquest folder on your EQ client.

seq learns spawns over time, but it's semi-buggy especially once you've collected a crapload of spawn points. Usually once it has seen a spawn spot spawn 3 times it starts guessing times and spawn spots start turning yellow and red.

Reset mana looks like it resets seq's guess for max mana, including items. Stat handling stuff is both unexciting and potentially broken, since it's not very useful and I don't really care about it. I actually think the stat building stuff that takes your items and makes you wear them isn't actually wired up.

reparm
09-06-2006, 09:42 PM
thanks you've been extremly helpful :)

Cryonic
09-07-2006, 08:17 AM
but it won't be able to time a spawn if you log or zone out. It will have to relearn by seeing a mob spawn at the spawnpoint, so for long respawns it won't know when it spawns unless you sit there for the entire cycle.

reparm
09-09-2006, 02:05 AM
Ahhh ty cryonic I was wondering about that actually. I was hoping I could make use of that function for 3 day and week spawns to see when they were gonna spawn next but I guess thats out of the question then unless I stay in the zone for 3-7 days. Thats to bad that the eq server doesn't send the exact time info. Oh well, it's still a very nice tool. I'm enjoying it.

reparm
09-23-2006, 10:12 PM
I finally got everything running smoothly and now this damn patch. I've been reading around quite a bit on the forums and it seems the best route for me would be to just sit back and wait for a package release. My question is for celeSEQ, will your new packages be up at http://fedora.showeq.org (http://fedora.showeq.org/) ? thats where i downloaded the other one and i know it's kinda a stupid question but i want to make sure i'm looking for the release in the right place. thanks :)

Cryonic
09-24-2006, 10:54 AM
When the next version is released, the packagers add their own information to the news thread announcement along with the location.

uRit1u2CBBA=
09-24-2006, 11:42 AM
The official release of 5.6 needs to happen first in its tarball format before the pagacke releasers can do their thing.

so far, all we have are a few submitted patches that make it work 95%, but there's not been an official release yet.

CeleSEQ
09-24-2006, 09:37 PM
Yep, I usually don't package until there's an official release, with building all the different variants it takes a fair bit of time. Any time I build, it's at http://fedora.showeq.org though, and I post in the official thread.

If we don't have a release package on Monday afternoon, I'll build an interim package though.