PDA

View Full Version : Seg faulting, any suggestions?

sumyung
02-21-2002, 04:20 PM
Hey guys. I followed that faq for RH 7.2. I had no problems except this minor one. I couldn't find all the packages in the list. It was late though so I may have missed them. I couldn't find:

gdbm
glibc
glibc-common
m4

those arent the actual rpm names but if you want taht, go to the FAQ.

anyways, I compiled SEQ with NO ERRORS. so maybe those pacakages did get installed and I just missed them.

I start SEQ and it decodes but it seg faults randomly. once again I followed the FAQ to a T except for the problem mentioned earlier. any suggestions? thanks!

Cryonic
02-22-2002, 01:38 AM
A program that segfaults is not abnormal, it's just the linux version of a BSoD. Of course the OS keeps going and just the offending program goes away. This is usually caused by a program misbehaving.

If SEQ created a core file during the segfault then the developers might be able to use a bt of it to help isolate the problem and fix it.

sumyung
02-23-2002, 03:59 PM
so your definition of normal is a program that has an error and ends itself within minutes of starting.... hmmm

Cryonic
02-23-2002, 04:54 PM
as opposed to one that takes the OS down, yes. And as I stated if SEQ generated a core file then it will help the developers track down what SEQ was doing wrong that caused it to SegFault.

fryfrog
02-23-2002, 06:48 PM
if your linux distro is working, you have glibc. its pretty much a requirement of every rpm package on your system :)