PDA

View Full Version : Help applying diff.zip file

cydex01
09-21-2006, 10:48 AM
By no means am I an expert, but here's what I did
1. Downloaded and unziped the diff file into my seq folder.
2. #patch -p1 < diff
3. Then every time is asked for file to patch, manually entered the full path and file name
(see above post)
4. Then ran the normal compile routine: ./configure, make, make install
5. Launched showeq and all works good.

I'm sure there's a faster way to apply the diff file, but that's how I did it and it worked.

Hope this helps...To begin, I'm running FC5 and am green to linux. I've got showeq installed as of the day of the EQ patch, so I'm not sure it's running; so now I'm trying to install this diff.zip.

When trying this #patch -p1 < diff command I get:
missing header for context diff at line 3 of patch
can't find file to patch at input line 3
Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
The text leading up to this was:
------------------------
|*** /showeq-5.5.0.0/src/interface.cpp
|--- interface.cpp
------------------------
File to patch:

At this point, I type in:
/root/Desktop/showeq-5.5.0.0/src/interface.cpp
or
/root/Desktop/showeq-5.5.0.0/src/messageshell.cpp
or
""spawn.cpp

in any situation, I get:
Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected! Assume -R? [n]

At this point, no matter what I do; it'll go to say "apply anyway," then I'll type "y" and it'll fail each "Hunk" and "save the reject file to ""'spawn.cpp.rej.'

Can anyone direct me where I'm going wrong?

CeleSEQ
09-21-2006, 11:25 AM
I really recommend for all you people trying to apply this diff, you chill out a little and wait for the release. There's a reason that information was in the Developers Forum, it's because it's not ready for release, or at least not packaged for general use yet.

Yes, if you want to follow along the development stuff as it's being fixed, by all means, come along for the ride. But if you don't know how to apply a diff, it's going to be a steep learning curve, and dev resources need to be focused on the job at hand, which is getting a finished new release out, not helping people apply work-in-progress patches.

So, all that said, the answer to your question is that you're trying to apply your patch from the wrong directory, and/or mis-using the -p argument. Read the man page for patch, and try up a directory.

Better yet, hang tight, a release should be forthcoming shortly.

tanner
09-21-2006, 11:51 AM

You are NOT running Debian, if you where you could get my pre-built package and just install it. :-)

For the patch-challenged, you can get my Debian-already-patched tarball here: ftp://ftp.real-time.com/linux/real-time/pool/main/s/showeq

You should be able to tar -xvzf; ./configure; make; make install that.

I'd still recommend running Debian :-)

Sing
09-21-2006, 04:37 PM
To begin, I'm running FC5 and am green to linux. I've got showeq installed as of the day of the EQ patch, so I'm not sure it's running; so now I'm trying to install this diff.zip.

When trying this #patch -p1 < diff command I get:
missing header for context diff at line 3 of patch
can't find file to patch at input line 3
Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
The text leading up to this was:
------------------------
|*** /showeq-5.5.0.0/src/interface.cpp
|--- interface.cpp
------------------------
File to patch:

At this point, I type in:
/root/Desktop/showeq-5.5.0.0/src/interface.cpp
or
/root/Desktop/showeq-5.5.0.0/src/messageshell.cpp
or
""spawn.cpp

in any situation, I get:
Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected! Assume -R? [n]

At this point, no matter what I do; it'll go to say "apply anyway," then I'll type "y" and it'll fail each "Hunk" and "save the reject file to ""'spawn.cpp.rej.'

I was having the same problem. I tried -p0 instead of -p1 and that worked for me.

Chains20
09-24-2006, 04:31 PM
Obviously I'm doing something wrong.... Running Debian and originally did the install using Tanner's guide.
changed dir to /usr/bin, downloaded showeq_5.5.0.0~UNOfficial1-3.tar.gz from Tanner's link.
Tar command worked.
./configure returns this at the end:
checking if g++ supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking whether the g++ linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
checking how to hardcode library paths into programs... immediate
appending configuration tag "F77" to libtool
checking for supported libc version... yes
checking for X... no
checking for IceConnectionNumber in -lICE... no
checking for libXext... no
checking for extra includes... no
checking for extra libs... no
checking for libz... no
checking for libpng... no
checking for Qt... no
>> Unable to locate your Qt includes...
configure: error: Please verify your Qt devel install!

CeleSEQ
09-24-2006, 11:33 PM
It would appear that you don't have qt-devel installed, (not sure if that's the Debian name for it, but development libraries for qt is what you're missing)

Chains20
09-25-2006, 12:48 PM
Just guessed and tried "sudo apt-get install qt" and "sudo apt-get install qt-devel" but neither worked. How do I find out the exact name of the package I need?

Even if there was a new release available now, I'd still like to know. Trying to increase my Debian knowledge.

Carpathian
09-25-2006, 03:32 PM
Hola,
I don't personally use Debian, so someone correct me if I'm wrong. But the command for debian should be "sudo apt-get libqt3-dev".

CeleSEQ
09-25-2006, 04:10 PM
Yep, I had to look it up, but libqt3-dev looks right. You can search for package names like that by going to http://www.us.debian.org/distrib/packages

Chains20
09-25-2006, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the help... Getting closer but not there yet. Here's the latest output:

checking for Qt... yes
>> Found version.: 3.3.4
>>> Headers......: /usr/include/qt3/
>>>> Libraries...: /usr/lib/
>>>> Documentation...: Unable to locate?!?
configure: WARNING: Qt documenation not installed?!
configure: error: Something wicked happened while trying to validate your Qt installation!!! Please verify your libraries...
Tried a "sudo apt-get install qt3-doc" which installed fine but still get this error. I assume I've got the wrong Qt documentation package.

tanner
09-25-2006, 11:50 PM
Just guessed and tried "sudo apt-get install qt" and "sudo apt-get install qt-devel" but neither worked. How do I find out the exact name of the package I need?

Even if there was a new release available now, I'd still like to know. Trying to increase my Debian knowledge.

Why are you trying to build it from source?

There are pre-compiled binaries for sid that can be downloaded, info in my .sig...

IF you are trying to build it from source read the FAQ, also listed in my .sig.

http://faq.eqenchanters.org/index.php?action=artikel&cat=383683&id=45&artlang=en

Let debian do the work.

In short:

% cd /tmp
% apt-get source showeq
% sudo apt-get build-dep showeq
% cd showeq-x.x
% dpkg-buildpackage -b -rfakeroot
% cd ..
% sudo dpkg -i showeq-x.x.x.deb

Chains20
09-26-2006, 08:13 AM
Indeed, my preference would be to use your pre-compiled binaries. I used them for my current install several weeks ago. However, I don't know the correct procedure for upgrading them. I tried re-running the commands "sudo apt-get update" and "sudo apt-get install showeq", but received this message:

Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
showeq is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 5 not upgraded.

Chains20
09-26-2006, 01:10 PM
Been floundering around a bit, and ran synoptic to see if I could see anything in a different light....

I do have Tanner's sid repository in my repository list, and have updated my package cache, but when I search for "showeq", I only see
showeq: ver 5.5.0.0-1sarge1 installed, same as latest version
plus entries for ...-dev, ...-doc, ...-filters, ...-contrib, and ...-maps.
I don't see a version "5.5.0.0~UNOfficial1-2" listed.

debian1:~# cat /etc/apt/sources.list
# deb file:///cdrom/ sarge main

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 r2 _Sarge_ - Official i386 Binary-1 (20060420)]/ unstable contrib main

# deb ftp://mirror.direct.ca/pub/linux/debian/ stable main
# deb-src ftp://mirror.direct.ca/pub/linux/debian/ stable main
deb-src ftp://ftp3.nrc.ca/debian/ stable main
deb ftp://ftp3.nrc.ca/debian/ stable main

#Unstable
deb ftp://ftp.real-time.com/linux/real-time/ sid custom main non-free contrib
deb-src ftp://ftp.real-time.com/linux/real-time/ sid custom main non-free contrib

#Stable
deb ftp://ftp.real-time.com/linux/real-time/ sarge custom main non-free contrib
deb-src ftp://ftp.real-time.com/linux/real-time/ sarge custom main non-free contrib

#Testing
# deb ftp://ftp.real-time.com/linux/real-time/ etch custom main non-free contrib
# deb-src ftp://ftp.real-time.com/linux/real-time/ etch custom main non-free contrib

# deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib

Chains20
09-26-2006, 01:33 PM
My apologies for the continued spam. I deselected all other repositories and refreshed the cache, at which point I noticed that showeq-dev version 5.5.0.0~UNOfficial1-2 was not installed. I was initially under the impression that this was a developer tool, not required for actually running showeq. Went back to Tanner's post and read it again...

Format: 1.7
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 11:24:57 -0500
Source: showeq
Binary: showeq-dev showeq showeq-doc
Architecture: source i386 all
Version: 5.5.0.0~UNOfficial1-2
Distribution: unstable

When the Binary line shows three items, does that mean all three must be installed for it to work?

I've installed showeq-dev now, but since I'm still at work (was able to remote to home), so can't login to EQ to test showeq yet.

Chains20
09-26-2006, 04:19 PM
Well, that didn't work. I still can't seem to get apt-get to see a new version of showeq at Tanner's repository.

tanner
09-27-2006, 02:58 PM
You are running sarge, my packages are for sid

Distribution: unstable

% sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

if you really want to run sid and my packages.

Chains20
09-27-2006, 04:15 PM
Tanner, can you please confirm? I see an Unofficial package for showeq-dev, but don't see any for showeq. Should I?

CeleSEQ
09-27-2006, 05:09 PM
What he's saying is he only builds packages for a newer version of Debian than you're running. So no, you won't be able to install those packages.