PDA

View Full Version : Going to reinstall Linux, which version of Fedora to use?

Noobian
09-22-2006, 08:21 AM
The title pretty much says it all. I'm going to rebuild my Linux box and I'd like some input on which version of Fedora to use.

Thanks;

Noob

tanner
09-22-2006, 10:47 AM
Debian sid or Ubuntu edgy

CeleSEQ
09-22-2006, 10:55 AM
I no longer recommend Fedora, the release cycle is just too fast for people who are not spending a lot of time on Linux. If you install Fedora Core 5 now for example, official support for it will be gone in about 9 months.

If you want a RedHat type of system, get CentOS (http://www.centos.org), it is a re-built version of RedHat Enterprise Linux. It has a nice long support cycle (5 years+!), and is nicely run, with lots of resources behind it.

Otherwise, the Debian-based distros like Tanner mentioned are a good choice too, but you'll need to learn The Debian Way (tm) of doing things :)

badger
09-22-2006, 12:55 PM
I use Slackware myself, it runs showeq great and I've never had any problems with it. for running simple apps I like it better than Debian (still can't get use to the way Debian does things).

Backspace
09-22-2006, 03:18 PM
I use Mandriva 2006. Had to manually load 2 devel rpms to run the compile, but showeq works great for me.

uRit1u2CBBA=
09-22-2006, 05:51 PM
I'm biased to gentoo - but if you have no linux expirience before, it's not one for you. :)