PDA

View Full Version : SEQ for Vanguard?

Zeppo
10-16-2006, 02:18 PM
Ok, I just got in to the Vanguard Beta last week, and so far it looks really cool.
Of course though, if there was some kind of map program like SEQ for it, that would be of great help.

Has anyone tried it, or thought about it?
I know SEQ saved my ass many MANY times in EQ.
It was an invaluable tool.

Thanks!

BlueAdept
10-16-2006, 10:49 PM
I doubt you will ever see another program with the functionallity that SEQ/MySEQ has. I think everyone that has come out since only shows a small radius around you. Saves on bandwidth and from doing what SEQ does.

Who knows though. Someone may get the itch to make one, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

CeleSEQ
10-17-2006, 11:04 AM
To expand upon what BA is saying, it's unlikely any current game developer would create a network protocol for their game like the original EQ developers did. At zone time, EQ transfers information about every spawn in the zone to the client. I assume they did this in order to put as much network traffic as possible up front during the zone loading time, and reduce the amount of traffic that was needed during active play. At the time EQ was released, modems were still fairly common, so that was an important design restriction I'm sure. They originally advertised eq as playable on a 28800 modem connection. That doesn't completely explain why they did it the way they did, but perhaps it played a role. The only other explanation I've ever come up with is "they just didn't know any better".

Modern games do know better, they make efforts not to trust the client with anything that it doesn't need immediately. In EQ2 for example, spawn information is only given for a radius around the player that is slightly greater than visual range, and most other games have similar setups now. No SEQ-style app can show information that isn't given to the client in one way or another, so you would only be able to show information about spawns/objects in your visual range anyway in such a system.

Zeppo
10-17-2006, 02:06 PM
Ok, I understand that part.

But what about the mapping part?
If it would just show me the way through a city or something, that would be great.
Not sure how that would work, though.

BlueAdept
10-17-2006, 03:18 PM
A lot of the games dont allow a man in the middle attack any more (like what SEQ does). That would mean that you get a program like myseq that would have to pull key or the information your looking for from the client and then relay it to a program running on a different pc. It would mean that it would probably be detectable and probably bannable.

There are just a lot hurdles to overcome. Not saying that someone wont do it, just saying that someone has to be pretty driven to do it.

Zeppo
10-18-2006, 04:04 PM
Well...poo.

Oh well.
Thanks

ieatacid
10-29-2006, 12:39 PM
I believe this will have an in-game "radar" type UI window for Vanguard: http://vg.isxgames.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page