PDA

View Full Version : fedora 4 to 6

eqhunter
11-05-2006, 02:38 PM
I have fedora 4 running and was thinking of up grading the computer. Should I just keep FC4 or upgrade to FC6?

Also anyone have any AMD board recommendations? I seem to shop at Fry's lot.

Hunter

Spaz
11-06-2006, 10:56 AM
Unless you like toying with Lunix and tweaking, stay with 4. It seems like 6 can have issues with SEQ. There are some threads on it, at least one fairly recent.

I've hit a point where I just about always buy ASUS boards. Most of my systems are built for gaming, though, and I'm usually buying whatever their current top end board is. For a SEQ box, I'd go for something reliable rather than high performance and save some cash.

SEQ seems to run great on almost anything, and if you're not compiling it yourself then performance doesn't matter -- unless you do other things with it.

CeleSEQ
11-07-2006, 10:46 AM
I haven't tested on 6 yet, but will be soon. It's a bit of a tricky situation really... honestly, I don't have sufficient test boxes for building the versions of Fedora packages that people use. Fedora's fast release cycle means that it is difficult for casual users to keep up with supported versions.

My recommendation would be to go with CentOS4, which is a rebuild of RHEL4 but doesn't cost what RHEL does. With RHEL's 7 year support cycle and 18 month release, you won't have to upgrade the OS for a long time unless you choose to do so. Fedora Core release cycle of approximately 6 months and a 2-version support cycle means you'll need to upgrade the OS every year or so minimum if you wish to stay supported (although there is the Fedora Legacy Project which extends that for a while)

I will be trying to decide on some reasonable way to provide sensible packaging Fedora over the next few months... my packages are way way behind the FC release cycle (I'm still building FC3 and FC4, both fully unsupported now by the FC project). I do have a fairly limited set of machines to build on though, so i have to make some decisions on how I'm going to choose what to build on.

eqhunter
11-07-2006, 07:50 PM
thanks for the info... think I'll use fc4 dvd that I have.