PDA

View Full Version : Fedora Core 6. Scary.

viruskiller
11-20-2006, 11:41 AM
Hey there,

Let me introduce myself by saying that I know virtually nothing about development or linux :)

My little saga here started on friday when I got a hankering for showEQ and discovered that the windows version was no more.

So, I booted up VMware, downlaoded and created a fedora core 6 install. Downloaded the source to SEQ and started having fun attempting to compile it.

After MUCH excitement, and reading of these forums I managed to get an executable up and running to discover that it does nothing, nothing at all. it just sits there claiming I am a level 1 human warrior in an unknown zone.

I thought perhaps vmware was a less than ideal environment so I pinched a spare PC from my old man and built a proper machine, this time I discovered and used the version 5.1.6.0 RPM. Still no joy.

So I zoned about a bit, mucked about with the windows firewall on the other machine and got to the stage I could ping both boxes from each other, still nothing.

So, after I finish this post, this Fedora Core 6 box will be ceremonially burned and replaced with a centos 4 version as reccomended on these forums.

Whilst I am waiting for the ISO's to download does anyone have any idea why ShowEQ could be so unresponsive ?

The RPM initially complatined about libpcap.so.8.3, as the INSTALL file suggested it might. There was another libpcap installed on the machine that I had to remove in order to be able to install a version that the RPM would accept, The package manager says that version libpcap-14:0.8.3 is installed.

With that out of the way I think the next thing it complained about was the other pre-requisite which I duly acquired and installed.

The download of Centos is going to take at least an hour, so if anyone is watching who can come up with any ideas before the Fedora 6 box gets nuked I would be most grateful and willling to give anything a shot that doesnt involve developer level knowledge of linux.

Cheers,

-Ed.

bonkersbobcat
11-20-2006, 11:49 AM
Whoa thats a lot of effort, and sounds like a lot of wheel spinning. It sounds like your problem is not getting SEQ compiled and running, but rather actually capturing packets.

There are plenty of posts and instructions here on this topic but you will want to make sure that your SEQ box is logically on a HUB (not a switch or a "hub" that is really a switch inside) with the EQ box. Use tcpdump to ensure that you can see EQ related packets from the SEQ box.

BB

viruskiller
11-20-2006, 11:56 AM
wheel spinning indeed.

I will try to show my config ..

BroadBand-hole-in-wall ->
---------> Linksys DSL G60AT (192.168.1.1)
----------------------->EQ Box 192.168.1.3 DHCP
----------------------->SEQ Box 192.168.1.2 DHCP

Maybe thats a better diagram...

viruskiller
11-20-2006, 12:19 PM
From this post of yours Bob...

"If you are set up so that you have Internet - Linksys - Linux - Windows you should be able to make it work. This is only true if you have two network cards in the Linux box and the linux box is acting as a router and all packets from the Windows box (EQ) are going through the linux box (SEQ)

If, on the other hand you have the Linux box and the Windows box on the same network (both plugged into the Linksys switch), it will not work.

Run tcpdump on the linux box and start up EQ. If you don't see lots of packets going between Windows and a Sony server somewhere, you don't have a working setup."

It sounds like I dont have a workable network setup.

gotta go bathe daughter. back soon..

purple
11-20-2006, 12:43 PM
If by the windows version of showeq you mean MySEQ, it's still maintained. If that's what you want, maybe you'll do better just getting it instead of trying to get seq to work.

If you have a switch and not a hub, then you have to force packets from the EQ client to the linux machine or else the linux box never even sees the packets. You can do this using hardware by using a hub because the hub broadcast all packets for all machines to all the other machines.

Or you can do this in software a couple of ways. The easiest is to always leave your linux box on and route all your windows box traffic through the linux box. You can do this by setting the default gateway and having the linux box forward packets. Search around the forums for more information.

But if you just want MySEQ, just go get it. I don't know why you'd think it is dead.

viruskiller
11-20-2006, 01:07 PM
hmm. I think because I went over to the page I used to get it from and the last posts were from some time in mid 2005.

I have just downloaded another version from

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=10131&package_id=80983

and that has now installed. seems to be having issues with not wanting to connect, it says the target machine has activley rejected it .... better go read some more

purple
11-20-2006, 02:12 PM
I know nothing about myseq. But this is their messageboard too. Just go post in one of their forums instead of the ShowEQ ones.