PDA

View Full Version : My seq will not beep on alert spawn, what am i missing?

vmlinuz
02-23-2002, 03:35 AM
I have no sound card and would like to just use the system bell.

I started by adding a very common spawn to the the Alerted spawn section of the filter. Then sat in a zone and watched that section spawn with that type of mob, but there was no beeping.

Next I closed seq, and changed "SpawnAlertAudio 0" to "SpawnAlertAudio 1" inside showeq.conf, which resides in my /usr/local/share/showeq directory(i know this is being used because other changes i made are in effect). Still there was no beeping.

Then i went under Prefrences in KDE and told it to use the system bell for alerts. After this change i could now make the system bell sound when i hit Backspace in an empty console.

Yet still when Alert mobs spawn, they show up in the alert section, but with no accompaning system beep. Please tell me if you can think of anything i might be missing.

vmlinuz
02-23-2002, 04:28 AM
Is there a command to make Redhat KDE do a system beep? i could just stick that in place of the command line meant to run the sound file.

vmlinuz
02-25-2002, 07:56 PM
I figured this one out myself, i was suprised with how difficult it was to find a command line to generate a system beep.

while the showeq filters.conf file suggest that the system will beep by default, then run a command line, this is not true, or at least no longer true. I can see why however, because they are assuming that most people would like to play a sound file rather then hear a system beep. And you don't want to hear a system beep followed by your sound.

what you need to do to make showeq beep when an alerted spawn pops besides the stuff i already mentioned on this thread: change the line in showeq.conf that trys to load spawn.wav

Change:
SpawnAudioCommand "/usr/bin/esdplay spawn.wav &"

To:
SpawnAudioCommand "printf '\a' &"

I found i had to use single quotes to denote the \a feature because the double quotes i originally used confused showeq when loading the .conf file.

Showeq filters are very powerful and the more i use them the more creative i become with them, if you are not expeimenting with zone filter confs i highly suggest giving them a whirl, i wish i had tried them out ealier.

Cryonic
02-26-2002, 01:09 AM
My way:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <ncurses.h>
int main()
{
initscr();
beep();
endwin();
return(0);
}

cc -lncurses -o beep beep.c

fryfrog
02-26-2002, 11:41 AM
i believe you can also use a semi-odd kind of charactor to denote a beep. i THINK its ctrl-k or ctrl-m or something. ie, while in an editor (mabye vi?) you press ctrl and m or ctrl and k. when you execute that script, it is a beep. i use it on my headless router to denote when its up/shutting down.