PDA

View Full Version : A few questions

Bola
11-22-2006, 10:48 PM
Hello Everyone!

Ive been trying to install SEQ for a few days now, reading hundreds of posts, FAQ's and step-by-step guides, tho i find my self ending up here.

I know I should not be posting here, blabbering when the answer is out there, in one of the posts etc. that i missed, but i just cant do it anymore.

This is a cry for help!

Ive installed Fedora 6.

Updated it the best i could.

The problem I'm having is at the start, I'm kinda feeling despair when looking into the future and seeing just a heck load of problems waiting for me, after i cross this first, but i know thats just the way it is, the way of entering the world of Linux from the beginning.

Ok, so i hope i stuck a pity cord in you now, and you feel that this guy is more unlucky and more desperate than the rest of the "Please help me, i cant find the search button"

Argh! ok. I will just get on with it.

This is my first problem:

Downloading SEQ. Whoa, how hard can that be? :)

I'm logged in as root,
# cd /
# cvs -d:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq login
Logging in to :pserver:[email protected]:2401/cvsroot/seq
CVS password:

Gotten this far. And here my success steak ends and my problem begins:

Cvs [login aborted]: connect to [cvs.seq.sourceforge.net]:2401 failed: No route to host

So, what is this? Another of karma's strikes against me for not liking fluffy animals?

Is fedora even the best to install it on? I thought that Fedora and RedHat was the one and same? Well i did a few hours ago when installing Fedora instead of Suse because i thought it was the right program for SEQ.

If you have any suggestions or just hate and such you wanna post in my thread, go ahead. I feel i deserve all the hate i can get as there has allready been posted so much information and HOWTO's that i and no body else should be asking these questions.

Anyway, thank you for your time. Have a great day.

Bola

purple
11-23-2006, 08:34 AM
You shouldn't be using CVS to get ShowEQ. Your best path is to get a distribution that has a package maintainer and get packages from them. The second best path is to download the tarball from sourceforge and follow the instructions in the News posts on how to install that.

Note that if you use the tarball, dependencies are your problem. If you use a package from a package maintainer, then dependencies will be solved automatically by your distributions package manager.

All that said, it doesn't look like you have networking setup correctly on your linux box, so you're not going to be able to do anything.

I've not heard of anyone getting SEQ to work on Fedora 6, but people who know what they are doing don't come here and post that they know what they are doing. People who don't know what they are doing however do come here and there have been a post or two about FC6 not working.

In general, if I were a clueless newbie, I'd either choose Ubuntu and try to learn how to use Tanner's packages, choose FC 4 or 5 and use CeleSEQ's packages, just use the tarballs off sourceforge and let my distribution do a full developer install to make sure I had dependencies worked out, or go try MySEQ because it might be more my speed.

All the wordy self-deprecating bullshit is annoying. Cut it out.

Bola
11-23-2006, 04:15 PM
Thank you very much for the reply Purple, will try your suggestion with Ubuntu.

Have a nice day :)