PDA

View Full Version : Various n00b questions, after 6 months

dudex
12-03-2006, 04:06 PM
So I've been using ShowEQ for about 6 months and still have questions about a couple things.

1) The mapfiend.net guy said he originally got the idea when he saw ShowEQ and its wonderful, detailed maps. Why then do we have to download the maps from mapfiend if we want maps in ShowEQ? Where does mapfiend get their maps from now?!

2) As far as I know, I have at least 3 or 4 versions of ShowEQ on my computer since I'm such a Linux noob. How does Terminal know which version I mean when I simply type "showeq" from the root prompt (without entering a dir)?

3) To clean up my machine, do I just delete the various "seqx.x.x.x" folders, or is it like Windows where it puts files all over the place?

purple
12-03-2006, 06:30 PM
1) MapFiend gets maps from user submissions from people who make their maps in game using the in game mapping interface. Before the in game maps existed, people made showeq maps by hand. There are significantly more EQ users than ShowEQ users, so there's a wider pool of people from which someone might possibly care enough to make maps. Before, ShowEQ maps were the only maps.

You have to download maps from mapfiend because no one wants to deal with collecting maps with known licensing in order to redistribute them.

2) You have a path setup which controls the order directories are looked in. You can do "which showeq" and it will tell you which it is choosing. You can do "echo $PATH" to see the path it is using.

3) You can delete all the sources once you've got showeq installed. If you've always installed from the tarball, then you actually only have showeq installed once. Each time you rerun make install, it installs over the old version. The source directory is just there so you can build. Once you've done make install, you can safely delete it.

If you wanted to remove showeq completely, you would delete ~/.showeq, /usr/local/bin/showeq, and /usr/local/share/showeq.

uRit1u2CBBA=
12-03-2006, 07:30 PM
What I usually do, (using /usr/local/src as a base, you use whatever you use):

Let's say, I have showeq-5.1.0.0, showeq-5.2.0.0, and showeq-5.3.0.0 in there.

I'll set up a symbolic link to the most recent one called "showeq" using:

ln -s showeq-5.3.0.0 showeq

then my script that done the compiling knows to always go into /usr/local/src/showeq, regardless of the version.

When 5.4.0.0 was released, I did the following:

rm showeq
ln -s showeq-5.4.0.0 showeq

to move the link to the latest version.

When you do the "make install", it moves the "showeq" executable to the specified directory in the Makefile, and will overwrite each other every time you re-run it.

dudex
01-03-2007, 07:04 PM
So the whole ShowEQ program goes into a single executable file? Wow, I haven't seen that kind of efficiency since DOS 3.

[Edit: Somehow, the Mapfiend maps just started working. Never mind that one, I guess...]