PDA

View Full Version : Going Linkdead with Redhat 7.2

Mudman
02-23-2002, 03:34 PM
Going Link dead allot when using the Linux Box for a connection for EQ. I havn't seen it this bad in a long time. I

t is as if Redhat is terminating the connection every thirty minutes , thinking that the connection is inactive. Causing allot of ugly Link Deaths now...

I edited the connection , and made sure the checkbox for automatic reconnect/disconect connection is checked off. However it will redial the connection automatically anyway.. so maybe that means its allso disconecting too automaticcaly.
Also I tried checking this box and turning the Idile time way up but it will not dail up the internet with this box checked...

Anyone know how to manually shut off this off? or mabye it is the internet provider.

My connection looks really good then ding the external modem gets tripped off, and redhat starts redailing.. and it seems to be on thirty minute cycle, i think.. not sure cause sometimes it is not.

Can anyone reccomend to me why this might be happening or solutions to fix?

Regards to all
Thanks, Mudman

Mudman
02-23-2002, 06:31 PM
as an easy solution i looks like having some weppage that self updates up also might solve this problem.. but kind of sucks to use the bandwitdh thanks

can anyone recomment another way?

fryfrog
02-23-2002, 06:50 PM
unfortunatly, i have never used linux on dial up and just don't know the first thing about it. when the modem was hooked to the windows box, did it ever disconnect unexpectedly? i spose it could be either not so great phone lines or maybe someone in your house picking up the phone. might also check linuxdocs.org and see if they have any good dial up info.

Mudman
02-23-2002, 08:57 PM
thanks , but i think it is really Redhat 7.2 shutting it down ever 30 or so minutes or my internet provider. On the contrary if there is an email program or something running on another pc , Redhat doesnt seem to dump the connection. Problem is i think to tell redhat not to disconnect just for the hell of it .

Thanks

BlueAdept
02-24-2002, 08:52 AM
It most likely is your provider.

I used to have a similar problem with Earthlink. They didnt used to disconnect you, but instead they would just stop sending packets after 30 min of inactivity (I wish they had just disconnected me, my machine would have redialed).

All I did was to make a cron job that would do a ping every 5 min or so. Used to keep my connection alive.

dbrot
02-25-2002, 02:00 PM
I know that UDP packets must be allowed through to make EQ zone properly. I tried RH 7.2 and could not find any documentation on how to setup a UDP Loose rule. And I would crash everytime I zoned or would get booted every couple of minutes. So I switched back to RH 7.0.

http://everquest.station.sony.com/support/connection/firewall_proxy_information.jsp

Here is a link to Everquest firewall and proxy support.

Also check your modem dialup config and by bringing up your network monitor and right click your dialup and select Configure "what ever your connection name is". And then under Accounts select edit , then click on the Advanced tab and make sure the "Bring link up and down automatically" is not checked. This will stop RH from timing out your dialup connection. Now you only have to worry about your ISP disconnecting you but I have not had them disconnect me too much while playing EQ cause they thought my connection was idle.

fryfrog
02-26-2002, 11:35 AM
another problem with the 7.x line is that people are trying to use ipchains when they should be switching to iptables. that is one of THE most common causes of LD while zoning, using ipchains on a 2.4.x kernel (7.2+?)